Need advice...lots of dining out coming up

bangzoom6877

DIS Veteran
My WDW trip is in July. We leave on July 18th to drive down from NYC. we arrive at WDW on July 20th for 10 nights, then the drive back up which includes 3 nights in Washington, DC. I'm a lifetime member of weight watchers for close to 7 years (40+ pounds lost) and I have stayed in my healthy weight range for my height the whole time. I also exercise regularly, both cardio and weight training. I try to eat as healthy as possible on a daily basis, including lots of fresh fruits and veggies every day, whole grains the vast majority of the time, lean proteins, healthy fats like olives, avocado, olive oil, and fat-free dairy or unsweetened almond milk. Right now I'm trying to avoid added sugar as much as possible, and to limit artificial sweeteners a lot as well. I've been using stevia in my coffee instead of Splenda for several months.

My challenge is, there are a lot of celebrations and dining out coming up. My birthday is next weekend but I am able to control things more, since we're going to two places (yes two) I have been to many times and love, and my favorite dishes there are lower calorie and I do well when I eat at those places.

We usually dine out once a week, but at places I've been to and know I can still have healthy choices and do well. However, in a few weeks I will be a little out of my usual comfort zone. Here are my challenges:

1. End-term party for work (at a catering hall, lots of food there...alcohol won't be a problem since I will be driving so no drinks for me)
2. My niece's graduation dinner is the day after my end-term party...a 4-course dinner at an Italian restaurant, which includes pasta, salad, entree and cake.
3. For her birthday gift, my niece wants to do a shopping day and have lunch out, just the two of us. This takes place 3 days after the graduation dinner for her younger sister. She wants to go to IHOP for lunch.
4. The day after taking my niece out is my parents' anniversary. We are taking them to Sammy's Roumanian, a famous steak house in Manhattan. They cook much of their food in chicken fat, and the dishes are very rich...it's Roumanian Jewish cooking.
5. Some time in early summer as well, my sister is going to be taking my mother and me to afternoon tea...she gave that to us as part of our Mother's Day gifts. She knows we love to go to afternoon tea, and it's been a long time since we've gone the three of us.

We are also having a BBQ at our house in July 4th but that isn't worrying me as much because I know what we will be having and a lot of it is healthy and lower calorie...I tend to go for the grilled chicken rather than hot dogs and burgers.

The places that are bothering me most are Sammy's Roumanian and IHOP. I am finding these the most challenging when I look at the menus online. It's also that there is a lot crammed into a few days but I don't want to gain weight, especially since it's so close to our trio and I like to indulge on vacation. Any advice?

Congrats on all the upcoming celebrations!

Most success comes from planning ahead and I see that you have already done that by looking at the menus online.

As we all know, eating out is more about the "social" factor than about the food, so sometimes it becomes more of an obligation. We celebrate things with food. That's just how our society is.

I only have two suggestions for you.
1. Can you eat your normal meals or what you feel comfortable with at home before you go to these restaurants/celebrations and then when you get there only order a side salad or a bowl of fruit just to be sociable?

2. I know it is common for people who are on WW to bring measuring cups to buffets and measure out what they are taking off the buffet. Of course scoop the food into your cup, don't scoop with the cup ( that may be looked upon as being unsanitary). Or if you are getting a plated meal, ask the waiter to bring you a box and box half of it up for lunch the next day before you start to even eat it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I am a Nutrition teacher though, so if you have any other questions about food or diet, l'm glad to help!

Good luck!

Congrats on all the upcoming celebrations! Most success comes from planning ahead and I see that you have already done that by looking at the menus online. As we all know, eating out is more about the "social" factor than about the food, so sometimes it becomes more of an obligation. We celebrate things with food. That's just how our society is. I only have two suggestions for you. 1. Can you eat your normal meals or what you feel comfortable with at home before you go to these restaurants/celebrations and then when you get there only order a side salad or a bowl of fruit just to be sociable? 2. I know it is common for people who are on WW to bring measuring cups to buffets and measure out what they are taking off the buffet. Of course scoop the food into your cup, don't scoop with the cup ( that may be looked upon as being unsanitary). Or if you are getting a plated meal, ask the waiter to bring you a box and box half of it up for lunch the next day before you start to even eat it. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I am a Nutrition teacher though, so if you have any other questions about food or diet, l'm glad to help! Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely be ordering something at each venue. I've narrowed some of it down though. I looked at the menu for Father's Day and I really like the healthier offerings they have so I will stick with one of those. For my dad's birthday, it's a BBQ place but they serve a wonderful grilled catfish with barbecue sauce on the side, and a side of steamed greens. That is right up my alley so problem solved there. I usually leave the end term party before dessert is served anyway, so the dessert won't affect me. There is a fish choice which is prepared in a more healthy way. The cocktail hour is what I'm most concerned about, not because of drinking (I'm not a huge drinker, plus I'm driving so I won't be drinking anyway), but because of the hors d'ouevres (sp?) that they keep bringing. For my niece's graduation dinner, I looked at the menu and I can make it work with weight watchers. The dessert will be harder, it's whipped cream cake. Maybe just a very small piece. As for lunch with my other niece at IHOP, they have a Simple & Fit menu and their website has all the nutrition info. I figured out the weight watchers points and I can easily work in one of those dishes, and they all look delicious.

My parents' anniversary is what is worrying me most, that and also the fact that it's so many days eating out in such a short period of time. Sammy's Roumanian Steakhouse in Manhattan is not a healthy place. They are known for very heavy, rich, fatty food. They do have a broiled half chicken on the menu but I wonder what they cook it with. My sister is baking a chocolate cake with whipped cream but I can have a very small piece, once again.

I just feel like after July 1st, I will need to detox! Fortunately we always make the July 4th BBQ at our house, so I know everything that will be there. And a lot of it is healthy! I usually do very well at those things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!