Need more points for rescheduled trip

Javin917

Mouseketeer
Hello! I'm sorry in advance as I know similar questions have probably been asked quite a bit! We currently have a trip planned for November that we are looking to reschedule for May 2021. We bought a small direct contract (CCV) to book knowing we'd supplement it with a resale contract down the road, so we only bought basically the exact number of points we needed for this trip (using all 3 use years). We won't have time to get a resale bought in time obviously so I'm looking into our other options. Assuming they let us modify and keep the over 50% borrowed points, we need 18 more points for the same number of nights. I thought about purchasing the one time points, but I'm afraid we won't get that last night having to book at 7 months? Would this be a good scenario for transferring points? I took a quick look at that board but it seems like the available point totals are all much higher.

Thank you so much!

It can be harder to find smaller point transfers because people are limited to 1 per year so they often don't want to use that up if they have a bunch of points to get rid of. If you can find someone who just happens to have some left over that may still work. Or you could get a larger transfer and then bank the remaining points (or borrow less) to use for a later vacation.

Last edited:
Thank you! I knew there had to be some key info I didn't know!

I wish we had a crystal ball to know what November is going to be like! I'm afraid if we don't reschedule now at the 11 month mark and instead wait to see what happens closer to, we'll be out of luck getting a room anywhere in the spring if we do have to cancel and will lose our points (June UY).

If you have to reschedule to May, then you may have to make this next trip one night shorter if you can’t get it at 7 months using OTU points

They will allow you to keep the borrowed points for a change since they have already been borrowed....at least that is what has been reported

You can get up to 24 one time use points through MS for $19 each. You can’t use them for a waitlist but, you can gamble on booking a random night then set the WL up to cancel that random night then replace it with the one you really want. It’s a gamble but, could work if it’s your last option. You can only get OTU points at 7 mos.

Thank you all so much! I did chat with member services today to confirm that we can modify the reservation with the already borrowed points. She said that all points borrowed before the policy have been grandfathered in and we can make the change online. I think we are going to modify to one night shorter and take our chances to add on a night with OTU points.

I have a Feb 2021 reservation that is using 100% borrowed points from 1 of my contracts. I was told by members service that if I modify this previously booked reservation, I will be subject to the 50% max rule. FYI..

Well that's a bummer! I had emailed member services before chat opened and just got a response. It's definitely more vague than the person on chat was, but it sounds like it's OK as long as we don't try and borrow more points? We are considering buying more direct points to avoid this mess, but coming up quickly on our booking date (and it'll be a bummer to miss out on 2019 points if they don't open until June!).

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club®.
We appreciate your reaching out to us about your Membership and thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time. In light of the situation and its impact on our operations and to you as the Member we have made some temporary updates with regards to cancelled stays during the closure time.

If you are looking to modify a reservation that used Borrowed Points and it was booked before 3:30 p.m. ET on April 24, 2020, but did not borrow up to 50 percent of your Annual Allotment per contract, you may change the dates using the online option to create a date change. Please keep in mind that should you cancel and re-book your room reservation, the new reservation will follow the new rules for borrowing Vacation Points.

Also, you may borrow additional points as long as they do not exceed the 50 percent maximum. If that original reservation borrowed more than 50 percent of your Annual Allotment per contract, you will not be able to borrow any additional points for modifications to the reservation.

We will continue to monitor our inventory and re-evaluate, with the goal of returning to our standard policy as soon as it is appropriate to do so.

Please note: This change is permitted by the Home Resort Rules and Regulations, located on DisneyVacationClub.com >> Search: home resort rules. See Section II. USING HOME RESORT VACATION POINTS > 5. Banking and Borrowing Home Resort Vacation Points > c. Banking and Borrowing Limitations.

Well that's a bummer! I had emailed member services before chat opened and just got a response. It's definitely more vague than the person on chat was, but it sounds like it's OK as long as we don't try and borrow more points? We are considering buying more direct points to avoid this mess, but coming up quickly on our booking date (and it'll be a bummer to miss out on 2019 points if they don't open until June!).

Thank you for contacting Disney Vacation Club®.
We appreciate your reaching out to us about your Membership and thank you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time. In light of the situation and its impact on our operations and to you as the Member we have made some temporary updates with regards to cancelled stays during the closure time.

If you are looking to modify a reservation that used Borrowed Points and it was booked before 3:30 p.m. ET on April 24, 2020, but did not borrow up to 50 percent of your Annual Allotment per contract, you may change the dates using the online option to create a date change. Please keep in mind that should you cancel and re-book your room reservation, the new reservation will follow the new rules for borrowing Vacation Points.

Also, you may borrow additional points as long as they do not exceed the 50 percent maximum. If that original reservation borrowed more than 50 percent of your Annual Allotment per contract, you will not be able to borrow any additional points for modifications to the reservation.

We will continue to monitor our inventory and re-evaluate, with the goal of returning to our standard policy as soon as it is appropriate to do so.

Please note: This change is permitted by the Home Resort Rules and Regulations, located on DisneyVacationClub.com >> Search: home resort rules. See Section II. USING HOME RESORT VACATION POINTS > 5. Banking and Borrowing Home Resort Vacation Points > c. Banking and Borrowing Limitations.

My understanding when talking to MS that borrowed points above the 50% rule done before hand will not be put back if a reservation is changed,

I had them do this for me as I adjusted my end of June reservation to July this week. They indicated since the points were already borrowed, they’d stay and expire at the end of the UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter