No more bags

Yes, call me a skeptic, but I can't see Disney going 'green' or trying to 'save the planet' unless it is going to greatly affect their bottom line!! They're all about the $$$'s and if it makes them look good in the process, bring it on!! I would not buy anything at Disney if I had to lug it around (even in other stores) and make it look like I had stolen them. How could anyone tell? You could easily lose your receipt! :confused3 Really can't see it happening, but knowing Disney---------------

In this area only the warehouse clubs, Aldi's and Lidl's make you use your bags.
You see, these places are more appropriate to make people bring their own bags than Disney Stores. I insist on having my Disney Store purchases in a Disney Store bag, and when I spend a lot, particularly during a sale, I expect them to provide me with a bag big enough to accommodate all my purchases. I refuse to use a non-Disney Store bag because it feels rather alien for me to use another store's bag when I shop there, whereas I don't have that problem in supermarkets or Costco. Strange, I know, but part of the magic of shopping in a Disney Store is to have a Disney Store bag in my hand after I buy something in there, and leave happy, safe in the knowledge that they made my day. 'Going green' is just taking the magic out of shopping in a Disney Store and is feeding into the piety of oceanhuggers, while customers suffer.

I have a large collection of re-usable Disney bags and an even bigger collection of re-usable bags in all sizes and styles. I have a wine bag with dividers. I have several insulated bags. I have some that have cardboard inserts so they are more sturdy. There are ALWAYS bags in my car and I usually have one folded up in my jacket pocket...

I don't know what on earth this idea of NOT bringing bags when you are buying things is all about.

Oh and I have one of those super huge Disney bags - it's rectangular and long so it is actually the perfect size to disguise the 30-roll package of toilet paper inside, LOL so it's in our bathroom being functional, I can see why you don't SHOP using it!

I have a large collection of re-usable Disney bags and an even bigger collection of re-usable bags in all sizes and styles. I have a wine bag with dividers. I have several insulated bags. I have some that have cardboard inserts so they are more sturdy. There are ALWAYS bags in my car and I usually have one folded up in my jacket pocket...

I don't know what on earth this idea of NOT bringing bags when you are buying things is all about.

Oh and I have one of those super huge Disney bags - it's rectangular and long so it is actually the perfect size to disguise the 30-roll package of toilet paper inside, LOL so it's in our bathroom being functional, I can see why you don't SHOP using it!
Because my life doesn't revolve around where I've put and whether I have reusable bags?

And I know no one else's life revolves around that as well, but gathering bags and moving them place to place is just more time and energy than I care to expend. Yes, I have some bags. And yes, they sometimes end up back in the car. Sometimes they don't . I can see 3 bags from where I sit, that have just never made it back. Not one of them would fit in any packet. And even if one did, if I wasn't wearing that particular jacket, well, once again, the bag wouldn't make it back to the car or into the store.

Basically, it isn't a priority and I don't see making it one, any time soon.

There is no place around me that requires a reusable bag.

The ability to use a shopping cart also reduces the need for a bag at all should I choose not to bag one or more of my items.

It's about practicality. I'm more likely going to bring my own bags to a supermarket, IKEA or Costco because I can transfer the bags straight to the cart from my car and won't have to walk around the store with those bags in my hand, but when I go to a shopping mall, I can't do that, and it would be rather silly to do it for just one store in the mall since others still give out bags, not to mention that it would be rather hypocritical if I went "hey, look at me, I'm saving the planet with my reusable Disney bag!" while still accepting purchases in plastic bags from other stores, and that links into a massive pet peeve of mine. I get angry inside every time someone glosses over 'going green', but then goes into, let's say Journeys, and buys a brand new pair of Disney Vans, and then afterwards, walks out with it in a (you've guessed it) plastic bag. That is the very definition of hypocritical virtue-signalling.

It's second nature to me! Anytime I leave the house to go shopping, I take a reusable bag. :)

What about when you are already out of the house and decide you need to make a quick stop for something? Do you always carry a bag just in case? I carry a small purse just big enough for my phone and wallet and my clothes don’t have pockets. Where would I carry the bag?

There is a huge difference in a planned shopping trip and a spontaneous shopping trip. I can understand being prepared with bags for a planned trip, but not a spontaneous trip.

I think I am going to ask my friends if they have any Universal bags lying around. Those would be perfect to use while shopping at Disney :scratchin

What about when you are already out of the house and decide you need to make a quick stop for something? Do you always carry a bag just in case? I carry a small purse just big enough for my phone and wallet and my clothes don’t have pockets. Where would I carry the bag?

There is a huge difference in a planned shopping trip and a spontaneous shopping trip. I can understand being prepared with bags for a planned trip, but not a spontaneous trip.

I think I am going to ask my friends if they have any Universal bags lying around. Those would be perfect to use while shopping at Disney :scratchin

If I make an unscheduled stop like at Target, I pay for a plastic bag. Although honestly if I pop in, it's usually for something small and I just carry it. I think I've mentioned previously that I've walked home more than once with a bottle of wine in my hand.

I have a small purse too, I put it in the bag and the bag over my shoulder. I have all different kinds of shopping bags, some cuter than others.

We live in the city, walk or take CTA everywhere. You kind of have to plan to go shopping because you need to get there. It's not like I spontaneously just pop in clothing stores because it takes an effort to get to one.

We do have a car now, so there are always bags in the trunk if we happen to be driving, but traffic and parking makes driving for non-grocery shopping quite rare.

That's the thing. Planning trips to Disney Stores isn't like planning a trip to Costco or supermarkets because when people shop in these type of stores, they're there to buy food and essential household items, so they'll make sure they bring enough bags. Granted, supermarkets still offer the convenience of bags - plastic (SU or reusable, depending on area) or paper, and outside of ordinance areas, Aldi and Lidl charge a benign fee for them. However, Costco has never provided bags from the onset, due to being a wholesale warehouse, so the majority who don't have their own bags would just simply cart them out. Disney Stores are neither warehouse clubs nor supermarkets (they're obviously stores that sell official merchandise), and because most are situated in malls or big cities like NYC, people will still need the convenience of a plastic bag, but the problem is that they're charging too much for a low-quality reusable bag that's prone to ripping apart, and is still often disposed of due to the quality of them, so they're unfairly profiting from such a bag that actually costs a huge fraction of a whole dollar to produce and is actually worse than the type of plastic bags they used that were still reusable and recyclable.
We live in the city, walk or take CTA everywhere. You kind of have to plan to go shopping because you need to get there. It's not like I spontaneously just pop in clothing stores because it takes an effort to get to one.
Getting there is just a small part of it. The biggest part is anticipating how many purchases you're going to make, and while that's not a problem for food shopping, shopping for anything else, particularly Disney merchandise, and especially during a sale, it's more difficult to predict, and even if you had the one reusable on you, chances are that if you suddenly decide to take advantage of special deals despite going in for just one thing, and your bag doesn't fit everything, you'd then have to purchase another bag, and 99c adds up a lot quicker than your city's ordinance minimum. And speaking of bag ordinances, I'm more in favour of charging ordinances than banning ordinances, though the majority, even San Francisco's, are literally just minimum plastic bag thickness laws (they're only bans on what the law defines as 'single-use' plastic) with fees rather than draconian bans like Kenya's that border on ecofascism, though as this isn't the place for politics, I digress.

That's the thing. Planning trips to Disney Stores isn't like planning a trip to Costco or supermarkets because when people shop in these type of stores, they're there to buy food and essential household items, so they'll make sure they bring enough bags. Granted, supermarkets still offer the convenience of bags - plastic (SU or reusable, depending on area) or paper, and outside of ordinance areas, Aldi and Lidl charge a benign fee for them. However, Costco has never provided bags from the onset, due to being a wholesale warehouse, so the majority who don't have their own bags would just simply cart them out. Disney Stores are neither warehouse clubs nor supermarkets (they're obviously stores that sell official merchandise), and because most are situated in malls or big cities like NYC, people will still need the convenience of a plastic bag, but the problem is that they're charging too much for a low-quality reusable bag that's prone to ripping apart, and is still often disposed of due to the quality of them, so they're unfairly profiting from such a bag that actually costs a huge fraction of a whole dollar to produce and is actually worse than the type of plastic bags they used that were still reusable and recyclable.

Getting there is just a small part of it. The biggest part is anticipating how many purchases you're going to make, and while that's not a problem for food shopping, shopping for anything else, particularly Disney merchandise, and especially during a sale, it's more difficult to predict, and even if you had the one reusable on you, chances are that if you suddenly decide to take advantage of special deals despite going in for just one thing, and your bag doesn't fit everything, you'd then have to purchase another bag, and 99c adds up a lot quicker than your city's ordinance minimum. And speaking of bag ordinances, I'm more in favour of charging ordinances than banning ordinances, though the majority, even San Francisco's, are literally just minimum plastic bag thickness laws (they're only bans on what the law defines as 'single-use' plastic) with fees rather than draconian bans like Kenya's that border on ecofascism, though as this isn't the place for politics, I digress.

What you quoted from me was my response to the question asked of me -what happens if I do spontaneous shopping and I explained I rarely do that, and why.

I don't know what to tell you, I have no problems with bringing a reusable bag (or two) to a Disney Store. You can pontificate all you like about it, but it won't change that fact. :)

What you quoted from me was my response to the question asked of me -what happens if I do spontaneous shopping and I explained I rarely do that, and why.

I don't know what to tell you, I have no problems with bringing a reusable bag (or two) to a Disney Store. You can pontificate all you like about it, but it won't change that fact. :)
Well, that's great if you can do it, but the point I'm trying to make is that not everyone is going to have that luxury. Again, I'm selective with bringing my own bags, because for me, it depends on practicality, since elsewhere, I'm not going to always have the bags or the means to carry them, which is why I still prefer the convenience, even if it requires a benign charge, though I often use the same bag to amalgamate smaller purchases in the event of charges, so at least I'm still doing something.

The idea of people walking around Disney with Harry Potter bags tickles me :thumbsup2

The idea of people walking around Disney with Harry Potter bags tickles me :thumbsup2
Imagine that!

Though from my personal experience, Universal's bags tend to be weaker than the ones used in the Disney Parks, though at least they have a size that isn't disproportionate for just one tee, which kind of proves the point that Disney Parks bags are roomy enough to accommodate more than just one tee. That's partially the reason why they're reducing, not eliminating them, because if CMs started to become more efficient by not keeping on issuing bags with every purchase, it'll encourage guests to fill up the bags until they need to ask for a new one, or buy the totes.

Imagine that!

Though from my personal experience, Universal's bags tend to be weaker than the ones used in the Disney Parks, though at least they have a size that isn't disproportionate for just one tee, which kind of proves the point that Disney Parks bags are roomy enough to accommodate more than just one tee. That's partially the reason why they're reducing, not eliminating them, because if CMs started to become more efficient by not keeping on issuing bags with every purchase, it'll encourage guests to fill up the bags until they need to ask for a new one, or buy the totes.

The Universal bags have always been strong enough to hold my purchases :confused3 But I haven't been to Disney in many a year so I can't really compare.

The Universal bags have always been strong enough to hold my purchases :confused3 But I haven't been to Disney in many a year so I can't really compare.
The only thing I don't like about Universal's bags is that awful smell they have, which could only be described as something like cucumbers and vinegar, for a lack of a better description. I find Disney's bags to be better because they can hold more, and I often reused them for laundry, which links into a point I'm about to make below.
Just back from DLR. Regular disposable bags galore. Never had to ask for one.
I guess it's either the CM who still has old habits or that they haven't implemented the 'per-request' basis yet, at least until they start to sell optional reusables at the point of sale throughout the park, which I know they've already done in WoD, but contrary to what some sites have reported, the plastic bags will still be available, as much as they'll start to encourage bag reduction, so perhaps nothing else major is going to happen until at least Earth Day, which is what I reckon would be the case.

I really don't like calling plastic bags 'disposable' because, contrary to what anti-plastic do-gooders want people to believe, they are actually reusable in one way or the other, and I've known people to reuse them for various things, even for shopping again. Also, I've seen a lot of upcycling happen with the bags, with many pieces of art being made out of them, and particularly when the Disney Stores had the comic strip design on the bags, they were extremely popular with upcyclers due to the use of classic Mickey Mouse comic strips in the background and both Mickey and Minnie in a more classical style that approximates their old 'rubber hose' looks.

I guess it's either the CM who still has old habits or that they haven't implemented the 'per-request' basis yet, at least until they start to sell optional reusables at the point of sale throughout the park, which I know they've already done in WoD, but contrary to what some sites have reported, the plastic bags will still be available, as much as they'll start to encourage bag reduction, so perhaps nothing else major is going to happen until at least Earth Day, which is what I reckon would be the case.
It wasn't just one CM. It was many CMs at many locations all over the parks, hotels and DTD. I do know this. I came home with a fair number of souvenirs. I would have come home with a whole lot less if they weren't bagging them as always.

