need recommendations for tours in LA

kaygela

<font color=coral>was having a blond moment at the
We will be in LA 12/26-12/28 before going to DL. I was wondering if anyone would recommend tours for us to take. We would like to see all the typical things like Grauman's, Walk of Fame, Tar Pits, movie star homes, etc. We will have a rental car and will be staying at the Beverly Hills Residence Inn. Does it pay to take a tour or are we better off on our own?

I don't have any info on the tours you mention, but if you are looking for a studio tour, I highly recommend the warner brothers tour. very interesting, one of the better studio tours I've been on.

kaygela said:
. . . We would like to see all the typical things like Grauman's, Walk of Fame, Tar Pits, movie star homes, etc. We will have a rental car . . . Does it pay to take a tour or are we better off on our own?
Since you will have a car, you do not need to take a tour.

The La Brea Tar Pits are not very far from your hotel (Wilshire Blvd., just east of Fairfax Ave.). After visiting the Tar Pits, if interested, you can also visit the L.A. County Museum of Art (next door) or the Petersen Automotive Museum (corner of Wilshire and Fairfax).

Then drive north on Highland to the Hollywood and Highland Center (northwest corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.) and park in its underground lot. Come up the escalator and once you walk out to the sidewalk you will be on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Walk 100 feet to the west, and you'll be at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Across the street is (Disney's) El Capitan Theatre and Disney's Soda Fountain. There you will find Winnie the Pooh's star, and, I believe, other Disney characters or notables.

I haven't been on a movie stars home tour, but I've seen agents selling tours in front of Grauman's and also across the street.

TIP: In 1998, we had houseguests from England who were just dying to go on a stars home tour. My DW said she had no interest in the tour, but agreed to take them to Grauman's where they could catch a tour (DW would go shopping then meet them later). Our guests "surprised" DW by buying her a tour ticket. They all went on the tour, and after ten minutes, they all agreed it was the biggest waste of time and money.

Woody

woody73 said:
Since you will have a car, you do not need to take a tour.

The La Brea Tar Pits are not very far from your hotel (Wilshire Blvd., just east of Fairfax Ave.). After visiting the Tar Pits, if interested, you can also visit the L.A. County Museum of Art (next door) or the Petersen Automotive Museum (corner of Wilshire and Fairfax).

Then drive north on Highland to the Hollywood and Highland Center (northwest corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave.) and park in its underground lot. Come up the escalator and once you walk out to the sidewalk you will be on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Walk 100 feet to the west, and you'll be at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre. Across the street is (Disney's) El Capitan Theatre and Disney's Soda Fountain. There you will find Winnie the Pooh's star, and, I believe, other Disney characters or notables.

I haven't been on a movie stars home tour, but I've seen agents selling tours in front of Grauman's and also across the street.

TIP: In 1998, we had houseguests from England who were just dying to go on a stars home tour. My DW said she had no interest in the tour, but agreed to take them to Grauman's where they could catch a tour (DW would go shopping then meet them later). Our guests "surprised" DW by buying her a tour ticket. They all went on the tour, and after ten minutes, they all agreed it was the biggest waste of time and money.

Woody

That's what I am afraid of. I imagine that all you would be able to see are gates and trees. It sounds like you have mapped out a great "tour" for us to do ourselves. Thank you.

We did one of the Movie Stars Home tours in Aug, and I can definitely say it was a big waste of time and money. You would be better off buying a book that has the address and then driving through the neighborhoods on you own. We took our rental car out after the paid and definitely preferred doing it on our own. We were able to actually slow down and get clears shots of the houses, etc.

We also did the Warner Brothers Studio tour and I would definitely recommed it if you're looking for a studio tour. Very well informed tour guides. The tours goes in groups of 10 or 12 so it's much more personable

Yeah, I have to say, doing the actor's homes tour leaves alot to be desired. I'd pick places and things you'd like to do after playing with tour books and then come here (or PM me) for game plans/timing, etc.
If you do go down to Redondo Beach for dinner I have to tell you about a "secret" not to many people other than locals know about. After leaving Cheesecake Factory, go up to PCH/Sepulveda and go South (from there, should be a right). Take it down to Prospect, take a left onto Prospect. Turn right on the first road you can turn right onto. Through that entire community, called the "tree area" or Sleepy Hollow area, all the neighbors decorate their trees in white twinkle lights and make a huge deal of decorating yards, roofs, windows, etc. It's just beautiful. Roll down your windows and you're likely to also hear x-mas carrolls. Even the non-Christian homes at least put up the white twinkle lights and I've seen many beautiful jewish displays (I loved the giant menorah made out of blue and gold garland that was the size of the family's garage) and kwanza displays. I've never taken anyone down that area that haven't been "ooh and ahhh" with their noses stuck to the windows!

Zoemakes5 said:
Yeah, I have to say, doing the actor's homes tour leaves alot to be desired. I'd pick places and things you'd like to do after playing with tour books and then come here (or PM me) for game plans/timing, etc.
If you do go down to Redondo Beach for dinner I have to tell you about a "secret" not to many people other than locals know about. After leaving Cheesecake Factory, go up to PCH/Sepulveda and go South (from there, should be a right). Take it down to Prospect, take a left onto Prospect. Turn right on the first road you can turn right onto. Through that entire community, called the "tree area" or Sleepy Hollow area, all the neighbors decorate their trees in white twinkle lights and make a huge deal of decorating yards, roofs, windows, etc. It's just beautiful. Roll down your windows and you're likely to also hear x-mas carrolls. Even the non-Christian homes at least put up the white twinkle lights and I've seen many beautiful jewish displays (I loved the giant menorah made out of blue and gold garland that was the size of the family's garage) and kwanza displays. I've never taken anyone down that area that haven't been "ooh and ahhh" with their noses stuck to the windows!

Wow, we will definately have to do that. The kids would love it. Who am I kidding, I would love it!!! :rotfl2:

I think it's fun to tour around on your own.....it's easy to browse around Beverly Hills and Bel Air, Mandeville Canyon and Pacific Palisades, then down into Malibu. Traffic shouldn't be too bad with schools out over the holidays.

dkbooks has a nifty little guidebook called "Top Ten Los Angeles" and I highly recommend it, it'll give you lots of ideas.

Too bad you won't be there on a weekend.....garage sales and "open houses" in Beverly Hills can be fun fun fun and interesting!

tracys2cents said:
I think it's fun to tour around on your own.....it's easy to browse around Beverly Hills and Bel Air, Mandeville Canyon and Pacific Palisades, then down into Malibu. Traffic shouldn't be too bad with schools out over the holidays.

dkbooks has a nifty little guidebook called "Top Ten Los Angeles" and I highly recommend it, it'll give you lots of ideas.

Too bad you won't be there on a weekend.....garage sales and "open houses" in Beverly Hills can be fun fun fun and interesting!

Oh gee, I am really a garage sale person. I love the treasure hunt. That could have been amazing in Beverly Hills!

Has anyone taken the Legendary Hollywood tour? It's listed as a ten hour tour that allows for shopping, lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe and then either Venice or Santa Monica.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter