• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

New Owners and Renting

Deb & Bill

DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
Is it just me or does it seem like more and more new owners want to try to rent out their points? Man, when we got our points, I couldn't wait to make that first reservation and get back to WDW. From that point on (1997), we are borrowed ahead, even with adding on four times after our initial purchase. We have a Sept use year and have used all our 05 points already. Some are for a Jan 06 reservation, but not all of them.

It's funny you should post this - I was thinking the same thing. I remember when I bought in and made my first reservation - it was for the same year! Last year was the first time I was actually able to bank points. Didn't last very long though I've already used all my Dec. 2004 & 2005 points and borrowed from my Dec. 2006 points. On top of this, I added on 50 more BWV points which gave me 50 points in Dec. 2004!

I think I need to add on again!

Cyn

We're new owners and I'm with you! I just got our reservation confirmation for our January trip and I look at it periodically just enjoying the idea we will be going back in less than six months. :cloud9: I think I'd only rent out if I absolutely had to, for some financial emergency or something. I'd bank if I couldn't go next year, and save for a huge trip the following year!

I've been trying to figure all day on if I should borrow from next year or go ahead and take the plunge for my first add on. :scratchin

When we purchased in June, 1993, we took the tour in mid-afternoon, signed the papers on the spot, and were checking into the DVC 1-B/R unit (since renamed OKW) about an hour later.

Thank goodness the wait was short.

I can't imagine the anxiety it would be to purchase today, but not be able to 'go home' until months, or perhaps even more than a year away. Yikes.

We bought enough points for the way our family will be, not the way it is now. When my boys are older they will want their own beds and I am sure we will be in a two bedroom. For now we stay in a one bedroom. I did rent out the extra points last year to pay for my MIL. Next year is my 10 year anniversary, we will not be going to Disney. So I rented out next year's point's for a big family blow-out this year. It also helps cover the dues for now. Now when the loan is paid off and my boys need their own beds, nobody is touching my points. :rotfl:

I get the feeling that some new members are putting renting points into their "financial planning" for the purchase. I wonder if it is because the price is so much higher now.
I paid $65 per point in 1999, total of $14,750 for 250 points with a $1,500 magical beginnings credit. At $98 a point, it would now be $24,500 minus any credits. That is a huge difference! As much as I love DVC, I don't think I would pay that much.

We rent points to pay for other vacation options (Disney and other). Since points for exchanges through DVC have skyrocketed, there really isn't another option. Maybe the newbie rentals have to do with the bonus points offer?

Perhaps it is just a matter of the differences in the way we all handle finances? It's true that DVC is much more expensive now than just a few years ago. There are still many people who don't like to buy by financing, or if they do finance, need to find a way to bring the cost of MF down. Plus, those who bought more points because they know they will need them when their family grows, have too many points right now...and if they rent some, it helps pay for part of the financing charges.

Lots of people have second homes that they rent when they aren't using it. Sure, most of them would rather keep that second home private for their own use, but it helps to defray some of the cost by renting. So too with DVC points: sure it woudl be nice to splurge on a bigger unit for more days. But if you have enough self discipline, you can actually give up a few points here and there and ..... :rotfl2: ...for some people, they hardly even miss them!

I remember posting awhile back that I felt there would be a lot more rental activity due to the extra 100 pts. many people were receiving as an add-on incentive. I think I may have been correct (better make a note on the calendar, LOL). Also, it may not be new owners -- could also be long-term owners that have just found the Rent/Trade Board and have started taking non-Disney vacations. Low post counts don't always mean new owners.

Another Take:

My first two purchases were via TSS (resale) and were triples, they had all 2003 points banked into 2004, all 2004 UY points, and all 2005 UY points would be comming in. I rented as many of these points as I could.

It got worse with the recent 130 point SSR add-on. I bought 2 - 130 add-ons, each with a 'bonus' of 100 developer points, and all 2004 UY points (since I closed before the beginning of my 2005 UY), thus I had 460 more points to bank, transfer or rent, and I was able to rent them all.

Mind you I have been to WDW as a DVCer in April and July of this year, I'm going in December of this year, and again in April of '06.

My thinking is that I want to be borrowed a year ahead. Thuis when 2031 comes around, I will have already borrowed those points, and won't be fighting for a ressie. Of course this assumes that some extension or new property does NOT appear before then!

So, not all new owners are 'investors'.

-Tony

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter