News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I feel the same. I hate the utilitarian look, especially in the parks. It doesn't help that the merchandise selection seemed terrible last week too.

Yeah and I don't know if it's just because I'm older.... or because I'm not a big "stuff" person... just wasn't all that impressed with the merch last year. I wanted to buy a mug or a shirt, but either I just didn't love them or they seemed insanely expensive. I didn't bring a single thing home (which I'm OK with) -- but I just remember when I was younger the shops were a little bit more of a whimsical experience. Now, meh.

News

The Wreck it Ralph playground is apparently being put back together

https://twitter.com/wdwnt/status/1043165838130532358?s=21
Where is this actually at? I wasn't looking for it, but didn't see anything that looked like a playground last week.

Looks like a standard city playground, nothing special. My daughter loves playgrounds, but I wouldn't want to waste our time in Epcot on a PG just like something she could do here, especially one out in the sun. Especially since there is one inside Mission Space that has AC.

Where is this actually at? I wasn't looking for it, but didn't see anything that looked like a playground last week.

Looks like a standard city playground, nothing special. My daughter loves playgrounds, but I wouldn't want to waste our time in Epcot on a PG just like something she could do here, especially one out in the sun. Especially since there is one inside Mission Space that has AC.
Right outside Innoventions.

I am guessing that attendance has drastically down down likely due to SWGE & MK50th and the increased cost of a WDW vacation which is hurting most <$100k families from being able to attend as much/if at all, therefore WDW is closing anything the top people at WDW view doesn't make them money.

In 2015 we didn't make time for the train or the Rafiki petting zoo land and for our 2020 trip it is not on the to do list either.

The odd thing are the reports posted on here from WDWNT of things being changed/removed in the parks that dont need to be. There is some serious miscommunication or extreme lack of project planning. All the little things and the money to change/remove that stuff adds up quickly.

The only way I'm ok with rafiki's closing is if it's to make way for a new land.

Well, based on that they closed Pocahontas and her forest friends in 2008, and Avatar opened in 2017, and Pleasure Island closed in 2008 and the replacement (The Edison) opened in 2017 - you are looking at 2027 for the replacement.

I think it's a shame as I really liked Rafiki's, but we rarely got over there because of the length of time to get there via the train. I can't even remember the last time we went over even though we love watching the vet procedures. It will be missed, but not in my top 25 things that will be missed.

That show has a lot more problems than the loss of these characters, but it will NOT make it better. They really need to revisit this show.

I really like it - love the boats with the actors, the animal floats and, especially, the music ... but it's definitely not perfect, a lot of the water screen images aren't the clearest

but like you said, just taking away from it won't improve it

This is a show I haven't seen and really don't have any desire to. Last year when we were at AK RoL was playing while we walked around. We stood and watched for a couple of minutes but then moved on.

It's definitely different for a night time show. I really like the music and the message of it and find some of the parts quite beautiful. I just think it fits the park quite well.

It's not perfect but I like it quite a bit and like that it is different from the other night time shows ... but also get why some people don't like it

This is a show I haven't seen and really don't have any desire to. Last year when we were at AK RoL was playing while we walked around. We stood and watched for a couple of minutes but then moved on.

Hard to judge something you haven't really seen, though.

I really like it - love the boats with the actors, the animal floats and, especially, the music ... but it's definitely not perfect, a lot of the water screen images aren't the clearest

but like you said, just taking away from it won't improve it

We went the one time, and were nodding off during the show. It was last November and the benches were super-hot from the heat of the day, so that didn't help, but if your nighttime show can't keep me awake it's probably not one that I'm going to run back to often.

I know it wasn't on everyone's "must do" list but that is a pretty good size chunk of land to take out of commission, not to mention closing the train .... were they to put in something new it could be quite sizable

I hope they put something new out there as well. What's the area people talk about wishing they added to Animal Kingdom every few months here? A South America area maybe? I feel like it has been discussed as a replacement for the dinoland disaster, but maybe out where planet watch is currently would be a good area. We went out there the first time we visited AK, but have only gone out one other time since when with a family that had a toddler. It won't be something I miss a whole lot, but I do hope they re-purpose all of that space.

Hard to judge something you haven't really seen, though.

I agree. I will say we tried watching it online (which I know is not the same) and it just didn't draw us in. We attempted to watch it standing beside the water somewhere in Asia and again, it just wasn't for us.

I believe others will like it, it's just not a show that we want to take time for when there are other options of things to do in the park.

It's definitely different for a night time show. I really like the music and the message of it and find some of the parts quite beautiful. I just think it fits the park quite well.

It's not perfect but I like it quite a bit and like that it is different from the other night time shows ... but also get why some people don't like it

I'm one of the few that loves RoL...I know why other people don't like it, but I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack and a good message and overall it really brings everything together thematically at AK to me. Having said that, it could use improved quality on the projections - especially the ones that are farther away at the opposite end of the lake.

I hope they put something new out there as well. What's the area people talk about wishing they added to Animal Kingdom every few months here? A South America area maybe? I feel like it has been discussed as a replacement for the dinoland disaster, but maybe out where planet watch is currently would be a good area. We went out there the first time we visited AK, but have only gone out one other time since when with a family that had a toddler. It won't be something I miss a whole lot, but I do hope they re-purpose all of that space.

well, South America and Australia seem to be the two areas of interest/rumors for being added to Animal Kingdom

Part of the South America idea was that there are a lot of Dino Dig sites in South America so you could sort of tie the two together (plus if you include Indiana Jones you have all those wonderful snakes in South America he would love!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!