NEW food TSA rules coming soon. Sometimes already in effect in Orlando.

This thread is making me nervous because of a trip from DC to Vancouver we are taking in June for our Disney cruise to Alaska. I have two daughters with a genetic condition and they take corn starch to keep from getting hypoglycemic. We pre-measure the dosages with a digital scale. We will be traveling with this "random white powder" dosed out, along with lots of snacks for our long flight. We usually mix it with unsweetened almond milk but for the sake of ease of travel I will have them take it with water probably that day. We have a note from our doctor and that will hopefully cover it but if they test our doses, we can't use it. :guilty: We've never flown with the girls.
Amy

This thread is making me nervous because of a trip from DC to Vancouver we are taking in June for our Disney cruise to Alaska. I have two daughters with a genetic condition and they take corn starch to keep from getting hypoglycemic. We pre-measure the dosages with a digital scale. We will be traveling with this "random white powder" dosed out, along with lots of snacks for our long flight. We usually mix it with unsweetened almond milk but for the sake of ease of travel I will have them take it with water probably that day. We have a note from our doctor and that will hopefully cover it but if they test our doses, we can't use it. :guilty: We've never flown with the girls.
Amy
Put it in a clear container and they should just swab the outside.

I know how you feel though, Vegas wanted us to open our DDs shelf stable milk so they could test it. I told them it'd be no use to me opened and that I was allowed to carry milk for a baby. So I had to get a full pat down and bag search, which somehow convinced them the milk was fine. They even let me pick which bag to search. I decided next time I was going to strip to my underwear for them. It is all theater.

Well, Dear Wife and I now have TSA PRE (paid for). No longer concerned about "Main Line" rules.... just PRE rules.
Now, we also suspect that all the new "stuff" was pretty much designed to PUSH people to TSA PRE.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Amy
Maybe you can sign up for precheck to avoid any issues. Just one of you would need it. Not positive it would help but might be worth trying.

And this is why I happily drive from Tulsa to Orlando. I'd rather be driving and seeing the countryside than standing in a line for hours while my candy gets screened.

Much as I hate long car trips I'm beginning to consider the no-fly option.

This. Our last trip was delayed by several hours, so by the time we got to Florida, our 2.5 hour non stop flight consumed over 12 hours of travel time. We could have driven in 15. And we could have avoided the pat down of our then-4-year-old who has a pacemaker but is too short for the full-body scanner. The flight home was cancelled because of a record snow storm in Baltimore, so we ended up renting a van and driving home anyway.

/I don't know about food and candy but on the talk about electronics:

Flew out of MCI to MCO-tablet/kindle still in carryon 9/8
Flew out of MCO to MCI-tablet/kindle still in carryon 9/18

Flew out of MCI to LAS-tablet/kindle out of carryon 10/2
Flew out of LAS to MCI-tablet/kindle still in carryon 10/9

I don't know exactly when this new food thing was even started at certain airports but it didn't affect my baggie of gardettos on 10/9 flying out of LAS to MCI. Perhaps it's newer thing than that though.

/I don't know about food and candy but on the talk about electronics:

Flew out of MCI to MCO-tablet still in carryon 9/8
Flew out of MCO to MCI-tablet still in carryon 9/18

Flew out of MCI to LAS-tablet out of carryon 10/2
Flew out of LAS to MCI-tablet still in carryon 10/9

I don't know exactly when this new food thing was even started at certain airports but it didn't affect my baggie of gardettos on 10/9 flying out of LAS to MCI. Perhaps it's newer thing than that though.
The electronic thing is why I got pre check.

The dogs make all the difference. I posted this in another thread awhile back: about a year ago we were in MCO stuck in the security line with what seemed like a million other people, and it was moving at a snail's pace. We had been in line well over half an hour, and were barely past the point where they check boarding passes and ID. There was still a huge line ahead of us. Then all of a sudden it was like they'd opened a floodgate; the line started moving quickly and the security agents were telling everyone to put everything in bags, keep shoes on, etc. They had brought in a dog, and the whole backlog was cleared in about 10 minutes. Wish they had the dogs there all the time!

This happened to us the last time we flew out of MCO without pre-check. We thankfully have it now. They blocked off a section of the line and wouldn't let us move for 15-20 minutes. Then a TSA agent with a dog showed up. The MCO TSA was griping her out for being late. She told them that their people (she must have been a national employee or something) wouldn't let her threw, because they wouldn't accept her TSA ID and drivers license:confused3 You know things are messed up when a TSA agent with proper ID can't get in:sad2: After the sniff, the let us go up to the conveyor and metal detector. However, there were no bins, and one of the employees kept telling us to take stuff out. I politely asked for a bin and got yelled at that I didn't need one. I proceeded to explain that I was a human being who didn't deserve this sort of treatment for asking for a bin. I said that they need to learn to communicate instructions and everyone would be happier. They just stared at me in shock, like they had never viewed us anything but cattle:( I hate MCO!

The electronic thing is why I got pre check.

I got it for the shoes. I just get really OCD going barefoot or sock-footed at the airport. Plus, I really don't like going through the large magnetic scanners. Being an EE, I don't trust those people to know how to use a computer, much less a sophisticated machine involving high frequencies and magnets:rolleyes: Also, who tests those scanners to ensure safety? I don't see a UL or any other testing organization endorsement.

