Nervous about trip

Thank you- that is a great analogy. The surgery I had removed more than 2 inches of nerve fiber bundles in two different places- so the pain and healing has been slow (next week will be week one). I did use an ECV at Sea World about 5 years ago when I broke my foot, which is what began my journey to this current surgery, but I wasn't very good at it, so I think that may be why he is worried. Maybe this will convince him.

One of the things I often do at WDW when using an ECV is use the ECV for covering longer distances [eg between lands, or between rides] and then park it at an attraction and walk the line. This assumes I am having a good day of course, as some of the attraction lines can be long ! But if I am ok to navigate it, walking a line means I don't have to deal with taking the ECV through the line.

That said -- some lines are pretty easy to handle with the ECV while others are somewhat trickier (eg more turns, narrower space). I have found the key is patience and going SLOW [turtle speed is your friend]. And ignore the people behind you :-)

SW

Thank you- that is a great analogy. The surgery I had removed more than 2 inches of nerve fiber bundles in two different places- so the pain and healing has been slow (next week will be week one). I did use an ECV at Sea World about 5 years ago when I broke my foot, which is what began my journey to this current surgery, but I wasn't very good at it, so I think that may be why he is worried. Maybe this will convince him.

As my friends above said, "turtle" speed is your friend - as is the park and walk strategy. And I can't agree enough that practice at the Resort hotel (especially once everyone has left for the Parks for the day, and there are fewer people) makes a huge difference. You just need to feel like *you* control the ECV, not the other way around.

Just remember - *you* are the boss - and it's really no different than driving a car! In fact, some people find it easier to use that analogy while driving an ECV; treat it just like you are driving a tiny, electric car.

Don't get flustered if you make a little mistake at first - no one is grading you, and there is no prize for "perfect" driving! Just stop for a moment, take a deep breath, and try again 🙂

As my friends above said, "turtle" speed is your friend - as is the park and walk strategy. And I can't agree enough that practice at the Resort hotel (especially once everyone has left for the Parks for the day, and there are fewer people) makes a huge difference. You just need to feel like *you* control the ECV, not the other way around.

Just remember - *you* are the boss - and it's really no different than driving a car! In fact, some people find it easier to use that analogy while driving an ECV; treat it just like you are driving a tiny, electric car.

Don't get flustered if you make a little mistake at first - no one is grading you, and there is no prize for "perfect" driving! Just stop for a moment, take a deep breath, and try again 🙂

THANK YOU GUYS! This was such a great idea- I am at Jambo house now (which is virtually deserted anyway) and took a somewhat lovely spin around the lobby, pool, etc. and then braved the elevator (that was interesting) to the room. Not sure that I am very good at this still, but I'm not doing a park until Monday so maybe I will at least feel better by then!

Practice backing up slowly in a straight line, maybe in the hallway in your room (assumes studio). Once you're comfortable, at the elevator position yourself to roll in backwards. If you're alone, back up slowly to the call button and push, then pull straight forward. But always stay close enough to the doors that others know you're waiting.

glad to hear that you are learning this new tool to help you save your feet for when you really want those steps to count! :D have a great time!

Practice backing up slowly in a straight line, maybe in the hallway in your room (assumes studio). Once you're comfortable, at the elevator position yourself to roll in backwards. If you're alone, back up slowly to the call button and push, then pull straight forward. But always stay close enough to the doors that others know you're waiting.

We have a 1bdrm so I’m practicing in the hallway with the washing machine. I kind of guessed I needed to back in to the elevator- but it’s scary so I will work on it!

I agree that holding an umbrella and operating an ECV at the same time are pretty impossible.

Every time we go to a Disney park, I wear a Tilley Endurables hat that has a 4" brim. This hat is totally fabulous. It's expensive ($80), but it's amazing, built like a tank, floats in water, is water proof, comes with a life time warranty, has a little pocket in the top of the hat that you can store an ID and credit card in it (in a small flat ID-sized ziplock bag), etc.

At home, I wear this hat every day. Every time I go outside to do gardening, to go on a walk, etc., I wear it. Keeps my head warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot.

You could wear one of those hats and some SPF clothing, too.

Okay so I couple of updates- first I traded in my electric for a push chair- scooter bug was awesome but I just felt like i couldn’t figure out the speed and bus etc. I’m impressed by those of you who can do it- but I’m just not comfortable. Also I had no problem with the sun yesterday at Animal Kingdom, but today at Hollywood studios was awful so about 1pm I ended up getting at DAS at guest relations. I don’t think they’d give me one normally but they said with the lines right now all outside they didn’t blink. I used it for a few rides and waited for others (MMRR was a must, but TSM was all covered so that was no problem). I’m thankful a DAS exists and that I could trade out the chair. Thanks for all of your advice or I would be miserable right now!!!

Okay so here is my two cents for anyone with sun concerns. I was fine with the DAS and using all of my normal strategies at Animal Kingdom and Epcot. But I would NOT go to Hollywood Studios or Magic Kingdom right now if this is a problem for you. At HS, I would get a return time but then there was nowhere to wait! You can't get in the QS restaurants without ordering, there are lines for the stores and they were so crowded there was nowhere to just "hang" for 40-60 minutes, and everywhere there were any coverings they were so clogged with other guests, I couldn't do it. It makes me sad, but we will not be returning to Disney until all pandemic issues are over (I'm thinking 2022). Which would mean we would not go during 2021, making it the first year since 1993 we haven't made a trip. Just thinking about that it makes me sad!

It makes me sad, but we will not be returning to Disney until all pandemic issues are over (I'm thinking 2022). Which would mean we would not go during 2021, making it the first year since 1993 we haven't made a trip. Just thinking about that it makes me sad!

I haven't been for over 3 years, and that makes me sad, but then I think about all the people who want to go and can't afford it, even once, and I'm over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!