Need advice on rig for Disney trips

Looks like the GVWR is 3900 front 3900 rear and GVWR6900. I will buy a new truck if I have to but I was hoping this will work. More complicated than I thought.

So to finish the numbers, the truck GVWR is 6,900# and let's assume a curb weight of 5,000# from this source:

https://www.buchananautopark.com/how-much-does-the-ram-1500-weigh/

The delta is 1,900# and backing out the tongue/hitch weight of 895# that leaves about a thousand pounds. Then back out maybe 300# for two adults and we are down to 700# (and this is against the maximum numbers) for stuff. This is cutting it kinda close. If you carried one or two more people and all the stuff, you're at your top number.

Tomorrow it looks like we are getting a new truck. Just have to figure out whether it will be the RAM 2500 or 3500 :) I like the trailer and do not want to get a smaller one.

Probably a good idea because you don't want to always be running at your max numbers.

Bama Ed

PS - sounds like you like the Ram trucks

Last edited:
Tomorrow it looks like we are getting a new truck. Just have to figure out whether it will be the RAM 2500 or 3500 :) I like the trailer and do not want to get a smaller one.
I'd definitely go with the 3500 dually. That way, you know you're good with this trailer and will already have the bigger truck when you eventually upgrade to a larger one.

What are the pros and cons of Deisel engines? I read that the deisel is heavier, and I am guessing much more expensive to repair?

What are the pros and cons of Deisel engines? I read that the deisel is heavier, and I am guessing much more expensive to repair?

You probably want to read (or search) our stickied/pinned Truck and Towing Thread for that type of info. And ask the question over there. Our diesel/gas guys may not be watching this thread but they do watch that one.

Bama Ed

I'll jump in. Diesel engines make twice as much torque as a similar sized gasser. Horsepower numbers will be similar, but torque is what you feel when accelerating and what you want when towing. Diesel engines also typically last much longer. Diesels will get better fuel mileage than a gasser. I have a 14,000 lb 5er and I wouldn't consider a gas engine. I also tow a lot and often long distances. If I had a trailer under 10,000 lbs and didn't tow far or very much, a gas engine may be worth it.

The down side? They are expensive. Today's new trucks, they are about an $8,000 addon. They also require DEF (exhaust fluid). It is cheap, but something else to maintain. Diesel fuel is more expensive by 10-30 cents a gallon depending on where you live. The better fuel mileage will offset some of that, but it is never a breakeven when you factor the added price of the engine. Maintenance is similar to a gasser, except things typically cost a little more. My truck takes 13 quarts of full synthetic oil. It's around $100 if I do it. Fuel filters have to be changed often and my truck has 2. Aside from filter changes(air, fuel, oil) there isn't much else to do and they will last 3-400,000 miles.

Diesel 250/350 trucks are more desired and hold their value really well. I just sold my 10 year old F350 dually diesel. It had 118,000 miles on it and I got $29k for it. It was a work truck for our race team and most of the miles were towing big heavy trailers (16,000-22,000 lbs). It wasn't in pristine shape, but it was clean.

Not sure if you are looking at new or used, but there are some good used trucks out there. I just bough a different one after selling my 2011. I got a 2016 F350 dually diesel that is loaded with almost every option. It had 47,000 miles and I paid $46,000. That's better than $70,000 for a new one.

j

I agree on everything said above...but here are my additional thoughts based on experience (you know, opinions are like...noses; everybody has one).

First, GCWR limit. It's easy to overlook that limit, especially on a 1500 series pickup, but also on 2500/3500. Bama Ed came closest to identifying this limit by adding hitch weight to your pickup's empty weight and load the rest of people, fuel and bags so as not to exceed your pickup's max vehicle weight rating. An entry in the owner's manual and door post placard is the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). This is the maximum allowable weight of the entire vehicle and trailer combination. If you take the tow vehicle to the limit and then the trailer to the limit, it's definitely possible to exceed the weight limit of the entire package (GCWR) traveling down the road for some brands of vehicles. That limit depends a lot on what additional equipment is on the truck, but I believe it's an engineering limit for all things in the package: tires, brakes, transmission, drive train, cooling, suspension, etc. Could be some manufacturer liability protection factor also...I don't know.

It's also easy to combine the individual weight limits of your axles but exceed your vehicle max weight, also identified on the door placard. Glad to see you discovered that already.

Finally: yes to diesel, diesel, diesel.
- Fuel costs are not too much more than gas, and most of the time less...with the availability of fuel discount programs. Yesterday I filled up at TA for $1.854 for 67 gallons. Gas at P/FJ was $1.909 with Good Sam RV card and Gas Buddy app showed $1.969 for regular at local Shell station.
- Fuel filter life is critical in a diesel; don't exceed it.
- DEF is no big deal, another $12 every 500 miles or so.
- I opted for a 3500 Dually anticipating our 2018 trip to Alaska. I expected travel on isolated roads and thought it would be safer if one rear wheel is flat to have another one supporting what weight it can to safely pull over.
- And then there's the performance factor. On that same trip, we blew the doors off our friends' Class A diesel pushers (Tiffins) especially on the hills and mountains. I don't ever see a reason to go back to a gas pickup now that I see the outstanding performance of our dually.

Hope this helps keep you safe out there in the towing world.

I am thinking of selling our 2016 one ton 3500 Chevy diesel truck pretty loaded with approx 61M miles. The blue book shows $50,000.00 resale. Most of those miles were our trips to "The Fort". Also going to sell the Cyclone which is 4 yrs old. I will not pull this huge rig., so need in keeping it. I hope It will sell. The upkeep is expensive, but prefer a diesel truck over a gas one. Get good diesel milage, if not pulling the camper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter