New Monorail Fleet Ordered?

I thought both trains were rebuilt after the accident. First the good ends from each of the 2 were merged into a train, and then salvageable parts from the damaged ends were combined with new fabrication to create an entirely new train, which took several years to complete.
Monorail Teal was rebuilt from the two crashed monorails Pink and Purple.

Monorail Peach was built by Disney in 2011. So 14 trains total over the life span but they’ve never had more then 12 at a time.

I thought both trains were rebuilt after the accident. First the good ends from each of the 2 were merged into a train, and then salvageable parts from the damaged ends were combined with new fabrication to create an entirely new train, which took several years to complete.

No. I think Teal was either created or bolstered from the parts of Pink and Purple. But both trains weren't rebuilt.

No. I think Teal was either created or bolstered from the parts of Pink and Purple. But both trains weren't rebuilt.
I probably should have worded it that both trains were replaced (as rteetz just posted), so the number of trains before and currently is the same.

I know the 12th train is said to have been built "new," but I'd wager they used what they could from the damaged trains (bogies, door motors, etc.) both for parts and as templates.

I probably should have worded it that both trains were replaced (as rteetz just posted), so the number of trains before and currently is the same.

I know the 12th train is said to have been built "new," but I'd wager they used what they could from the damaged trains (bogies, door motors, etc.) both for parts and as templates.
Yes. rteetz was more correct than I was at least. Somehow I'm not surprised!

The MAPO system (the automation they installed) divides the track into block lengths. The system works by ensuring that no trains are within 2 blocks of a previous train. If we knew the block length, you would know the theoretical maximum for the number of trains on the track.

The limiting factor becomes the station dwell time. Normal operation is 3 or 4 trains on the resort loop. Even when you run 4 trains you don't really gain an awful lot because of the load/unload times in the stations which means trains spend more time "holding for clearance" between stations.

You're right with 2-3 on Epcot, but low on the others. I don't think I've ever seen less than 3 on Express. The Resort loop takes about 20 minutes to complete, and the trains run about 5 minutes apart, so that would take 4 trains, or at least 3 for a 7-minute headway.
Yeah it was admittedly conservative. There’s I think 5(?) stations in the resort loop, so they could hypothetically run that many trains if they wanted to

This is from a year ago maybe and not the best video. It's different now, a few more things have been added and I change the layout some every time I have to take it apart and put it away for a while. But this will give you an idea of my problem.
you need the rare HO MK train set to add to this. but nice work. I got the ball and the contemporary. but haven't added anything in 15ish years

you need the rare HO MK train set to add to this. but nice work. I got the ball and the contemporary. but haven't added anything in 15ish years
Yes. I'm not willing to drop $200 on a plastic Main Street Station and another $100 or so at least on the MK train. I just don't have the room. I used to have the astro orbiter and dumbo spinners. Bought them broken for cheap. Took them apart and replaced the gear. Then sold them on for enough to buy the GF. The spinners didn't do much for me and they have completely the wrong scale, though everything is kind of the wrong scale. I had a shot at a Haunted Mansion and probably should have bought it, but it's based off the DL Haunted Mansion and I just didn't want to spend the money they wanted. The one piece I want and am likely to get is the Sorcerer's Hat. I just haven't seen one I'm willing to pay for yet. Then I would have the symbol for all 4 parks, even if DHS has since gone away from having a centerpiece symbol.

Really though, it's the TTC piece that makes it work. Without that, you are stuck with just lousy ovals. That being said, there is now a guy making switches on EBAY. Not the TTC piece, but his own manual switch. $100. Probably well worth it just to make better layouts since the TTC is hard to find and stupidly expensive when you do.

Yes. I'm not willing to drop $200 on a plastic Main Street Station and another $100 or so at least on the MK train. I just don't have the room. I used to have the astro orbiter and dumbo spinners. Bought them broken for cheap. Took them apart and replaced the gear. Then sold them on for enough to buy the GF. The spinners didn't do much for me and they have completely the wrong scale, though everything is kind of the wrong scale. I had a shot at a Haunted Mansion and probably should have bought it, but it's based off the DL Haunted Mansion and I just didn't want to spend the money they wanted. The one piece I want and am likely to get is the Sorcerer's Hat. I just haven't seen one I'm willing to pay for yet. Then I would have the symbol for all 4 parks, even if DHS has since gone away from having a centerpiece symbol.

Really though, it's the TTC piece that makes it work. Without that, you are stuck with just lousy ovals. That being said, there is now a guy making switches on EBAY. Not the TTC piece, but his own manual switch. $100. Probably well worth it just to make better layouts since the TTC is hard to find and stupidly expensive when you do.
In the future I plan on building an HO scale train layout, one of the areas will be Disney world and will have that $200 plastic main street station. So frustrating that it is so hard to find in good condition.

The current (no pun intended) system operates off a "third rail". You can see the buss attached to the side the beam way.

Just took some shots; can you please point out the "third rail" and, if possible, comment on the voltage dump(s)? I didn't see battery/capacitor cabinets (at least at MK this week), but perhaps I am missing the parsing. Thanks for your insight and hope not to across confrontational, but as a learner.

I took some videos leaving Poly and MK, but couldn't interpret the electrical connectivity; if you want, I can upload.

Best....

31398235_10216721743262953_7823144197925371904_o.jpg 31306900_10216721744422982_7588421495009837056_o.jpg 31351543_10216721747223052_3208189967083765760_o.jpg 31369581_10216721746423032_2073761002515595264_o.jpg 31384167_10216721745703014_2303395659539021824_o.jpg

In the future I plan on building an HO scale train layout, one of the areas will be Disney world and will have that $200 plastic main street station. So frustrating that it is so hard to find in good condition.

I've been trying to buy each of the monorail color variants out there and it is a pain. So hard to find ones that aren't totally discolored or with doors missing. I just can't bring myself to drop $100 on a Monorail Teal that is missing a door. I am up to for trains so far though - Red, Black, and Yellow of the original models and a new Blue one.

I've seen the switches on eBay. I did buy a couple of the side-by-side adapters to run two rails on the same support. They are pretty nice. Solid 3D printed items. Haven't brought myself to buy the switches though. Price is a bit steep still.

I've been trying to buy each of the monorail color variants out there and it is a pain. So hard to find ones that aren't totally discolored or with doors missing. I just can't bring myself to drop $100 on a Monorail Teal that is missing a door. I am up to for trains so far though - Red, Black, and Yellow of the original models and a new Blue one.

I've seen the switches on eBay. I did buy a couple of the side-by-side adapters to run two rails on the same support. They are pretty nice. Solid 3D printed items. Haven't brought myself to buy the switches though. Price is a bit steep still.

Yeah. I have some side by sides as well. I've never really found a use for them. But that guy makes good stuff.

Just took some shots; can you please point out the "third rail" and, if possible, comment on the voltage dump(s)?
The third rail is the black-is bar that parallels the top of the beam way, about a foot (maybe less) from the top. I'm not familiar with the "voltage dump" term.

This is from a year ago maybe and not the best video. It's different now, a few more things have been added and I change the layout some every time I have to take it apart and put it away for a while. But this will give you an idea of my problem.
Pretty Cool! I have one of the original monorails, I bought it just after they went on sale. It's a red stripped monorail. I remember having to carry it through the airport. The only time I use it is Christmas time, I run it around the base of my Christmas Tree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter