New Countdown...Days to Retirement

Well, I just calculated that it's been 621 days SINCE I retired!

In our county in Maryland teachers had to make a decision in the mid-seventies about keeping the old retirement plan or joining a new one. If we joined the new we would be given everything we had put in but receive less when we retired. DH stayed in the old and I went to the new. We invested the money I received at the time into buying our first house and into investments.

As it turns out this worked out well for us, partly because I worked well beyond minimum retirement age and then worked for an educational federal contractor. And because I actually worked year-round for many of my school system years I made up the difference in the 2 retirement systems. We watch our big expenses closely but it looks like we will be okay (fingers crossed)!

18 days until Tenn for a long weekend
47 days until Food and Wine
48 days until Anniversary
60 days until Texas A&M vs Florida
91 days until leadership conference and MIL birthday
100 days until NOLA and Thanksgiving
103 days until Texas A&M vs LSU
105 days until cruise
243 days until Ireland
and

781 calendar days until I retire.

....a week from Friday....BLECCCHHHH.....2nd year without a contract and they [admin] is being wonky about it. Really? September 1? And then the Labor Day weekend to follow? We've always started on the Tuesday after the Labor Day weekend, with the kids coming back a day later....

8 days until Tenn for a long weekend
37 days until Food and Wine
38 days until Anniversary
50 days until Texas A&M vs Florida
81 days until leadership conference and MIL birthday
90 days until NOLA and Thanksgiving
93 days until Texas A&M vs LSU
95 days until cruise
233 days until Ireland
and

771 calendar days until I retire.

....a week from Friday....BLECCCHHHH.....2nd year without a contract and they [admin] is being wonky about it. Really? September 1? And then the Labor Day weekend to follow? We've always started on the Tuesday after the Labor Day weekend, with the kids coming back a day later....

That's been happening more and more! My friend starts back on Monday, and that's only because parents were in an uproar - the district wanted them back this week! Admin is what really makes teaching such a stressful job...hugs for you!

That's been happening more and more! My friend starts back on Monday, and that's only because parents were in an uproar - the district wanted them back this week! Admin is what really makes teaching such a stressful job...hugs for you!
....the unsaid feeling is that they are doing this for spite....

....the unsaid feeling is that they are doing this for spite....

We had a superintendent who wanted the last four days of school to be full days for the students instead of half days. Since they were already in the calendar, the arbitrator said that she could not change that. So instead of the teachers being able to use those afternoons to pack up the classrooms and meet about upcoming students, she scheduled "professional development" in each school which was slapped together at the last minute and rather useless.

We had a superintendent who wanted the last four days of school to be full days for the students instead of half days. Since they were already in the calendar, the arbitrator said that she could not change that. So instead of the teachers being able to use those afternoons to pack up the classrooms and meet about upcoming students, she scheduled "professional development" in each school which was slapped together at the last minute and rather useless.
.....wow.......sounds like something that'd happen n our district.....we are going on Year 2 without a contract and I have a strong feeling that, if it does ever get resolved, we won't be seeing any retro....

.....wow.......sounds like something that'd happen n our district.....we are going on Year 2 without a contract and I have a strong feeling that, if it does ever get resolved, we won't be seeing any retro....

No retro? That's criminal!

10 days until Food and Wine
11 days until Anniversary
23 days until Texas A&M vs Florida
54 days until leadership conference and MIL birthday
63 days until NOLA and Thanksgiving
66 days until Texas A&M vs LSU
68 days until cruise
206 days until Ireland
and

744 calendar days until I retire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!