News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't take this as gospel yet. I was told seasonal by a source I trust. I am trying to get that confirmed.
I really hope you are correct, because I really like that area.

The thought of CM's being told that it will close permanently in the article makes it seem more real.

News

BREAKING: Rafiki's Planet Watch at Disney's Animal Kingdom to Close in October!

This is a permanent closure now, and will NOT be seasonal.

FWIF Kenny the Pirate also reporting this is a permanent closure. https://www.kennythepirate.com/2018...nd-conservation-station-to-close-permanently/

I will say, when we visited in February there were very few people there. On the train ride both to and from we were the only family in out train car and the others were similar.

I really hope you are correct, because I really like that area.

The thought of CM's being told that it will close permanently in the article makes it seem more real.

Hopefully we can get some confirmation either way for sure. I wasn't planning to go over there this time but we may have to just because we haven't spend a lot of time over there.

Wow that escalated quickly.

giphy.gif

I know it wasn't on everyone's "must do" list but that is a pretty good size chunk of land to take out of commission, not to mention closing the train .... were they to put in something new it could be quite sizable

I'm glad that I got to see the Disney Goats before they went away forever... I hope they do something with the area in the future and that all of the animals will still have homes.

Regarding Rafiki's Planet Watch

The location will close permanently October 21st.

Characters that meet there (Rafiki and Doc) will end September 29th.

Hopefully this means they have plans for the area in general. It's a lot of land it could open up. And if it's gone, hopefully that means Dinosaur is safe for a little longer.

They make a good point about the gift shops. I don't understand why they are moving away from highly themed immersive gift shops. I'm not much of a souvenir shopper anyway, but taking all this stuff out makes me want to spend time there even less.
Yeah, I feel the same. I hate the utilitarian look, especially in the parks. It doesn't help that the merchandise selection seemed terrible last week too.

I'm disappointed because I liked the educational aspect, and my kids enjoyed the train ride. I live in a rural area so petting some goats isn't exactly a rare thing but my kids loved doing it just as much there as at home. It was a nice, slower area to wind down for a bit. :(

agree ... and am fearful that those types of areas are becoming fewer and fewer

The only thing I find it helps is my wallet! We were there in Jan and went to World of Disney store twice and didn't spend a dime. That never happens for us.

that's true - this past trip we spent a little there on some snacks to bring home to people watching our pets and an ornament and magnet but not a ton. And the kids weren't really super excited about the stuff there - much more into stuff at Mouse Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!