Need a little guidance for getting a wheelchair at resort.

DeborahA

DIS Veteran
We are frequent visitors. We will be making an overnight trip in a few weeks and I will still be on crutches. I am non-weight bearing due to a hip fracture.
I don’t feel that I have the stamina to do 2 parks on my crutches alone.
Can I get a wheelchair at the resort and return it to the resort? I will need to move thru resort and onto a bus, get around the parks and ride the monorail.
Also, is there somewhere to leave my crutches should I need them?

Thank you!

The WDW resorts no longer offer wheelchairs to be borrowed by guests except for short-term emergency situations -- and from what I've heard a CM will accompany you (such as pushing the chair to your room).

You can rent from an offsite vendor. They'll deliver to the resort and you'll have the chair for use throughout your visit -- around the resort, parks, Disney Springs, visiting other resorts, etc. Post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread lists some offsite vendors.

Enjoy your vacation!

You can rent a wheelchair from one of the off-site rental places and have it delivered to your resort. The resorts have wheelchairs for short term emergency loans.

Post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has more information and contact numbers/websites.
You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
Many people bring their crutches because they find them helpful for getting on and off rides.

If you can walk with the crutches to get to the bus and from bus to entrance, you could rent inside the park. The wheelchair rental place might hold your crutches for you.

Remember that Disney Springs is now easily twice the size it was - and if you are staying at a larger Resort, you may benefit from having a rental wheelchair with you 24/7.

If you rent from an outside vendor, be sure to ask if they rent a crutch carrier that will allow you to carry the crutches on the chair. There are several solutions sold on Amazon; this one is highest rated, but is a bit more expensive.

If I can offer advice without knowing a thing about your situation... I would assume that your crutches are the standard armpit support type and would strongly recommend that you begin by switching to the Lofstrand style (forearm or arm cuff) crutch. If that is what you use now, please excuse my interjection.

The arm cuff style crutch is, simply put, a better crutch almost in every case. For your particular concern, they are much smaller than their armpit crutch counterpart and stow away much more cleanly. They take a little more getting used to but I think their lack of popularity in this country is a cultural artifact as they are the more common sort of crutch I see when traveling.

Whatever sort of solution you end up with, I wish you good luck in your trip.

Last minute add on tip...
Consider budgeting an extra $20 a day for your trip and take an Uber to and/or from the parks. For the minimal expense it's such a reduction of hassle. This only works if you are renting a chair within the parks or if your chair is if a very portable design.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!