New to Universal Resorts

monica9

DIS Veteran
Hi. Doing a split stay universal/wdw. We go to Disney almost yearly so universal is new to us. We want to do this as cheap as possible so looking at the new surf side inn or cabana bay. Cabana bay says starting in the $100’s per night but when I check for my dates it’s double. We are looking at end of jan next year. No holiday around us. I always thought January was a cheap time to go. Any insight? Will there be deals end of January for either hotels or tickets? Should we think about another month? We’d only do jan, feb or October or November. Thanks for the help.

Also, when do packages come out for universal? Do they give deals right away or only a few months beforehand? I know I won’t be able to book my package with Disney until the summer and promos won’t come out until fall. Same for universal?

I don't know anyone who books packages at Universal. It is usually more cost-effective to book the room and buy tickets separately. Not sure what is going on with prices, although Universal resorts are usually lower if you book a certain number of nights, like 3 or 4 depending on the season. The 'Be a Savvy Traveler' rate is their discounted rate. Weekends are more expensive.

How many days are you planning to visit? I have a Uni AP and my rate at Cabana Bay a few weeks ago was $99 weeknight/$119 weekend. The AP discounts don't come out very far ahead of time.

I looked for us to book a weekend in late January for this year and couldn't find a rate for that time that I felt was "cheap enough" (even with an AP discount). I'm not sure if their Mardi Gras celebration had anything to do with it or it could have also been the inaugural 5/10K races were the last weekend of January. You had mentioned possibly going in November so it's worth mentioning that we went this past November and were able to stay in a family suite (interior entry) at Cabana Bay starting the Friday after Veteran's Day through the following Saturday for an average of around $150/night with an AP discount. The non-AP discount for a family suite was around $165/night and I think a standard room was around $135. Almost all the rides during that week were a walk-on.

Reactions: AJA

We stayed in early December at Cabana Bay for
$119/night in a pool view Family Suite.

I don't know anyone who books packages at Universal. It is usually more cost-effective to book the room and buy tickets separately. Not sure what is going on with prices, although Universal resorts are usually lower if you book a certain number of nights, like 3 or 4 depending on the season. The 'Be a Savvy Traveler' rate is their discounted rate. Weekends are more expensive.

How many days are you planning to visit? I have a Uni AP and my rate at Cabana Bay a few weeks ago was $99 weeknight/$119 weekend. The AP discounts don't come out very far ahead of time.
Good to know about not booking packages. So I would book a hotel through them and then get tickets at a place like undercover tourist? We are thinking of doing a Saturday to Tuesday so 3 nights at the most if not 2 nights.
I looked for us to book a weekend in late January for this year and couldn't find a rate for that time that I felt was "cheap enough" (even with an AP discount). I'm not sure if their Mardi Gras celebration had anything to do with it or it could have also been the inaugural 5/10K races were the last weekend of January. You had mentioned possibly going in November so it's worth mentioning that we went this past November and were able to stay in a family suite (interior entry) at Cabana Bay starting the Friday after Veteran's Day through the following Saturday for an average of around $150/night with an AP discount. The non-AP discount for a family suite was around $165/night and I think a standard room was around $135. Almost all the rides during that week were a walk-on.
Awesome. Thanks for the info on November and also didn't know they had races the end of January or Mardi Gras

Good to know about not booking packages. So I would book a hotel through them and then get tickets at a place like undercover tourist? We are thinking of doing a Saturday to Tuesday so 3 nights at the most if not 2 nights.

Awesome. Thanks for the info on November and also didn't know they had races the end of January or Mardi Gras

Yes, book your preferred hotel direct with the Universal website or call them direct, then buy your tickets from whomever you choose.

It really is that easy.......:thumbsup2

Restating what others have already said, we’ve been visiting Universal regularly since 2011 and never found a package deal that would be worth it for us.

Prices are much better the longer you stay.

Depending on your dates and if you think you may visit again within 12 months, check out annual passes. A Seasonal AP is around $300 and it opens up AP hotel rates.

The parks are all getting savvy to run promotions: arts festival, Mardi gras, HP (last weekend in Januaryrace weekends

toss in many semi pro national football championship & pro bowl, Daytona 500, MLK& Presidents’ Day...seems like slow periods are a thing of the past

you likely have run into higher rates if you’ve priced for those dates above

weekdays (Sunday to Friday) generally less expensive than weekends. Consider adding the lowest priced APH for one person after running the numbers to see if it provides savings

of the months you mention, early September until HHN might be your best bet.

The 2nd week in November, after Jersey week

There are several stickies here at the top of the page with lots of helpful, basic info

also ck out one of the free crowd calendars during your planning

Be sure to do the math on ticket prices vs buying their annual pass and staying on site at the different levels. I found it was cheaper to get an AP, which then gave me access the their AP rate. I paid $94 and $114 in October for a standard room. In April I will be paying $124 for Sunday-Thursday nights again, with the AP discount. I don't know a lot about Universal, but their AP rate seem much better than Disney! (I dropped my AP at Disney due to their crazy prices)

Stay more play more rate is usually good but you need to stay 5-7 days to get the best deal. if you get an AP, then you could get AP rates, plus discounts on food and more. AP rates come out only a few months out and aren’t guaranteed. Sunday’s through Thursday would also be less expensive than a Friday or Saturday. Play around with your dates and see what works. Remember to avoid events, holidays like Martin Luther King Day weekend and Presidents’ Day weekend. October can get pricey with horror nights.

Last time I saw SMSM listed was last December

It could be Savvey Traveler discount is the replacement?

(This is only my guess )

I’m glad you posted!!!

I’ve been reading other sites and theory is the 7 night + stays might not be available in the fall for a premier hotel

That’s why in my above post I said it was a guess

For me, it has always beat the ap price on a ten night stay at premier hotels

Macraven, you are so right! I usually get better smsm rates than ap rates if I stay 7 or more nights. Only once have I found an AP rate to be better. But, I have noticed on Club1 Hotels, their rates sometimes even beat smsm rates for Hard Rock. The only minus is some of those rates are non-refundable. They have an amazing rate for November that I just might jump on.

I just looked at Universal site and tried to see about November, you are right, there is a new savvy traveler...I have never seen that, but I haven’t tried any rates for about a month. Maybe that is a new rate and gone is the smsm:( well, at least I have one for May.

I just looked at Universal site and tried to see about November, you are right, there is a new savvy traveler...I have never seen that, but I haven’t tried any rates for about a month. Maybe that is a new rate and gone is the smsm:( well, at least I have one for May.

I was looking for dates for August 2020 and the SMSM rate was in place for a long time, but when it changed to the name of Savvy Traveler, the rate was exactly the same. I would venture to guess it isn't exactly a new rate, just a new name.

I’m back to confirm that the Savvey Traveler
is the replacement for the previous SMSM

I booked a ten night stay at a premier hotel for the fall

This discounted rate is listed as Savvey Traveler
My confirmation email it is listed as Stay More
Save More
Eventually the SMSM reference will be changed to the new wording

Some dates for the fall do have the AP rate for for the lower end onsite hotels

Nothing has been released w/ap rate for the premier for the fall yet

This discounted rate is listed as Savvey Traveler
My confirmation email it is listed as Stay More
Save More
Eventually the SMSM reference will be changed to the new wording

Some dates for the fall do have the AP rate for for the lower end onsite hotels

Nothing has been released w/ap rate for the premier for the fall yet

thanks for all the great info!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter