New member - 11 month reservation question

luvthatdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi guys,

I am a new member (just purchased points at SSR (direct) and we have a August UY). We did receive 2018 points. I have a banking question that I hope you guys can help me with.

I know we will need to bank our 2018 points by next March. However, we do not plan on using any points until Sept 2019 which is into the 2019 UY. We will use all of our points for one year - will not need to borrow from the next year. If we do not bank them yet, can I still make our 11 month reservation next month?

I am getting a little confused and I do not want to bank them yet if I do not have to just in case an unexpected trip comes up before next September. I am probably looking at this way too hard, but I want to make sure I do this correctly!!

***I am so anxious to start planning...any tips to keep my sanity for the next year???

I'd like to also know from the experts. I'm in the same boat as you, but I might bank then now as we are definitely not planning to go between now and next September.

Your August 2018 points must be banked to use for a reservation that takes place after July 31, 2019.

You can do it without banking them first, but you'll be using the 2019 points to do so. Better to bank them, so you use the 2018 points from the outset.

I agree with Aurora. Your current, 2018 points must be banked in order to use AFTER the end of this use year, which is July 31.

If you bank them NOW, then you can use them to make your reservation at the 11 month window. If you DON'T bank them now, then you can STILL make the reservation, but you will be making the reservation with 2019 points. The important factor here is that, since the reservation is in NEXT use year, you don't need to wait until NEXT USE YEAR to make the reservation. You can make the reservation. But you MUST use points which are somehow attached to NEXT use year. I.E. you will be using the 2019 points.

IF you bank the current points (moving them from the 2018 use year to the 2019 use year) and you do the banking before you make the reservation, then those points will be the first up on the list to be used. You will be able to use them in the 2019 use year. However, IF THEY ARE NOT BANKED AND NOT THERE, in 2019, then your reservation will use the points which ARE there, the 2019 points. Have I made it clear? I hope so.

So, what happens later, when you bank the points from this year? NOTHING, except that they are now banked. The reservation system WILL NOT automatically take those points and apply them to a reservation that you have already made. BUT, ALL IS NOT LOST. You will have 2 options at that point.

1. Go into the program. Go to your Dashboard. Find your reservation. Click on it. Choose to MODIFY the reservation. TWO modify buttons will pop up. The first modify button will be to modify the unit information, the details of dates, locations, units, etc. The second modify button will be to modify the user information and details of people, addresses and things like that. CHOOSE THE TOP MODIFY BUTTON. Walk through the reservation, choosing everything exactly as you already have it. Look at the calendar. Your reservation dates should be listed. Click on the appropriate dates, etc. But then, you SHOULD come to the screen where you choose the contract and points. It should let you choose your points that have now been banked. Choose that, confirm the reservation, and you should be done. Go back into your Dashboard and then look at your points to make sure which points from which use year have been used.

2. If the above doesn't work, or if you are afraid you might lose the reservation, etc, then you go to the second option and you CALL MEMBER SERVICES. Ask the Cast Member to take your reservation and put the BANKED points on it, to replace the regular, 2019 points.

If you don't do one of the above two things, then you will use up your 2019 points, and your 2018 points that you banked AFTER you made the initial reservation, will sit in your account and expire at the end of the 2019 use year.

Last edited:
Thank you Frederic! That is perfect! I am going to print that out and keep it!!

I think we may wait a little bit and let the 2019 reservation go under our 2019 points for the time being. It does not seem too hard to switch once I bank the 2018 points - especially when MS can help me!

Your August 2018 points must be banked to use for a reservation that takes place after July 31, 2019.

I was in the same boat this morning - since we just purchased and didn't plan on using current years points. I wasn't sure either and called to make the reservation. She had to book the 2018 points before being able to book it so it would use them. It can be done easily online from what I have seen but since it was my first time booking I wanted to make sure I did it right, just like you! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts