Need advice from those who have toured Universal/IOA with an apx. 5 or 6 year old

Goofy'sFriend

"Gawrsh"
We are planning our first trip to Universal and IOA. We have 3 boys, but I'm concerned with our 5 1/2 yr. old. He will be fine on rides as long as we ease ourselves into them. I would hate to hop on a dark/loud ride first, because more than likely he won't venture to try other things at that point.

Should we start at Universal before IOA? What rides do you suggest that we start with? What rides are not a good idea for a 5 to 6 year old (besides the giant coasters)?

My other 2 boys are 14 and 11...they will have a great time I'm sure. We are staying for a week and at an onsite hotel. Any advice you have would be appreciated. Thanks!!

You're smart to be cautious, Goofy's Friend! We made the mistake of taking our son on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride when he was small, and we never gained our credibility back! After that, he cried throughout "It's A Small World", because it got dark! I remember that at IOA the rides in the Dr. Seuss area are geared towards younger kids. Maybe you can trade off with the other family members so that you won't be stuck on the little kid rides the whole time. The Pteranadon flyers are kind of high up, but you wait forever to only go around once! There is a great Jurassic Park themed playground that the kids love, with benches for the adults. Whatever you do though, don't force him onto anything that you're unsure of. It's not worth it!

Ok...well, I hear ya, my youngest is 7, so not too far off. I find he's great with rides that spin and/or are fast...but rides with scary images are what bother him. That said, obviously, some things freak out my 7 year old that plenty of 4 year olds can handle and vice versa!
You don't have to worry about Suess Landing...Cat in the hat is not dark, has a couple of good spins..not scary. Caro-Seuss-el is a merry go round, no problem there. OneFish, TwoFish, RedFish, BlueFish is no problem, (save a few squirts of water!)
If those are fine (and they will be!), if spinning isn't a problem then Storm Force would be fun. And for a zippy kids coaster (we're working up to thrills here!) the Flying Unicorn. Popeye and Bluto will get you soaked, but isn't scary...kind of rapid, but very fun. Dudley DoRight will get you soaked, but can be scary because the drop is pretty steep (more than Splash Mountain). If all this is going well, Spiderman should be fine too...my youngest wasn't even a little scared of that a year and a half ago. Triceratops is fine, camp jurassic is fun, and make sure he spends time with the Mystic Fountain! My son is scared of Poseidon's Fury and Jurassic Park River Adventure (some scary dino's and a good sized drop). Take advantage of the play areas, they're lots of fun!!!
At the Studios...ET should be fine...Hanna Barbera (sp?) is a simulator ride but not scary...DO go to CuriousGeorge's play area and bring a bathing suit, he'll have a blast, as will the older kids!
Kong is pretty mild as far as scare factor...he's very fake, my son was terrified of it, but did it and went right back on! Jaws can be scary...sit him on the INSIDE of a row. Twister, forget it...Terminator would be pretty intense too. Back to the Future should be fine if he enjoyed Hanna etc. It's a little more intense, but not too scary. MIB has a giant bug at the end, some kids get scared but if you play up the video game aspect of it, he won't notice!!! Earthquake is no real big deal, the lights go out and there is some shaking and explosions, so work up to it.

Sorry this is so long...and I know I forgot stuff, but I gotta go! :D

Karen

After the many five and six year olds that I have seen wander through the parks, here's my advice-

What Ms. Disney said is 100 percent valid, and ask your child-how dark is dark to them. Talk to the attendants. If when you are coming is slow, they will happily talk to them and show them what they can about how the ride works to help ease their fears about it.

9 times out of 10 most fear at that age is the fear of "WHAT IS GONNA HAPPEN?!!!". If that is explained-"remember, I told you that was going to happen..." it tends to make the whole trip a little easier for the younger set.

Have a great trip!

I've taken several children, including my own, down to the parks and I haven't found two alike YET...

The one thing I HAVE found is that children get their cues from their parents. If the parents are uncomfortable or fearful, the children get the same. On the other end of the spectrum, the children that are truly fearful cannot and should not be forced into something they don't want to handle. It's only a ride, after all.

My son has ONE fear, and it's vacuum cleaners. The day a vacuum cleaner shows up on the stage of T2, it's all over for him! :p

Thank you all for your opinions and to you Karen for such a thorough response...that really helps! I feel at a loss with these parks...we have never been to them. We were at Disney last year and I knew what to warn my DS about. I'm beginning to think that since we will have FOTL, that DH or I go on with our other DS's first...then make a decision for our youngest.

I'm glad to hear about Spiderman being okay. I have not been reading posts on Spiderman because I want the surprise of not knowing what happens. My DS loves Spiderman and I was hoping he could do this one.

I think he will like the water rides, but going up the last hill in Splash Mountain last year freaked him out. He was fine until that point...but the noise and the dark was too much.

He LOVED Barnstormer at Magic Kingdom. Are the kiddie coasters comparable to this one? I also noticed Woody Woodpecker's coaster doesn't have FOTL....are the lines long (mid June)?

Thanks again for ALL your help!!:)

I also noticed Woody Woodpecker's coaster doesn't have FOTL....are the lines long

Woody DOES have an "express" entrance. It is at the exit of the ride.

That's great to know Robinrs!:D Do you know....is the Woody coaster and the Flying Unicorn similar to Barnstormer in the MK? Are they much larger? Can parents and older brothers ride also? Thanks for all your help!:D

I would say Goofy's Barnstormer and Woody Woodpecker are about the same...Flying Unicorn is a step above them...faster, higher..that sort of thing (less "baby-ish looking")

And yup, you can ride too! :D

Karen

Thanks again Karen! I think I'm beginning to get "out of control" planning this trip. I did this last year before our Disney trip. I have so many questions...but our trip last year was the best ever to Disney because of these boards. We were SO prepared!

I feel like I did before my first trip to Disney as I plan this trip....it's so exciting going somewhere for the first time! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to answer!:D

Never a problem Goofy's Friend-

you're being very smart in checking in here, lots of folk do and it's nice to see that so many folk are wanting to be helpful.

Is your younger son into characters? UO has made strides recently in having more and more entertainment in the street. I do recommend getting the map in the am and checking on Entertainment showtimes, it is really great to have them listed.

Also, be aware that if you are carrying bags, they will be searched for security reasons.

Thanks Notatourist! I haven't even thought that far ahead about the entertainment. That would really help when the older brothers go on the big rides. I figured we better start watching alot of the Universal movies and shows so everyone knows all the characters/rides/shows!:D

I found out that if the crowds are lite you can get a lot of help from the CM's in halping ease the fears of kids. DD rode Kong last yr and liked it. This yr it scared her (she is 4 1/2). When we got off the girl that loaded the FOTL guest asked her if she liked it. When DD said it was scary the gril told us we could walk up the steps of the contro lbooth and look at the monitors so DD could get that Kong wasn't real and he never really touches the car. The guys in the control room opened the door and let dd go right up to the screen and they talked to her and pointed out how knog never really drops the car.
If they aren't real busy just try asking as the "scary" rides if they can help your DS get over his fears.

Also look for the differnt specials on the travel channel. DD saw how they made spiderman so she really wasn't scared to go on it. She even shocked me by loving in and riding again.

Aloha,
We have taken our grandsons to Universal when they were this young and a little younger.
I preparation I bought the Universal Studios video for both the Hollywood and Orlando parks. The Universal Hollywood one especially showed how some on the rides were made and helped the boys feel more secure and even look forward to riding some dark rides -especially Kong. I bought them through the Universal Web site. They also have a free video which gives a quick overview of alot of the park.
We also brought a small piece of blanket and purchased tiny flash lights (they were in the shape of Universal monsters) and we told the boys if it got too spooky for them they could go under the blanket and turn on their light. It gave them a sense of control in the situation and they only used it when we rode one time when they were tired and as a result a little more anxious than usual.
Finally, I will be very honest and say that at that age the boys preferred the shows and the play areas. I at first felt upset that we had spent all this money and they just wanted to play in the play areas, but then I realized that in their opinion the play areas were absolutely the best part and it was there vacation too and we should allow them to do what they enjoyed most. On one trip, we had 5 adults and one child, so we took turns watching him in the play area. The adults toured the park and rode rides and he played to his heart content. And from his point of view it was well worth the money.
Universal has the play area in the Kidz Zone that includes the sponge ball area (have to admit we all liked this area); the Curious George water play area; and the Fievel Land area. IOA has the play area in Dr. Seuss (which we tried) and one in Jurassic Park (which we didn't go to, but which is supposed to be great).
Donna

Great advice! One thing I can add it I made the mistake of taking our 5 1/2 yr old on Spiderman first. She was scared to death! If you're going to take your 5 yr on it wait until you've seen how he handles the other dark rides.

As Molokai said kids that age love the play areas. They're great! Be sure to bring bathing suits and a couple of towels when you go to the Woody Woodpecker kids zone in Universal studios. There's a wet play area call "Curious George" with many, many fun opportunities to get wet! Don't miss the dry ball area in back of CG. It's a 2 tier enclosed area with cannons to shoot soft balls at anyone you can get in your sights! My, then 10, son spent an hour in there alone.

You might want to consider 2 way frs radios. They saved us great deal of time when we split up.

More great tips! Thanks everyone!:) I wouldn't even attempt this trip if it weren't for FOTL...this will make it so much easier for my family if my youngest doesn't want to ride. Sounds like there is still PLENTY for him to do. Can't wait!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter