New walkway GF to MK - ECVs okay?

DisneyOma

DIS Veteran
Was looking online at photos of the new walkway from Grand Floridian to Magic Kingdom - does anyone know if a large ECV fits across the first (white) bridge? It looks kind of narrow and there's a post in the middle of each end. Hoping to stay there someday with my mom, who would need a bigger ECV due to her weight. The ability to use that walkway sometimes would be great. Hoping the photos I've seen are just misleading due to angle of the camera? I know there are limits on the size of an ECV, right? But the openings just look really narrow with the post in there.

I would think it would be fine.

This blog article has two photos showing the post; I think the bridge looks narrow because of camer angle, not actual width. It appears to be the same width as the concrete walkway, which if you go by one of the other photos appears to be >4 garbage cans wide.

I'm pretty sure if an ECV meets WDW's size standards it fits inside two of those garbage cans in width.

Also don't walkways like that have to meet ADA or similar state standards for accessibility ?

Hopefully some others can chime in on their thoughts.

https://allears.net/2020/11/20/phot...isney-worlds-grand-floridian-walkway-is-open/

I think it would - like @Starwind, looking at the pictures, I think it's the angle that kind of throws things out of whack.

I remember seeing a view from almost overhead at one point (maybe taken from the Monorail?) and thinking that it looked like a nice, wide bridge, and I could imagine people stopping there, leaning on the railing and looking out over Seven Seas Lagoon...

Thank you both for your info. The video shows the green bridge, which looks plenty wide. There's another bridge though, a white one, closer to the Grand Floridian. That's the one that, to me, looks more narrow and still has the posts at each end. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my first post.
5394991605963018242.png

Thank you both for your info. The video shows the green bridge, which looks plenty wide. There's another bridge though, a white one, closer to the Grand Floridian. That's the one that, to me, looks more narrow and still has the posts at each end. Sorry if that wasn't clear in my first post.

Nope, I knew which one you were referring to. That short video has only the green swing bridge, but the bridge photos are of the white one with the red post.

I think it will probably be fine.

Look at this snippet from another photo:

That pillar is about waist high. It easily could lay on its side on either side of it. So at least 3-ish feet to either side of the pillar, enough space for an ECV to go through.

(**ETA: from the info below about the adult needing a ladder, the red pole could be as tall as an adult, but we'll say it is going to be at least 3' tall possibly as much as ~4+' tall; not possible to really tell based on the photo as the perspective is misleading. See below.)

Disney's ECV size requirement is "32″ x 52″ maximum size for use on the Disney Transportation System". 3' = 36" and it probably is more

Here are some screenshot zoomins from this blog from when it was under construction: https://ziggyknowsdisney.com/grand-floridan-magic-kingdom-walkway/

you can see that the sides are TALL - taller than an adult -- see the worker standing on a ladder beside it and the van and truck parked near it ? They are not handrail height like the railings on the green bridge, which really skews the perspective even more.

See also the white fence sections nearby once it was installed; each of those is probably going to be 6' long or more:

And car and containers in distance:

On this blog https://insidethemagic.net/2020/11/grand-floridian-walkway-opens-ba1/ they have a picture of a person on the green bridge and you can see that the railing on that bridge is somewhere between waist-underarm; here is a screenshot snippet:

Hope this helps.

Some walkthrough videos of the entire pathway. The times below are when you can start seeing the white bridge:

11:34:

2:00:

0:54:

11:35:

0:43
note that from the shadows on the ground as the filmer is walking the camera is @ approx nose/ear/face level and the white side barriers of the bridge are TALLER than the camera level

Starwind, thanks for all the awesome info, and thank you so much for taking the time to look it all up! Now I know what tripped me up - I pictured the sides of the white bridge being 3-4 feet tall, and they are much taller than that, according to your photos. Thank you again :)

Of course what we really need is someone who is visiting to go stand beside that pole and beside the side wall :-) Or even better take a measuring tape and report back... ;-)

Figure that Disney would have to build anything with ADA compliance. This would take the width of most mobility devices. I'm sure the width is able to accommodate anything (well maybe not a double wide stroller!)

Just returned from Spring Break trip. The Grand Floridian Walkway to Magic Kingdom accommodates ECVs. The white bridge is very large. ECVs and double strollers can easily fit on either side of the post in the middle. I rented an ECV and took the pathway to/from the MK every single day. It's especially nice at night, when lines for the boat/monorail are long. The walkway is beautiful.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!