Amy
Corn starch is ok, but they will likely investigate any loose powders. Just keep it in clear containers/bags as a powder and keep it where it is easily accessible. I might even pull it out. I once had baby powder in a carry on & they went through my luggage-so having it out &/or accessible will help. The TSA website has info on all items, including corn starch.

Thousands of people fly everyday, many with food and other items. Don't let this board stress you.

If you travel internationally often you might consider the Global Entry program.

We were actually talking about how long it's going to be until you're not allowed carryon bags.

I have said from the beginning the airlines got it wrong...they should charge to bring anything larger than a duffle bag / back pack / diaper bag / tote bag / briefcase on the plane. if it can't fit under the seat there is a charge. And make checked bags free. This would allow planes to load and unload faster. It cracks me up to see people trying to bring a suitcase, large tote bag, and a purse on the plane and then get upset when the airline tells them they will have to check one.

I got it for the shoes. I just get really OCD going barefoot or sock-footed at the airport. Plus, I really don't like going through the large magnetic scanners. Being an EE, I don't trust those people to know how to use a computer, much less a sophisticated machine involving high frequencies and magnets:rolleyes: Also, who tests those scanners to ensure safety? I don't see a UL or any other testing organization endorsement.
My husband and I considered doing Pre Check before we went to Orlando but I was hesitant and decided against it because of my mom going with us to Vegas several weeks after getting back from Orlando and as she hadn't flown in soooo long and was already asking me a million questions about what to pack in luggage and how much luggage to take, etc I didn't want her to feel nervous if we were in the Pre Check line and she wasn't.

Ironically my mom hadn't flown in 8 years until she went with us to Vegas in October----she got TSA Pre Check as a random selection both to Vegas and coming home from Vegas. *Sigh* such is life lol.

Corn starch is ok, but they will likely investigate any loose powders. Just keep it in clear containers/bags as a powder and keep it where it is easily accessible. I might even pull it out. I once had baby powder in a carry on & they went through my luggage-so having it out &/or accessible will help. The TSA website has info on all items, including corn starch.

Thousands of people fly everyday, many with food and other items. Don't let this board stress you.

If you travel internationally often you might consider the Global Entry program.
Whenever I travel I get a tad nervous about packing Tums in my carry on (not in the actual original container but in a sandwich baggie). Flying doesn't always suit well for me in terms of heartburn. Anyways whenever I travel I get a brand new bag so the baggie is less likely to have a lot of white powder around lol.

I am hoping this changes by the time DD10 and I go in September. We plan on going to more than one Halloween party, so we will have a ton of candy. Last year, we had a lot of candy and put it in our checked luggage but it was nowhere to be found when we got home and unpacked. My daughter was ready to cut someone over stealing her green Peeps lol. I was planning on avoiding a similar situation by putting the candy in our carry-on but this is making me second guess that plan a bit.

So are they swabbing the wrappers or are they unwrapping everything and swabbing the actual candy?

I have said from the beginning the airlines got it wrong...they should charge to bring anything larger than a duffle bag / back pack / diaper bag / tote bag / briefcase on the plane. if it can't fit under the seat there is a charge. And make checked bags free. This would allow planes to load and unload faster. It cracks me up to see people trying to bring a suitcase, large tote bag, and a purse on the plane and then get upset when the airline tells them they will have to check one.

Frontier actually does this. They also charge to check luggage, but they charge more for carry-ons. I have never seen a plane so devoid of carry-ons in my life.

I am hoping this changes by the time DD10 and I go in September. We plan on going to more than one Halloween party, so we will have a ton of candy. Last year, we had a lot of candy and put it in our checked luggage but it was nowhere to be found when we got home and unpacked. My daughter was ready to cut someone over stealing her green Peeps lol. I was planning on avoiding a similar situation by putting the candy in our carry-on but this is making me second guess that plan a bit.

So are they swabbing the wrappers or are they unwrapping everything and swabbing the actual candy?

The agent took my candy, picked it up a handful at a time and swabbed each handful separately. No candy was unwrapped, but it was dumped out of the Ziploc bags I had used to contain it.

So pre-check is a good thing? I've considered it but I'm not really sure.

Since my accident walking is a challenge and taking off shoes makes it worse. It might be worth it just for that.

Pre-check is no guarantee. I use pre-check and on my last trip I was pulled out of the pre-check line and was patted down, had to go through the full body scanner, and my hands were swabbed. The agent took my husband's wallet out of the bin for some unknown reason and did not return it to him for several minutes. We each had a small carry-on and one personal bag in accordance with the rules. We are both 70 years old. When we asked why we had to go through this when we were pre-check, we were told it was random.

So pre-check is a good thing? I've considered it but I'm not really sure.

Since my accident walking is a challenge and taking off shoes makes it worse. It might be worth it just for that.

Pre-check is no guarantee. I use pre-check and on my last trip I was pulled out of the pre-check line and was patted down, had to go through the full body scanner, and my hands were swabbed. The agent took my husband's wallet out of the bin for some unknown reason and did not return it to him for several minutes. We each had a small carry-on and one personal bag in accordance with the rules. We are both 70 years old. When we asked why we had to go through this when we were pre-check, we were told it was random.

I have also heard of times when pre-check has not opened yet, but I haven't seen this. I don't know if all airports have pre-check, but I have seen it at all of the airports I have been. It's been worth it for us though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!