Never watched Star Wars - where to begin before visiting?

This is going to sound dumb, but I need help! We are hoping to explore the new Star Wars attractions when we go in November but we have never watched any of the movies. Just looking at my Disney+ last night had me completely overwhelmed! I am not interested in watching all of the movies but wouldn't mind knowing a little bit of the overview.

In order to understand the RotR ride (assuming we actually get to ride it!) which movie could we watch? I also noticed there were lots of Lego movies that I think my girls would like, so if any of those are helpful, let me know.

(Hangs head in shame for being out of the loop!)
I know I'm late for the party. But why not watch A New Hope. Then go from there.

Came back to update! Last Thursday we finally told our daughters about our surprise trip and we have been binging the Star Wars movies each night! So far we have seen, in this order:
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

Tonight and tomorrow we will watch:
The Last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker

Then we leave for our trip on Thursday! I will say, we have really enjoyed the movies. While they aren't my favorite style, we have all cuddled together and watched them with so much anticipation and excitement about our trip. It is something I will always remember!

Will report back after we finally get to see Galaxy's Edge and hopefully ride the two rides! Now the pressure is ON to get that boarding pass!

The Phantom Menace-1 and Attack of the Clones-2 are ok but I think the real story starts with #3-Revenge of the Sith. That’s where Darth Vader starts. Then see A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, The Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker.

They are good movies, you should watch them!

IMO, the best way to watch the Star Wars films is in release order: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi.

It wouldn't hurt to skip the prequels..... :tongue:

Galaxy's Edge is mostly focused on the lore from the newer Disney produced movies (The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi, The Rise of Skywalker). Those will introduce you to Rey, Kylo Ren, The First Order, Finn, etc. If you only care about being familiar with some of what you'll see in Galaxy's Edge, start with the newer movies, and begin with The Force Awakens.

Now, as a Star Wars fan, if you really want to understand all of the characters, I would watch most of the main movies, probably in this order:
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
The Phantom Menace
The Attack of the Clones
The Revenge of the Sith
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
The Force Awakens
The Last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker
No no no. Spoiler. Lol. You gotta watch 4, then 1,2,3 and THEN 5. Shhhhh. It’s a secret.
😂 totally kidding. Well not totally. Many a scholar have debated...

They are good movies, you should watch them!

IMO, the best way to watch the Star Wars films is in release order: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, The Force Awakens, and The Last Jedi.
I think 4 then 1,2,3 then 5. It’s how I did it with my kids and it blew their minds that way.

The Phantom Menace-1 and Attack of the Clones-2 are ok but I think the real story starts with #3-Revenge of the Sith. That’s where Darth Vader starts. Then see A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, The Return of the Jedi, The Force Awakens, The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker.
I sure got a lot to say. I’m such a freak. This is brilliant. If you’re going to see only 4 movies, watch 3-6.

Came back to update! Last Thursday we finally told our daughters about our surprise trip and we have been binging the Star Wars movies each night! So far we have seen, in this order:
A New Hope
The Empire Strikes Back
The Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

Tonight and tomorrow we will watch:
The Last Jedi
The Rise of Skywalker

Then we leave for our trip on Thursday! I will say, we have really enjoyed the movies. While they aren't my favorite style, we have all cuddled together and watched them with so much anticipation and excitement about our trip. It is something I will always remember!

Will report back after we finally get to see Galaxy's Edge and hopefully ride the two rides! Now the pressure is ON to get that boarding pass!
Wait all that and I missed it. Aw crude. I was trying to live vicariously through you.

Wait all that and I missed it. Aw crude. I was trying to live vicariously through you.

We had a fabulous time!! We all loved GE and got to experience RotR and MF. I was glad we took the time to bond over the movies before our trip. I knew what I was looking at (most of the time) and just enriched the whole experience. And it made for some excellent Christmas gift ideas (both girls got lots of Star Wars Lego sets!)

One highlight of the trip was the last minute reservation I got at Oga's Cantina, we all very much enjoyed that break in the day and the drinks and snackies. I don't think I would have worried with trying to get that if we hadn't seen the movies!

We had a fabulous time!! We all loved GE and got to experience RotR and MF. I was glad we took the time to bond over the movies before our trip. I knew what I was looking at (most of the time) and just enriched the whole experience. And it made for some excellent Christmas gift ideas (both girls got lots of Star Wars Lego sets!)

One highlight of the trip was the last minute reservation I got at Oga's Cantina, we all very much enjoyed that break in the day and the drinks and snackies. I don't think I would have worried with trying to get that if we hadn't seen the movies!
We were there for opening of Rose of the Resistance (by coincidence) and were blown away. Im sure it was great to be familiar with the movies just to be in that part of the park. Totally immersive. Awesome!

I think it is fascinating when I meet peeps who have never seen a single SW movie. Why? How? Didn't your parents love you? Our first time at Oga's we were seated with this group who had never seen a movie. It was like finding a leprechaun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter