Need HELP deciding

mazlan

Earning My Ears
I need help deciding between buying at OKW or SSR. I will be buying resale. I need some opinions of both resorts. There are 4 of us. My plan is to buy 100 points or a bit more and bank and borrow so we can do a 1 or 2 bedroom every 3 years at disney. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I would personally buy SSR. It has a longer contract and shorter dues. I enjoy the walk to Disney Springs and the room renovations look really nice.

I would NOT recommend buying DVC for an every-three-years plan. Point charts can be reallocated and you will likely have some points going to waste anyway. Once you bank or borrow pts, they will be stuck in the new UY - which means that your risk of losing points if you need to cancel is much higher when you are constantly using banked and borrowed pts.

With that said, SSR is probably a better deal - all SSR contracts end in 2054. Annual dues are lower per point as stated.

Most OKW contracts end in 2042. Some end in 2057. (There are some potential risks and questions about how 2042 will play out as a result of Disney's messed up attempt at an extension - whether non extenders get reduced annual dues to avoid paying for expenses that they won't be around for and whether the post-2042 OKW resort is smaller as some buildings may be shut down or repurposed at that point would be a few of the questions.)

OKW 1BRs (and 2BRs) are larger than at SSR - OKW 1BRs are about 1000 sq ft - and OKW studios (and thus, the off bedroom in a 2BR villa) have 2 real queen beds instead of a queen and a pullout sofabed.

There are many many SSR owners who have never stayed at SSR. That should tell you A LOT about the resort. OTOH, there are many OKW owners, who have never booked anywhere other than their home resort.

I need help deciding between buying at OKW or SSR. I will be buying resale. I need some opinions of both resorts. There are 4 of us. My plan is to buy 100 points or a bit more and bank and borrow so we can do a 1 or 2 bedroom every 3 years at disney. ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
An every 3 year plan is generally not a good idea. And given the current situation with closed resorts and unusable banked points, this just shows how planning to use banked points routinely could come back to bite you in the butt.

Between SSR and OKW, I’d have a hard time passing up OKW. Larger villas. More forgiving points chart. However, it has an earlier expiration date unless you can find an extended contract. 2042 is coming sooner than you think and with an every 3 year plan, you’re looking at a total of 7 trips with your points, maybe.

Lastly, consider how you would feel if you could only stay at either of those resorts. Forget RIV or any future resorts. Points from resale contracts purchased after Jan. 2019 cannot be used for those resorts. Both SSR and OKW are nice resorts. And OKW owners in particular are extremely loyal to their home resort. But a lot of new buyers think that they can buy the cheaper points and easily use them at the near to park resorts. It’s not as easy as the sales reps make it sound.

SSR has more years and lower MF's. And for 1 and 2BR's you'll likely be able to stay at OKW a lot of the time anyway if you wanted to.

There are many many SSR owners who have never stayed at SSR. That should tell you A LOT about the resort.

This to me is not a strong argument. Many buy SSR and do not stay there simply because it is one of the better DVC deals financially. It has nothing to do with the resort itself.

Each resort will have its pros and cons, but even you have to admit that SSR now has a strong case going for it with the recent refurbishments and Disney Springs.

Last edited:

This to me is not a strong argument. Many buy SSR and do not stay there because simply because it is one of the better DVC deals financially. It has nothing to do with the resort itself.

Each resort will have its pros and cons, but even you have to admit that SSR now has a strong case going for it with the recent refurbishments and Disney Springs.

This is me. I bought my 500 SSR to use at 7 months at the other resorts because they were cheap..,$73/$75 a point!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter