Need DAS for skipping steps?

palmtreelover08

DIS Veteran
Hello-
DD will be in knee brace when we visit DL in a couple of weeks. Everyone here gave me some good info regarding wheel chair and “sitting” options for parade. I have a question regarding stairs. We will be utilizing Max pass for our fast passes. Will she be able to skip the steps at Big Thunder and Indy using the Max Pass or do I need to get a special card at guest services for that? Also- are there any other ride cues with steps. I have only been to DL once and I don’t remember. Thank you in advance.

No you don't need a DAS. Her brace or a wheelchair will serve the same purpose, a 'visible cue' for the CM. I don't 'do' stairs. Just tell the first CM you see at the entrance to the attraction that DD cannot do stairs or steps and they'll tell you what to do. You'll either be told to enter the queue and that at XX point you'll notify a CM who will direct you to the alternative 'path' or you'll be directed to go to the exit and either enter that way or you'll be given a return time.

As far as rides, there are some with 'stairs' and some with a 'few steps'. I ^think^ you can get a list at City Hall and I know there's a list somewhere online, but darned if I can find it!

As far as rides, there are some with 'stairs' and some with a 'few steps'. I ^think^ you can get a list at City Hall and I know there's a list somewhere online, but darned if I can find it!

Toy Story and Radiator Springs are two more with stairs, and they are at the exit so you have to make sure to tell them in advance to be sent to the right starting point.

Thank you both. I’ll search for an online list for stairs. Never thought about stairs in exiting the line- idk why but I just assumed they would all be ramps to speed up the process and to make it less dangerous, but steps do take up less ground space. Thanks again.

Hello-
DD will be in knee brace when we visit DL in a couple of weeks. Everyone here gave me some good info regarding wheel chair and “sitting” options for parade. I have a question regarding stairs. We will be utilizing Max pass for our fast passes. Will she be able to skip the steps at Big Thunder and Indy using the Max Pass or do I need to get a special card at guest services for that? Also- are there any other ride cues with steps. I have only been to DL once and I don’t remember. Thank you in advance.
Be aware, on Big Thunder, should the ride break down and she has to be walked off, there are steps she will have to walk. They usually let you know before you board that if have to be capable of doing stairs to exit.

I believe Space also has stairs at the exit. Jungle Cruise has stairs in line.

If she is in the wheelchair, they will send her the direction to avoid stairs.

...Never thought about stairs in exiting the line...
Many attractions have stairs either entering or exiting, to take guests over (or under) the tracks.

DW has pain walking (total knee operation soon), but can walk short distances and take a few stairs.
She used an ECV is past week in the parks and we used fastpass without DAS.

Big Thunder: ECV parked near the exit, and FP is scanned. Short walk in through the exit, and no steps.

Indiana Jones: FP scanned at entrance and receive special card. Ride ECV through exit and rejoin regular line prior to movie room. Park ECV next to exit platform and take elevators to loading platform. Short walk and no steps.

Space Mountain: DW can walk slowly and take few stairs (about 10 at the exit), so we park the ECV at the exit and scan FP. Walk down dedicated ramp and use the regular loading platform, exit (with stairs) the regular route. This is the maximum walking (and stairs) DW can handle. Guests that cannot handle the stairs or need more time to load, there is a special loading platform which pulls the car off the tracks.

I've been avoiding stairs for the last 5 years or so... I have some neuropathy in my feet, and not much depth perception, so I either can't feel my feet much (on a good day!) or have searing pain in my feet (bad day!), which makes stairs challenging on a normal day, and nearly impossible on a bad day or with lots of people around (mainly, because of others hitting my feet, and inadvertently tripping me). She won't need a DAS.

I just try to make sure every CM I come in contact with knows that I can't do stairs...

Random thoughts off the top of my head:

On Big Thunder, she will be placed in car 10. This is their "needs extra assistance" signal in case of an evacuation.

On Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Toy Story Midway Mania, Grizzly, Racers, and a few others I think I'm forgetting, they have a special loading area for those that take longer to load. USE THEM! It will add a few extra moments waiting for your ride, but you don't want her to hurt herself further trying to deal with the expected 8- or 10-second loading on Space Mountain.

It's a Small World has stairs at the end. I always forget those, and have to hobble my way up them. But, they are brightly lit, and even, so they are easier for me to deal with than some others (Indy's are themed to look like stones built to make steps, so they are a bit uneven, and a bit dark; Jungle Cruise's are pretty narrow/steep).

n Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Toy Story Midway Mania, Grizzly, Racers, and a few others I think I'm forgetting, they have a special loading area for those that take longer to load.
Matterhorn doesn't have a special loading vehicle. They just have an area than can handle a wheelchair.ECV. You still need to load in the timeframe, all bobsleds are on the same course. Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, and Little mermaid, they will have you load in a different area so they can slow the ramp for you to load.

It's a Small World has stairs at the end. I always forget those, and have to hobble my way up them.
If you load with a wheelchair, this won't be an issue, as they will mark the boat to return to the HA side and you exit the same way you loaded. If you aren't using a wheelchair, go to the HA entrance and let them know she can't do stairs. They will load you so you return to the south loading area and you can exit out the ramp side.

Wow- thank you all for your expertise. I’m not worried if we have to wait for a special car or loading area so she can get in and out safer. Maybe we will try and hit the rides with stairs at the exits so maybe she can handle them without too much pain and before all the afternoon swelling sets in. Then in the afternoon we could use the chair if necessary and she could rest during the parade(s) and shows. Thank you so very much again for all the info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter