Need fishing advice

tcufrog

DIS Veteran
It turns out that our neighborhood has a catch and release fishing pond and My DH dug out his fishing gear but doesn't have any bait. The places where we could easily get bait aren't places where we feel comfortable going right now. Does anyone have suggestions for bait that we might have at home?

I'm not looking for a debate regarding the ethics of catch and release fishing. Thanks.

It turns out that our neighborhood has a catch and release fishing pond and My DH dug out his fishing gear but doesn't have any bait. The places where we could easily get bait aren't places where we feel comfortable going right now. Does anyone have suggestions for bait that we might have at home?

I'm not looking for a debate regarding the ethics of catch and release fishing. Thanks.
Marshmallows. I remember people buying salted marshmallows. For some reason I remember seeing ones that were dyed bright orange as a visual attractant.

I used to fish with salmon eggs. If you have a yard you might dig to see if there are any earthworms. I used to play with my cousin in my aunt's yard. They had these square stepping stones in the dirt, and we found lots of earthworms under them where they would stay moist. We didn't have to dig either. We ended up tossing those in their fish pond to see if the goldfish could manage to eat them. They weren't koi, but the larger ones could manage to eat entire earthworms. But when I used to fish we typically went to the bait shop and got live earthworms. We could cut them into little pieces and the segments would still be moving, and the motion (plus the guts oozing out) was supposed to attract the fish at least for a while. Yeah it's a little bit gruesome, but a lot of people fish with live bait.

You might be able to order spinner lures online. Those tend to jiggle around to attract fish.

I am so glad he isn't my neighbor , I would have to spend the rest of my life hiding from this guy, so he wont bother me about this

Digging up worms from around the base of trees, crickets, or whatever the fish have become accustomed to eating. I’ve even cut other fish up into smaller pieces as bait to catch more fish.
In my backyard pond I have Bass, Catfish, Tilapia, and Brim and they will bite anything that hits the water, I feed them daily though so when something splashes the top, they hit it.
What are you fishing for? Maybe ask someone that’s been fishing that pond because with the wrong bait, you’ll sit their all day.

I used to use boiled eggs and hot dog back when I was a poor kid. Caught a lot that way even though it sounds weird.

Funny story. We weren't a family who fished, but we had a pond on the edge of our property where others used to come and fish occasionally. One day my brother, who was probably 7 or 8, found a fishhook on the ground by the pond. He found some string and a stick and made himself a "fishing pole." He didn't know you were supposed to use bait. He kept trying and trying day after day but didn't catch a fish, and my parents wouldn't tell him why. Then one day he actually caught one! Some very dumb fish swam right up to the empty hook and hooked himself! My brother was absolutely horrified and my other brother and I had to help him get the fish off the hook and put it back in the pond. The fish bled and we all cried. We were kinda soft, I guess.

Edited to add: sorry I didn't have an answer to your question but if all else fails you could just dangle the empty hook and hope for the best? It might be relaxing, anyway.

When I was a kid one of the things I remember was the trout fishing at a theme park called Frontier Village. They charged by the size of the fish, although apparently getting one below and above certain sizes would be free. The fishing poles were simple sticks with strings attached, and the bait provided were just sweet corn kernels.

Do you have a yard? Turn over a shovelful of dirt and pick out the nightcrawlers.

Do you have a yard? Turn over a shovelful of dirt and pick out the nightcrawlers.

I remember as a kid, we only had to water the lawn really well. The worms would come out of the ground, so they didn't drown underground. All we had to do was pick them right up. No digging.

I remember as a kid, we only had to water the lawn really well. The worms would come out of the ground, so they didn't drown underground. All we had to do was pick them right up. No digging.
Yes, that's why you see night crawlers after it rains for a long time. Using a shovel prevents wasting water and gets immediate results.

Saw this youtube dude who caught unbelievable amount of fish using bacon. He was in a kayak and it looked like it was saltwater. But to me it makes sense, its bacon.. I mean who doesn't like bacon..

Worms are coming up here now with the warmer weather. I also remember using a thick bisquick batter when we were little kids going out on our bikes to local ponds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter