Newport Bay tips?

markpsych

DIS Veteran
Hi all,
Long time no see! :wave2:
We booked a short break for the end of November, pre-covid.
So now have the Newport Bay on offer due to the Davy Crockett being closed.
Isolation on return won't be ideal, so we're hoping things will change before then, but also hoping people can share some tips for the Newport Bay to help us make the most of it if we do still go?
We've been to DLP countless times, but always stayed at the Davy Crocket, so no experience of the hotels on site.
The Newport wouldn't have been my first choice, and reviews are mixed, but some some people obviously love it!

Thanks

How long are you staying and what do you normally enjoy about Davy Crockett?

And probably by November the regulations about isolation have changed at least once, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has changed several times before you arrive.

Hi,
Just 3 nights this time.
We're a large family, so the DCR was perfect, as we always drove, and you could make your own meals, etc.
Otherwise, it's just a very nice, tranquil setting.
The children are older now, so not so such much of an issue, and we've got half board with the offer + breakfast which we haven't had at the DCR for years.
They will also give us 2 rooms at the Newport, in replacement for the 1 DCR cabin, with no extra charge which is a bonus.

Hi all,
Long time no see! :wave2:
We booked a short break for the end of November, pre-covid.
So now have the Newport Bay on offer due to the Davy Crockett being closed.
Isolation on return won't be ideal, so we're hoping things will change before then, but also hoping people can share some tips for the Newport Bay to help us make the most of it if we do still go?
We've been to DLP countless times, but always stayed at the Davy Crocket, so no experience of the hotels on site.
The Newport wouldn't have been my first choice, and reviews are mixed, but some some people obviously love it!

Thanks
Obvious number 1 "tip" is walk to the parks - so much quicker than the buses.
Also again probably known, make the most of.your 4 free drinks per person you can get from the machines in the hotel - tea, coffee, hot chocolate.
The theming is beautiful, it really is a lovely hotel.
Have an amazing time, I'm also going in Oct as the original hotel was Cheyenne which is now shut during our stay

Thanks Tink, that's reassuring.
We'll definitely be walking! Can you walk down both sides of the lake from hotel, and is that 4 cups of coffee per day or per stay!

Yes you can walk both sides of the lake, but one way is shorter and the other is longer :)
I have stayed at NPB twice and both loved my stays there.
I find reviews of hotels always hard, because you do not know what the writer was expecting. I do think that NPB creates high expectations because of the high prices they charge.

So we've just called up to pay the balance, and after reiterating that the DCR was closed, and what a great upgrade they could offer us via the Newport, they then informed us that there was no availability for our dates, end of November :sad2:
We can call periodically if we want to check for availability. Otherwise it's cancel or stay at the Santa Fe.

So we've just called up to pay the balance, and after reiterating that the DCR was closed, and what a great upgrade they could offer us via the Newport, they then informed us that there was no availability for our dates, end of November :sad2:
We can call periodically if we want to check for availability. Otherwise it's cancel or stay at the Santa Fe.
That is terrible, do not offer something if you cannot give it. I'm sorry :(
I wonder, when you would make a new booking online for NPB on your desired dates, would you then get availability?

For what it's worth, I stay at Santa Fe and Cheyenne most of the time, and it's fine place to just sleep.

That is terrible, do not offer something if you cannot give it. I'm sorry :(

Thank you Karen those were my thoughts exactly.
NPB versus Santa Fe certainly doesn't feel like an equitable offer, particularly if you're forced to take the latter.

You'd think they'd make a note of your preference too, and contact you rather than expecting you to phone periodically.

Good old DLP customer service lol :upsidedow

So if anyone find themselves in a similar position, best advice is to just keep checking the website, as opposed to phoning.

I checked the website routinely, and saw availability come and go very quickly once over the weekend when the call centre was closed.

However, there was availability first thing this morning, so we were on the phone at 9am and managed to get a couple of superior lakeside rooms.

Relieved :)

Oh, that's great! :) I'm happy for you!

Out of curiosity, 2 questions: Which time in November are you looking for? I still have to decide when to do a Christmas trip ;-) and second, how were the waiting times on the phone?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!