NO MASKS?

Removing shoes at airport security is a lot different to me than wearing a mask. Removing shoes is a quick precaution that takes a minute, wearing a mask through every minute of your day is a much bigger thing. I just don’t see people complying with mandated masks for the rest of their lives. Once the pandemic eases and spread isn’t as rapid, people will move on, just as they did after the Spanish Flu.

As a previous poster said, maybe they'll become normalized for wearing when actually sick, and I agree that some people will probably continue to choose to wear them longer than others and certain places might require them for longer, but forever? No.
From your lips to Gods ears! Im just saying im never saying never lol.

I think in one of Chapek's interviews, he mentioned that they were following CDC guidance on masks. So I suspect the masks will go when the CDC says they're no longer needed for the general population. The CDC will be looking at things like a long-term drop in new cases, serological testing results, amount of vaccine distributed, etc.

Last I checked, 11 vaccines are in Phase 3 trials. There's a small chance one of them could get US emergency approval by the end of the year. But more likely, we'll have one or more vaccines available by next spring. It'll probably take another 6-12 months to manufacture and distribute the vaccine on a large enough scale to have a meaningful effect on herd immunity.

So I'm guessing early 2022ish is when the mask requirement will be dropped. I also expect visitors will start returning gradually over 2021 as people get vaccinated and feel more comfortable with traveling, and states/countries start relaxing travel restrictions.

Of course, I'm using my magic 8-ball to figure this all out. Actual results may vary. 🎱

Question: what about gaiter masks with ear loops? Are they allowed? I got a super cute one that looks like corpse bride or something along those lines and had planned to wear it for our Halloween trip. Is that a no go?

Not even with ear loops? And it’s not loose either. What about in resorts? Out and about like the Boardwalk or Disney Springs? Does it matter there? I’d never even heard of the word gaiter until I read this post. I had to Google it to find out what that meant. That’s when I realized that was one of my masks but it had ear loops. And I was reading several articles out there about Disney policies and they seemed to suggest that as long as they had ear loops they were OK. Is that wrong?

Not even with ear loops? And it’s not loose either. What about in resorts? Out and about like the Boardwalk or Disney Springs? Does it matter there? I’d never even heard of the word gaiter until I read this post. I had to Google it to find out what that meant. That’s when I realized that was one of my masks but it had ear loops. And I was reading several articles out there about Disney policies and they seemed to suggest that as long as they had ear loops they were OK. Is that wrong?

The Disney website specifically says no gaiters. They are not effective face coverings.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/#drawer-card-faceCoverings534492

I'm secretly hoping that now that we all own masks and wearing them has been normalized, we will adopt wearing them while sick like many nations in Asia. Would do a lot to stop the spread of cold and flu.

My kiddo has done that for years. She has allergies that lead to upper respiratory infections and also picks up sore throat bugs a few times a year. If she stayed home every time she had a cough or a sore throat she would have never graduated, much less with straight A's. So every time she was a little sick, she wore a mask to school and play rehearsals. She would stay home only when she was very sick.

I wonder if they will change attendance policies in the future, so kids don't have to go to school when they are sick.

The Disney website specifically says no gaiters. They are not effective face coverings.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/#drawer-card-faceCoveringsView attachment 534492
Correct. No gaiters at all, on any Disney property. If you’re wearing it at the resort, you will be asked to change into a regular mask. Even with ear loops, it’s still a gaiter and not allowed. It’s usually because the gaiters (even with ear loops) are only 1 layer thick. If your mask looks like a gaiter, the CMs are trained to ask you to change.

right. i meant both at the same time. will correct original post
Not to go too far down this rabbit hole, but there are tons of areas on property where you are unable to maintain 6 foot distance and masks are required. We have been numerous times since reopening and have been very thankful for the masks. It’s gotten to the point in Florida where really the only place we go, outside of our house, is Disney because we know it to be safe and everyone will be masked properly.

I know many of us have had it with masks. It's a crazy new expectation. I just do what is required of me when I go out. (always wear it in stores or indoors) however, I draw the line at wearing it outdoors. Fresh air, sunshine and no mask. I just couldn't wear a mask all day, outside at WDW. I'll hold off for awhile

even the cdc guidance was to do either distancing or masks. they NEVER said do both

Most of the time if you are outside and not close or crowded in with other people a mask isn’t really doing anything.

The problem at somewhere like Disney world is that you can’t really guarantee physical distancing so it’s safer just to keep the mask on.

i could see them start to relax the requirement at some point by limiting it to indoors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter