News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm one of the few that loves RoL...I know why other people don't like it, but I'm a sucker for a good soundtrack and a good message and overall it really brings everything together thematically at AK to me. Having said that, it could use improved quality on the projections - especially the ones that are farther away at the opposite end of the lake.

pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about it

Also, the flow feels a little off as the music high notes/best part of the music is sort of in the middle not the end ... not to mention the fire effect doesn't work all the time (it didn't when we last went and makes it feel much less like a finale when it isnt' working)

Regarding Rafiki's Planet Watch

The location will close permanently October 21st.

Characters that meet there (Rafiki and Doc) will end September 29th.
Bummer.
We enjoyed that area. I have a lot of great memories of that petting zoo and the "quiet" meet and greets there.

But .. I am surprised it lasted really. Having a petting zoo at AK is a great idea, but I just feel a lot of people just skipped this attraction or was a "one and done" deal.
- It is tucked away and easy to miss
- It isn't exciting for most guests - it's a train ride that takes you to an animal hospital (that rarely has animals in it) and a petting zoo.

I am sure a lot of people take that train ride and end up being disappointed. The train ride has a "little" behind the scenes info .. but nothing to really see besides a building or two and the vet hospital rarely has action going on.

But I always liked it because it was quiet .. tucked away .. relaxing - AK's version of Tom Sawyer's Island.

But a permanent closure seems like they have plans for the area .. good. AK is still the low man on the totem pole in number of "ride" attractions. That is a huge chunk of area that the can expand into .. (Australia zone? )

well, South America and Australia seem to be the two areas of interest/rumors for being added to Animal Kingdom

Part of the South America idea was that there are a lot of Dino Dig sites in South America so you could sort of tie the two together (plus if you include Indiana Jones you have all those wonderful snakes in South America he would love!)
Oh please, oh please not another 300 posts about how Indiana Jones does not fit into AK....puhlease!! I am just thrilled we don't have rabid zootopia posts right now

I hope they put something new out there as well. What's the area people talk about wishing they added to Animal Kingdom every few months here? A South America area maybe? I feel like it has been discussed as a replacement for the dinoland disaster, but maybe out where planet watch is currently would be a good area. We went out there the first time we visited AK, but have only gone out one other time since when with a family that had a toddler. It won't be something I miss a whole lot, but I do hope they re-purpose all of that space.

I think that rumored Jungle Book ride for an Epcot India pavilion would be a MUCH better fit for the Animal Kingdom. And it would fit nicely with a signature Indian restaurant. (I would still like an Indian pavilion for Epcot, but I think they should be more about celebrating the people and culture there, and talking animals in AK.)

South America deserves some robust representation too.

It just seems like an odd time to make cuts to AK -- when (despite the popularity of Pandora), it probably is still a half-day park for most. We are going to try and stretch it to a full day, but that is just to see Rivers of Light.

Hopefully some new land shows up there, but doubt it would be anytime soon unless they just decide to do something quick and dirty and put another restaurant and gift shop there.

We easily put a whole day in at AK and we are not what I would call 'animal' people normally. Lots to see and do there for our family.
Oh easily .. any park you can spend a whole day or more in .. ESPECIALLY if you are a first-time guest.
Each family has their own pace -- I can spend a whole day in DHS (even before TSL) .. where most lately have not.

But I think that of all the parks it has the least amount of attractions ... even if you count the walking trails as an attraction (which probably most don't).

For a lot of the "ride only" people -- the park is a quick day, especially when two of the rides are skippable "kiddie" rides. More ride attractions help give the park more fast pass availability and should (in theory) keep standby lines down as people are distributed among more things. One of the main reasons that Flight of Passage wait times are so high is simply because there is only 5 or 6 other rides to wait in a line for at that park.

The more the other parks can get near the level of attractions that MK has, the better the FP+ system works - no tiering needed!

That's why it shocks me they just suddenly shut down an attraction, but obviously they must have some plans (one would hope) and this isn't just a cost-saving measure. I mean . .if they want to cut costs, shut down the dumb carnival games in Hester and Chester's . .does anyone actually play those?

Oh easily .. any park you can spend a whole day or more in .. ESPECIALLY if you are a first-time guest.
Each family has their own pace -- I can spend a whole day in DHS (even before TSL) .. where most lately have not.

But I think that of all the parks it has the least amount of attractions ... even if you count the walking trails as an attraction (which probably most don't).

For a lot of the "ride only" people -- the park is a quick day, especially when two of the rides are skippable "kiddie" rides. More ride attractions help give the park more fast pass availability and should (in theory) keep standby lines down as people are distributed among more things. One of the main reasons that Flight of Passage wait times are so high is simply because there is only 5 or 6 other rides to wait in a line for at that park.

The more the other parks can get near the level of attractions that MK has, the better the FP+ system works - no tiering needed!

That's why it shocks me they just suddenly shut down an attraction, but obviously they must have some plans (one would hope) and this isn't just a cost-saving measure. I mean . .if they want to cut costs, shut down the dumb carnival games in Hester and Chester's . .does anyone actually play those?
Yes, I think part of the 'full day' park for us is that I'm learning to slow down and let my 9yo do things she enjoys at AK. I've always been a ride...attraction...show....ride... kinda person. This last time at AK we visited Rafiki's for the first time; enjoyed many of the children's stations; sat in Pandora and people watched while enjoying a cold drink and spent time with her digging contentedly in the boneyard. It was a nice treat to take the day at a slower pace while still filling it with all the rides, shows and attractions we both enjoy.

I sure will miss the rainforest rooms; dark, air conditioned and super quiet. Is there a better place in all of WDW to close your eyes and take a quick 5 minute power snooze?

One time I wanted to extend that 5-minute snooze to 10 by staying in there for a second go-round, but a CM knocked on my door and said I had to leave. There wasn't any line and I'm still not sure how she knew I had already been in there. I didn't think anyone would be watching them so closely.

Ah, but don't forget! Even if it's a small amount of guests that play those games, it's all extra revenue for Disney.

I think the author hits on one point, but at the same time he says it is because it was the same old, same old, and relying on the old ... but the people were upset at the Last Jedi because of how much it changed and how it tried to bring a new angle to things

Yeah, but they did it back to front. People *want* the last trilogy to follow the rough lines of the previous six, and for the three films in the trilogy to feel of a piece. Whereas the secondary films have room to be more daring, and that's where I think people would be more tolerant. It'd be like a ordering mac and cheese from a restaurant and getting some crazy cocoa/espresso infused spicy noodle dish, meanwhile the kimchi was just boiled cabbage with a splash of watered down siracha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter