New family radios

T

tinkerbellwdw2000

Has anyone used the new family radios that offer a 5 mile radius at WDW and compared them to the 2 mile? I'm thinking of purchasing some new ones for our trip in April. I notice they have some other features that seem nicer as well.

Thanks for your help!

Just chiming in with my broken record reminder... There are no "new family radios." The "5-mile" radios are GMRS radios and not Family Radio Service (FRS) radios. GMRS radios legally require a $75 FCC license that's good for 5 years and covers all members of an immediate family.

Thanks, Geoff. I couldn't remember the GMRS. Does the radios indicate that you must purchase a license? I don't recall seeing anything on them that does, but it could be in the inside.

Also, I just noticed that my profile doesn't include the number of posts I've posted in the past or my original signature. Any idea on that one? Did something change on here? I haven't posted in a while.

thanks!

We didn't see that requirement anywhere UNTIL we bought ours this Christmas. Now, they can be set on a setting that is similar to the 2 mile ones that do not require registration.

I bought DH and I the Motorola Talkabouts for Christmas. They have FRS and GRMS channels, and for those Channels 1 through 7 are GMRS and FRS with 1 watt of power (ideal situations a 5 mile range). Channels 8-14 are only FRS (and .5 watt) and channels 15-22 are only GMRS(1.0 watt).

It is stated in the User's guide and on the back of the packaging that they are GRMS, but only inside the guide did it state an FCC license is required (guess my radiotelephone operator's permit won't do for that, and $75 goes to Uncle Charlie). Channels 8-14 are only FRS (and .5 watt) and channels 15-22 are only GMRS(1.0 watt).

So far, playing with them, I find that in my slightly hilly area, we've been getting about a 3 mile dropoff. I'm figuring that once we get to flat terrain, it'll work better.

Just realized another use...we stop at my mom's on the way to WDW and it's only 3 miles from the hotel to her place. I can play with them there!

Suzanne
Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter