New Furniture UGH!!

For my view, well made furniture has always been expensive but at least it lasted a lifetime. Now it’s difficult to purchase pieces made of hardwood with furniture maker joints without paying a lot. Used to be able to buy from thrift shops at great prices but now it’s all more modern pieces with less rigorous standards of construction.

Most of my upholstered seating is at least 90 years old and reupholstered every 10 to 15 years. Having beaten the game somewhat I’m now caught with two problems: upholstery shops are disappearing and the cost of fabric has gone through the roof. No more changing the look just because ☹️

Last edited:
I would encourage you (if you haven't already) to search out locally own mom and pop places. We have changed furniture like we change underwear in our almost 35 years of marriage. All sorts of reasons but the common thread is they all came from one of the big furniture stores. We finally found a mom and pop place this last purchase a couple of months ago. They have been open since 1976. Their store was not fancy. Just a big building with furniture sitting everywhere. Price and quality was better than anywhere we have ever purchased
That what we have done with with most of our furniture, especially sofas and arm/swivel chairs Find something we like , then check out the fabric options, then order.May have to wait a month or two , but worth it IMHO. Actually the place we shop at has been around for 50+ years & remember going to it with my Parents & Grandparents .
The only big box stores we used was our bedroom set from Raymour & Flannigan and the dinning room table/ China cabinet from a old Sears furniture store.

We tend to go to a huge local-ish (50 min drive, next county over) furniture store that has tons of display pieces plus an entire clearance building on their campus. Another place we've had luck is stopping into the smaller furniture places in our regional Amish country area. I will also stop in to an Arhaus clearance center to see what's in stock--sometimes it's scratch & dent, other times it's just returns, but it can be 70% off the catalog price if you catch a bonus discount weekend.

I'm not as fussy as I once was because furniture doesn't seem to last as long as it once did for us. I think it's the combination of how things are made these days plus two boys and a dog. We get 8 about years out of a couch now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter