New York Marathon 2021

Z-Knight

DIS Veteran
50th anniversary of the New York Marathon - November 2021

Technically this will be the 50th running of the marathon (2 canceled in history: Sandy Storm, Covid Storm), but would have been the 52nd anniversary of the start of the NYC marathon

I'm in for this one - when I get my complimentary entry from the 2020 one being canceled - who else?

Last edited:
It's hard for me to think about this right now as I sit here sidelined waiting for an MRI on my neck. My one fear is the day they say "No more running". Otherwise, I'm in for 2021. I'm not getting any younger, and my desire to train for marathon-length races may decline. Besides, the sooner I do NY, the sooner I can move on to Chicago, Berlin, London, Tokyo ;)

It's hard for me to think about this right now as I sit here sidelined waiting for an MRI on my neck. My one fear is the day they say "No more running". Otherwise, I'm in for 2021. I'm not getting any younger, and my desire to train for marathon-length races may decline. Besides, the sooner I do NY, the sooner I can move on to Chicago, Berlin, London, Tokyo ;)
I feel for you...I had a pinched nerve in C6/7 and had to have a neck disc replacement (using Mobi-C disc). That surgery was about 10 weeks before I had to run the Disneyland paris 36k challenge and like 12 weeks before my Athens marathon and 6 months before 3rd Dopey. All of those races were my worst times ever - but I finished them so I count that as success. The neck surgery was 2 years ago and I am still not back in shape - went from running 48 min 10k to running 57 min 10k now. It is a slooooowwwww road back for me, but I wish you more luck depending on what you have to have done. Hopefully MRI doesn't show anything bad, but there is still running after even if it did, but it won't.

Following this thread, but I will defer to 2023. I will miss the 50th but I will also skip the stress of not knowing whether the 2021 race is on and if I can travel to it from Canada. Good luck to you!

how's everyone doing? I know some are preparing for their virtual runs - so good luck with that. I hope that my registration from this year will get me into the race in 2021 - I'm scared that with new people being added to the pool I won't get that spot for the 50th anniversary race. ding dang.

So they are inching ever.... so..... slowly.... forward. Today got the email saying we will be asked to list our 2 choices (out of 4: 2021, 2022, 2023, refund). BUT they still haven't decided on a field size AND they won't notify people of their outcome til June.

This will drag out interminably, and I guess I better keep training as though I'm going to do it. I'm not getting any younger and my motivation for doing a marathon is unlikely to increase, so part of me hopes to get in for this year. The only downside is that I would miss my nephew's wedding in Hawaii.

I am so glad that I was able to run this in 2019. It is absolutely worth all of these delays, but only if there will be a full crowd and expo. The expo was amazing, and the crowd along the course was better than any that I have ever experienced for a marathon.

New York is saying proof of vaccine or negative test may be required in 2021. I think we are going to see a lot of that in the big fall races but if it lets them happen I'm fine with it. Already signed up for one race (PTRR) saying they are likely doing this.

I am debating which of 2022 or 2023 is my first choice.
I want the most normal - true NYC experience as possible, with crowds, expo and weekend activities. 2020 was perfect for my teens but 2022 or 2023 will be equally difficult or impossible for them with regards to missing school to travel. 2023 is the safest in terms of the event being back but what about my running shape 943 days from now? And pros and cons for one of these two years?

ETA: Found one... 2022 is likely to be the second choice for all the 2021. If someone would try the lottery to join me, their chances would probably be better for 2023.

I am debating which of 2022 or 2023 is my first choice.
I want the most normal - true NYC experience as possible, with crowds, expo and weekend activities. 2020 was perfect for my teens but 2022 or 2023 will be equally difficult or impossible for them with regards to missing school to travel. 2023 is the safest in terms of the event being back but what about my running shape 943 days from now? And pros and cons for one of these two years?

ETA: Found one... 2022 is likely to be the second choice for all the 2021. If someone would try the lottery to join me, their chances would probably be better for 2023.

Yeah there is a good chance 2021 will be modified in some form (smaller field, spectator restrictions, vaccine requirements, etc.) so 2022 will be most likely the first normal race which will make it very popular. If you have others that need to go through lottery then yeah 2023 will be it and get started on that 943 training plan. Plenty of time to get ready.

I’m leaning toward 2023 because I lost a lot of fitness this past year, to the point that I don’t think I’d be marathon-ready this November. I’m happy that it looks like the race will go on nonetheless.

I’m leaning toward 2023 because I lost a lot of fitness this past year, to the point that I don’t think I’d be marathon-ready this November. I’m happy that it looks like the race will go on nonetheless.
you and me both...ughh...I'm a slug. Though hoping to still do 2021

Wife and I put 2021 as our first choice. We want to run the 50th, so hoping we get in.

As for spectators, I am not sure the city can really control that. People line the streets along where they live to cheer the runners on. No way they could control that effectively.

My guess is NYRR is going to see how many people choose 2021, and if that number seems manageable, they will take it to the city to see if they can run with that field size. Things will look a lot different in two months when NYRR announces numbers for the race. With the way vaccine distribution is currently going in the US, anyone that wants a vaccine will probably have one in the next couple of months. That alone might allow them to run with more runners than we think.

Currently NYRR are holding races in Central Park that top out at 500 people. Those used to be 5,000-8,000 people events. With the staggered starts it is no where near the same race experience.

I know a lot can change between now and November but it takes a lot for the city of NY to shut down 26.2 miles of roadway for a race. I think it will be really hard for NYRR to pull this off with a smaller field due to the financial constraints. I can see them changing the course with a smaller field, to have less bridge/road closures which results in less money they have to pay the NYPD in OT for this event.

fyi, just announced

New York City Marathon to return on Nov. 7 with a field of 33,000 runners

also, this is interesting... not sure i believe it because we haven't been notified of confirmation yet

Screenshot_20210517-123752_Facebook.jpg

makes it sound like if you selected 2021 then you have been selected.... i hope

btw, CONFIRMATION of guaranteed entries, per NYC marathon:

It’s official! Together with city and state government officials, we’re excited to announce that, on November 7, 2021, 33,000 people will run the #TCSNYCMarathon! And we’re especially happy to announce that this field size means that every runner with a guaranteed entry who requested to run the marathon in 2021 will be able to do so! We can't wait to see runners at the start line, welcome back our amazing volunteers, congratulate everyone at the finish line in Central Park, and celebrate our city's resilience at every point through all five boroughs. In short, the 50th running of the New York City Marathon is on!

But your registration isn’t finalized just yet! By May 20, every runner with a guaranteed entry to a future marathon who submitted preferences during our resolution process earlier this spring, will receive an email with more details on how to complete your registration. In the meantime, learn more by checking out our updated FAQs: https://bit.ly/3eU9sTq

FYI, I believe starting the 14th... ie Thursday.. we should get access to our bib info online. like seeing which waves we are in, etc.

Im going to be in the last wave #5 that actually starts at 12 noon. Kind of wish i knew about that wave starting so late because I'm on the 8am transportation.

What also sucks is there now a 13:45 mile oer minute pace requirement based on last person. Being in the last wave that will likely still mean that will be my required pace but i currently can barely sniff 15 min pace. In the past this race had a 8 hour time limit to finish... now you have to do it in 6 or less, or you get removed from course. sigh, i had high hopes, but i got chubby so this sucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter