Nervous about Anthem

Eeyore1220

Mouseketeer
We are set to sail on Anthem on March 29 with DH, DS 10 and DD 5. I’ve been so incredibly excited about this trip for months. Now my extended family is pressuring us to cancel because of Coronavirus. I’m feeling confused and sad and not sure what to do. Anyone making similar decisions? 😭

We cruise 2 weeks before you on Anthem. Not cancelling anything (it's been booked for a really long time), but I admit I'm getting a bit nervous. But we aren't going to hibernate until it goes away.

We are on the same March 29 Anthem cruise! We are equally confused, but for now, we are just going to keep an eye on the situation. Hopefully, the correct decision will be more evident in a couple weeks.

We are on the same March 29 Anthem cruise! We are equally confused, but for now, we are just going to keep an eye on the situation. Hopefully, the correct decision will be more evident in a couple weeks.
Same here! Though the news of a cruise ship in the US (albeit California) having an outbreak and getting quarantined made me even more nervous.

We are also on this cruise and nervous...cancellation insurance won’t kick in yet so we are riding it out. Fingers crossed!

We are set to sail on Anthem on March 29 with DH, DS 10 and DD 5. I’ve been so incredibly excited about this trip for months. Now my extended family is pressuring us to cancel because of Coronavirus. I’m feeling confused and sad and not sure what to do. Anyone making similar decisions? 😭
Cruising this March and not worried at all. Have two more planned this year after this March one. We always wash our hands a lot on cruises especially with our kids (6,4) since anywhere you go with a lot of people you can get sick. The place we avoided for a while until the kids were a bit older were the water parks at Disney. They’d always get sick after we’d go there. Also remember it’s easier for a family member to tell you not to go when it’s something they haven’t spent the money on or had to look forward to for many months.

Well, we had our decision made for us. My husband works in a hospital and they basically instituted a travel ban for their employees. Luckily RC gave us a voucher for our cruise cost. We rebooked on Oasis in August - now praying there won’t be a hurricane! 😂 It’s far from ideal and we ended up paying more, but what can you do. Wishing safe travels to all of you and enjoy “our” cruise, Alderbrook and Xalthon!

For the first time, DH is questioning if we should cancel. He's not concerned of the virus but of getting quarantined and not able to dock for weeks (more for our kids). We've had this cruise booked for almost 2 years so will be so upset. Don't know what to do. And if we do go, we will probably cancel our excursion in Port Canaveral.
PS - You now have 48 hours to cancel for a refund in FCC...so we have 6 days to decide

Eeyore, so sorry that you ended up having to cancel.

For the first time, DH is questioning if we should cancel. He's not concerned of the virus but of getting quarantined and not able to dock for weeks (more for our kids). We've had this cruise booked for almost 2 years so will be so upset. Don't know what to do. And if we do go, we will probably cancel our excursion in Port Canaveral.
PS - You now have 48 hours to cancel for a refund in FCC...so we have 6 days to decide

Eeyore, so sorry that you ended up having to cancel.
Thanks! Yeah our big fear was quarantine as well. Apparently Anthem had to change its schedule and cancel some ports last week? Good luck deciding!

Thanks! Yeah our big fear was quarantine as well. Apparently Anthem had to change its schedule and cancel some ports last week? Good luck deciding!
Yeah totally get that. And we're Canadian so DH is worried we'll have issues getting home.
Not sure if it was Anthem but I've heard other ships have changed schedules. For us, our one main stop is now CoCo Cay which is Royal owned so guess that won't get affected since it's Royal owned. DH is leaning to cancelling. I am leaning to not (but if anything happens, it will be all on my shoulders).
Oasis looks amazing too. You'll have a wonderful cruise in August.

My husband and I were just talking about this. There are some good deals, but there is no way we could handle being quarantined on a ship with our kids (6 & 2) for 2 or more weeks. Ands as there is more and more community spread, the chances of someone boarding a ship with it go up.

My husband and I were just talking about this. There are some good deals, but there is no way we could handle being quarantined on a ship with our kids (6 & 2) for 2 or more weeks. Ands as there is more and more community spread, the chances of someone boarding a ship with it go up.
Pretty sure quarantined in a ship cabin with my kids is worst nightmare scenario! 😂

I'm sorry you had to cancel your cruise.
I have a cruise planned in April. I'm only going with my 9 year old and my father as a special 10th birthday trip. I'm in a balcony cabin, so not too worried about quarantine (my husband will be home so he can work and make us money if I can't :smooth:). I'm watching closely a couple times a day in case a suite drops even more, because a little extra space if we are stuck in a room would be nice.
If I was travelling with all of my kids I may be more concerned (some have special needs), but this one is pretty chill and will sit and read books all day if he has to.

Not really because our cruise is only in December.

But I would not cancel AND I would call to see if they can upgrade us because so many people are cancelling these days, many cabins have become available.

EDIT: I just saw your husband’s work basically forced you to cancel. I’m sorry.

The State Dept. just issued a travel advisory on Sunday (3/8) stating that no one should go on a cruise at this time essentially. I’m really surprised that they issued that travel warning. Now I’m having some second thoughts.

Same situation here. We are set to cruise on Freedom from San Juan on 4/12. Right now, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. Honestly, I think Royal Caribbean is doing more than literally anybody else to protect travelers. So part of me thinks a RC ship is the safest place to be right now. But the thought of a quarantine does make me shudder. I have booked a "Plan B" -- resort and excursions in San Juan for the week. Probably won't make a decision until about a week out. I think the State Department warning was a bit rash. Why single out cruise ships but not warn against amusement parks, shopping malls, mass transit, food buffets, etc.? Seems irresponsible to me.

Same situation here. We are set to cruise on Freedom from San Juan on 4/12. Right now, I'm taking a "wait and see" approach. Honestly, I think Royal Caribbean is doing more than literally anybody else to protect travelers. So part of me thinks a RC ship is the safest place to be right now. But the thought of a quarantine does make me shudder. I have booked a "Plan B" -- resort and excursions in San Juan for the week. Probably won't make a decision until about a week out. I think the State Department warning was a bit rash. Why single out cruise ships but not warn against amusement parks, shopping malls, mass transit, food buffets, etc.? Seems irresponsible to me.
I agree the rashness of the decision seems odd without mentioning any other similarly at risk area. And really only one cruise line has had issues that all stem from one cruise that was in Japan.

We have a cruise out this weekend and are now struggling whether to cancel or go.
We feel like we should cancel based on the media. Plus we are Canadian so not sure if that will be additional issues getting home if anything happens on the ship.

The ironic thing is...we might keep our plane ticket and still visit NYC for a few days (also struggling) But I think at his point, we would be safer on the ship vs visiting tourist things in a big city. The ships are being super careful with sanitizing, etc.

Well, we cancelled (or at least tried to cancel) today. Left e-mails with our TA; hopefully, it will be timely processed.

We have a cruise out this weekend and are now struggling whether to cancel or go.
We feel like we should cancel based on the media. Plus we are Canadian so not sure if that will be additional issues getting home if anything happens on the ship.

The ironic thing is...we might keep our plane ticket and still visit NYC for a few days (also struggling) But I think at his point, we would be safer on the ship vs visiting tourist things in a big city. The ships are being super careful with sanitizing, etc.
We are Canadian too and cancelling. We have 2 rooms booked so would have lots of room but still not going to chance it. We have another cruise booked May 2021 so will apply the credit to that one. Still sad tho. We are not visiting NYC as they have an outbreak right now and just not worth it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter