Next Year's Camper (maybe) and more!

Wow - that's quite a rig. Have you looked into what states you want to enter and what the state laws are regarding total length? I'm not versed in it, but that set-up might put you close to 68-70 feet in total length, which very well may exceed the allowable length in some states. Just something to consider.

What? What’s that you say? I can’t here you.

Our big yearly trip is from IL to Fl. If we get this, we will be all over the great USA. And Canada.

We are leaning more towards the 42 ft plan and that includes the hitch. So technically it’s only 39 ft.

Wow - that's quite a rig. Have you looked into what states you want to enter and what the state laws are regarding total length? I'm not versed in it, but that set-up might put you close to 68-70 feet in total length, which very well may exceed the allowable length in some states. Just something to consider.

@ilovedisneymm I think even at that length you'll love it. however, I think you should be prepared to find that you wont fit everywhere you would like to. But you will love it and having been at the 40' level for 5 years now, its great.

@Boomer1

We would love to have a bunkhouse with double slide in front. One of the options would be to make both sides slide. It is an additional $4,000 so we need to really think about that one. We have yet to make the trip over to see their units. This may be an after harvest tour.

You never know, Boomer. We need a bunkhouse with a double slide.....you are looking to possibly downsize. We all could roll into the fort in January with one trailer and roll out with another. hahahaha! Just kidding.

Yes, the washer and dryer would be a dream to have in the camper.

@jbrostek we are now looking at the 42 ft floor plan and that measurements include the hitch. So I can take 3 feet off, I assume for that.
Yes, I guess you never know. We are looking forward to meeting you and your family. I can see the “hubbies” getting along well, farmers love to talk about farming. I know we looked at a lot of RVs before making our choice. When you drop by feel free to take a little tour.
DH was lamenting today about how far off January is and how much work he has to do. I reminded him how fast the summer has passed, we started blueberry harvest last week.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/

https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

I know of one case this year where a fella in Kentucky got stopped and fined for being over length.

Those "official" lengths are interesting. Especially Arizona. I wonder how many of those snow birds in and around Quartzite have trailers under 28.5 ft.

If you hang out on truck or RV forums you hear about people getting ticketed for length, weight, width, height and just about everything else. Racing around the country for as long as I did and seeing some VERY large rigs (including our 48 ft enclosed), no one I knew was ever ticketed for a length, weight or width violation. After I hung up the helmet a few years ago, the team owner needed something he could haul 4 cars in, a shop, spares, tires, fuel and someplace for 6 to stay, so he sold the toy hauler and the 48 ft enclosed and bought this. 40 ft Renegade toter and 40 ft stacker trailer. 84 ft combined with the hitch. He still hauls it from Denver to Virginia and Minnesota to Birmingham. Never been pulled over.

toter.jpg

j

Those "official" lengths are interesting. Especially Arizona. I wonder how many of those snow birds in and around Quartzite have trailers under 28.5 ft.

j

This is precisely why I find the laws so confusing. I have seen the same lists as those posted above, but some seem so absurd. Michigan reads 28.5 as well - and I spend a week+ in MI with our 35 footer every summer. And are you telling me that my friends who bought and registered their 33 footer in MI have registered and illegal trailer? Something doesn’t add up!

I think most of the enforcement comes from things that look unsafe, guy with a 3500 towing fifth wheel, towing cargo trailer, towing golf cart kind of thing. The RV industry has been for the most part left alone to police itself, but in recent years people are getting ridiculous with I want to take my whole house and life on a weekend camping trip.

As far as the laws being confusing, yep as it is left to each state, and some of those laws probably go back 30/40 years when trailers only came in a 20 foot variety.

As for the fella that got ticketed in Kentucky, to the tune of $2300 dollars. He was somewhere about 81 feet long, towing fifth wheel and a trailer behind it. They also got him for double towing without proper license they also fined him for being over length. But his towing set up screamed look at me.

Most LEO's I have spoken with will not bother RV's if they look to be in compliance and safe.

Well Chris, that just might be applying to me. I want to take everything I can, cause when we go, we go! FL trips are usually 3 weeks from door to door. Three kids in tow always and sometimes the 4th and boyfriend that gives me 5 kids to feed and wash up. I NEED that washer and dryer in my life. Need it!

I read hubby all the comments so far. The man is a man of few words. His response to the possibly being too long in a few select states.

"You just go! You don't stop and ask. You just keep the speed limit, don't do anything stupid, and go."

Well Chris, that just might be applying to me. I want to take everything I can, cause when we go, we go! FL trips are usually 3 weeks from door to door. Three kids in tow always and sometimes the 4th and boyfriend that gives me 5 kids to feed and wash up. I NEED that washer and dryer in my life. Need it!

I read hubby all the comments so far. The man is a man of few words. His response to the possibly being too long in a few select states.

"You just go! You don't stop and ask. You just keep the speed limit, don't do anything stupid, and go."

See now I can see where you would pack a lot, you are gone for 3 weeks, the kids and all. But I know people that want to take the motorcycle, the UTV, the Golf cart, the boat, and have a 70 inch tv for outside and they are going camping for 2 days.

Hubby is a smart man.

They have some inventory now if you want to take a look. Prices aren't bad at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!