New buses coming in early 2024 - ECV restrictions

Not sure this has been said but I rode one today you ride beck wards and I think there is room for 3 mobile devices but not 100% sure

Here now, a few personal thoughts and experiences regarding the new buses. We’ve been here for 10 days, we’ve encountered them 3 times. The Gogo scooter my husband uses can only ride in the forward facing spot, not because of being crushed but because the “arms” will not tighten against the smaller frames. Maybe this is something they need to adjust in the future, there are plenty of smaller scooters. Mine is a little larger, the arms do work on it. However, the straight backboard moves the back of your seat and I don’t know if it’s my height or body size, the high position crossbody seatbelt crushes my chest and wraps around my neck. And no, I can’t transfer, and no, we were not asked or told to transfer. The belt crushed me so hard my left arm was numb and I thought I was going to die on vacation! We were not told or asked to pull on the bus backwards, we drove up the ramp and had to turn around in the large space (all the seats were folded up). One driver took my controls and tried to assist me, he ran me into 3 different walls, I’m sure the drivers are still in training as are the guests. The other driver was no help at all, he stood back and kept telling me to back into the spot. The 3rd new bus we encountered I refused to board, I waited for the next “old style” bus. Before this trip I valued everyone’s reports of using the new buses, so hopefully I’ve helped answer a few more questions. I know these new buses are supposed to serve a purpose, hopefully in the years to come I’ll figure out what that purpose is. At this point every driver we spoke with, not just the ones on the new buses, despise them, guests seem upset, the boarding process takes longer and there are fewer seats. I remember reading a previous post regarding people with canes, older folks and children having to go up the steps because there’s less seating, that’s absolutely true. I felt terrible taking up room and facing backwards and looking into their faces!!!

There are devices/people the new securement devices don't work for. Some include:
  • Any device that folds from side to side - which includes some of the portable power chairs and manual chairs that fold that way
  • Devices with small wheels that don't extend far enough up to be covered
  • Some rigid manual wheelchairs where the back folds forward
  • People who are not able to ride in a rear facing direction

I know these new buses are supposed to serve a purpose, hopefully in the years to come I’ll figure out what that purpose is. At this point every driver we spoke with, not just the ones on the new buses, despise them, guests seem upset, the boarding process takes longer and there are fewer seats. I remember reading a previous post regarding people with canes, older folks and children having to go up the steps because there’s less seating, that’s absolutely true. I felt terrible taking up room and facing backwards and looking into their faces!!!
Regarding the bus drivers hating the new buses, I can't help but hope that this gets Disney's attention, and maybe the ordering of the new buses will be stopped. I'm sure I'm not alone in worrying about how children will handle all the standing on the buses with their little arms-we're going to WDW in October with our 3 young grandchildren and considering renting a car for this reason. Also, as I've mentioned, this doesn't make those of us needing ECVs very popular. It's our fault [some might think] that Grandpa, or little Sarah, has to stand on the bus.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter