No car - okw or ssr?

ozliz

DIS Veteran
I’ve read plenty of OKW vs SSR threads but I’m missing one piece of information. While neither is good without a car, which one would you say is easier? We’re currently booked into SSR standard as that’s what I own but I might swap to preferred if that’s worth it. I’m not sure we could get OKW hospitality house category in peak season (Halloween to wine and dine race weekend) but might be able to get standard OKW at 7 months.

Also to clarify this is all studios and I’m actually hoping to get at least some nights elsewhere (maybe AKL savannah view for the non-park days) but I’m realistic about my options at 7 months at that time of year.

Yes both resorts are more spread out. Is a car needed, no. But if you are in a villa far from the hospitality house and want something quick a car is much faster than walking. It’s usually a 5-10 minute walk. When we are at WDW we enjoy the food and the more walking the better. Just remember the preferred section at SSR are the last 2 bus stops and early in the day they can be full by the time it gets to them.

At both resorts, you can get on any bus near your room, and they all stop near the front/hospitality house before leaving property. We just stayed at OKW, had a car, and never used it.

We have stayed at both without a car and had no issues. But we are rarely in a hurry to get anywhere.

Of the two, I'd pick SSR because you can walk over to Disney Springs. We usually go to DS at least 2 times in a 7 day stay, so having a destination within walking range would be handy.

I agree with Granny. We were at SSR in January for 2 weeks and although we did have a car we rarely used it. There is so much at Disney Springs that you really don' need a car unless you have other places you like to visit while there. We pretty much walked to Disney Springs everyday while there. Nice walk and lots of fun at Disney Springs.

If you like to dine at DS then go SSR, you can walk or take a boat over. As far as transportation to parks there is really no difference.

Have stayed at both resorts and prefer OKW but appreciate the closeness of DS to SSR and since I am a golfer, SSR has it's appeal. You mentioned you have a standard ressie at SSR which means no Congress Park or Springs, which means you need to have your walking shoes with you. I recently stayed in Carousel and it was the worse stay I have had on WDW property EVER. The room was fine, but I felt like if I was staying in Atlanta, Ga I would be closer to everything at WDW !!!

I’ve read plenty of OKW vs SSR threads but I’m missing one piece of information. While neither is good without a car, which one would you say is easier? We’re currently booked into SSR standard as that’s what I own but I might swap to preferred if that’s worth it. I’m not sure we could get OKW hospitality house category in peak season (Halloween to wine and dine race weekend) but might be able to get standard OKW at 7 months.

Also to clarify this is all studios and I’m actually hoping to get at least some nights elsewhere (maybe AKL savannah view for the non-park days) but I’m realistic about my options at 7 months at that time of year.
IMO OKW is more difficult than SSR sans automobile.

I've stayed at both often, SSR is our home resort. We never have a car, always fly in and use Disney transportation. I would say SSR is the easier to get around. Even if you are as far away as the Paddock area, there is a "shortcut bridge" to the main building.
There's also a a small concession bar/grill at the Paddock and Grandstand areas that make going to the main building not really necessary daily.

Thanks everyone. Good to know. Sounds like I will stick with SSR although if I can get near hospitality house I might swap to OKW just so that no one has to sleep on the pull out. Really annoying that they don’t have two real beds in any other studios - but that would be a whole different thread.

The last time I stayed at SSR I found it way too spread out to walk around easily. (Then again, we stayed with someone who was using a scooter and that tends to slow us down so that may have just been our perception.) I've stayed at OKW dozens of times without a car - although honestly we've always stayed within reasonable walking distance of Hospitality House (usually Miller Road area)

SSR is great but man, does it feel more spread out to me. Also, not for nothing, the pull-out at SSR is torture now. Haven't stayed at OKW in a couple years so no idea if it's the same, but I sure hope not.

We stayed at both. We had a car a both but didn’t use it to get around. We always use Disney Transportation. We love SSR closeness to DS. We stayed last time at Congress Park.

When at OKW we stayed right over the bridge right by HH. And then across from HH.

I found OKW much smaller than SSR. I think it depends at both resort where you stay.

We lucked out all three times to be in buildings that were convenient fo us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!