Nervous traveling with 2 teen boys to Disney for the first time.

aimaleigh1

Earning My Ears
I am flying with my 2 teen boys for the first time. They have never flown or been to Disney.

similar to what summer said, get them involved.
have them contribute to the planning.

but what exactly is causing nerves?
flying?

By teen boys loved Disney until my daughter came along and I started including princess meals and meet and greets in our plans. They they started not liking it and now, early 20's wont go with us anymore :(

The flying part is easy peasy now a days. They can bring their earbuds and listen to their music. Depending on the airline, most likely can watch a movie too. Granted our flights are only 3 hours. Not sure where you are flying from.

I remember when I brought my teens back for a trip feeling same way. But we had a blast, I 100% agree with involving them in planning. I was surprised stuff I assumed they wouldn’t like turned out to be the biggest hits. I would also say it’s your trip too, I prepped them with a few things you are going to do for mom. And it’s funny because they ended up loving them. We went to the enchanted belle attraction. None of us knew what to expect and my oldest ended up being chosen for the Dad, it was so fun, and the photo pass photographer took the best pics.

I remember when I brought my teens back for a trip feeling same way. But we had a blast, I 100% agree with involving them in planning. I was surprised stuff I assumed they wouldn’t like turned out to be the biggest hits. I would also say it’s your trip too, I prepped them with a few things you are going to do for mom. And it’s funny because they ended up loving them. We went to the enchanted belle attraction. None of us knew what to expect and my oldest ended up being chosen for the Dad, it was so fun, and the photo pass photographer took the best pics.

Have plenty of snacks or money to buy food. One easy way to keep teens happy is snacks.

Disney is a great place to allow some beginning independence. Let them have time on their own either in the park while you shop or watch a show in the part or visiting the game room or food court at your hotel. If you or they are up to it, you might even let them use Disney transportation to travel by themselves

If they like Star Wars they will love Galaxy's Edge. They can do the bigger rides in HS and the other parks. Maybe check out Disney Springs? If they are old enough, maybe let them go off for a big and meet back in an hour or so?

If they haven't flown before, give them a little coaching on what to expect at the airport - TSA screening and all of that. DS has been traveling since he was an infant and when we brought his buddy along the first of several times, it was maybe his second flight ever but first flight since he was pretty little. I hadn't occurred to me to let him know what to expect, and it would have made it a little smoother at the checkpoint if one of us would have clued him in to putting stuff in the bins, etc. Even what and how to pack a carryon, stuff we take for granted if we travel a lot.

Gift cards have always been a great way for us to let them be independent with buying snacks and counter service meals. If you do GCs, register them ahead of time so you can quickly transfer funds around if they get low or someone loses one, etc.

Depending on age, separating and giving independence can be really fun. We started the first year with them maybe riding a different ride than us, or getting food somewhere while we did something else, little bits at a time. As the years progressed we eventually started hopping to different parks. Of course, DS knows WDW like the back of his hand, but if they're outgoing enough they can ask directions very easily.

We've given each teen son a Disney Gift Card to purchase his own souvenirs, snacks, and quick service lunch if we plan to separate. Our rules are "stay together, work it out, stay in touch". We usually pick a meeting time and place to go on a few rides together. My boys, however, are extremely used to WDW and the transportation. They're pretty fearless, and are extremely polite to strangers. All in all, they enjoy the combination of independence and family time. Enjoy!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!