Not one purchase was not bagged as before. And I didn't have to ask. I am not a fan of doing away with bags, but I do think they should at least ask if you need a bag before automatically using one. No reason not to.

It wasn't just one CM. It was many CMs at many locations all over the parks, hotels and DTD. I do know this. I came home with a fair number of souvenirs. I would have come home with a whole lot less if they weren't bagging them as always.

Not one purchase was not bagged as before. And I didn't have to ask. I am not a fan of doing away with bags, but I do think they should at least ask if you need a bag before automatically using one. No reason not to.
That's why the July announcement only mentioned "reducing plastic shopping bags", not "eliminating plastic shopping bags" in the Parks, Resorts and Cruise Line (note the difference in language; something which flew over the heads of those that reported on the announcement, which assumed an elimination), because I'd hate to imagine the amount of outrage that would result from the latter, not to mention the practicality points I've pontificated on that would result in significant problems. Again, the large plastic bags they use are big and tall enough to accommodate multiple purchases, so common sense would dictate only giving them out prudently with a 'per-request' basis.

If, let's say I bought some tees on Main Street and then I went to get some pins elsewhere in the same park, it wouldn't make any sense dishing out a small bag when I already have the bag I got with my clothing purchases, so I could amalgamate them into that one large plastic bag I already have with no problems, and I can easily reuse a large or XL plastic bag later, whilst the smallest bag doesn't have enough reuse potential. The other thing is that the GWP of plastic bags is far lower than a reusable bag made of RPET, NWPP, or even cotton, so a few uses and reuses would already nullify the carbon footprint PE has compared to other materials. Other materials require multiple reuses, which often runs into tens and hundreds of required reuses to offset the same footprint as PE.

I've been reading this thread off and on for a while. I was disappointed at first when I heard the Disney Store was going to stop giving plastic bags. I've bought several reusable big Disney bags the last couple years to use at the local grocery. Yesterday I drove to the mall, folded up the bags and tucked them under my arm. I also held a purse and my daughter's hand. No issue. Then I went to the Disney Store and bought several items (Mickey Memories Mickey and mug, a shirt, WiR dolls) and stuck them right in the bag I brought. It actually was way easier than using the plastic bags AND I still had room for other purchases from other stores and two coats. I think it may take some getting used to, but I don't think this will be a huge issue going forward. It's just something we have to adapt to.

I've been reading this thread off and on for a while. I was disappointed at first when I heard the Disney Store was going to stop giving plastic bags. I've bought several reusable big Disney bags the last couple years to use at the local grocery. Yesterday I drove to the mall, folded up the bags and tucked them under my arm. I also held a purse and my daughter's hand. No issue. Then I went to the Disney Store and bought several items (Mickey Memories Mickey and mug, a shirt, WiR dolls) and stuck them right in the bag I brought. It actually was way easier than using the plastic bags AND I still had room for other purchases from other stores and two coats. I think it may take some getting used to, but I don't think this will be a huge issue going forward. It's just something we have to adapt to.
I’m the exact opposite. I prefer the plastic bags because I can easily fit them in my pockets, and I don’t like carrying reusable bags under my arms because it’ll make me look like I’m about to shoplift, plus if I’m wearing my rucksack, I’d have to put them inside, and I cannot accommodate more than one bag in mine due to capacity (I’m a photographer so I’d have my gear inside), so if I’m buying more than I intend, especially during their sales, I’d end up having to buy additional reusables, and that will add up too quickly, plus their reusable bags have quality issues, so if one rips, I’d have to buy another and then throw the old one out. ‘Going green’ is already causing a Cobra Effect because the reusable bags are still being disposed of, and with no recycling available for those bags, they’ll end up festering in landfills for years to come.

I’m the exact opposite. I prefer the plastic bags because I can easily fit them in my pockets, and I don’t like carrying reusable bags under my arms because it’ll make me look like I’m about to shoplift, plus if I’m wearing my rucksack, I’d have to put them inside, and I cannot accommodate more than one bag in mine due to capacity (I’m a photographer so I’d have my gear inside), so if I’m buying more than I intend, especially during their sales, I’d end up having to buy additional reusables, and that will add up too quickly, plus their reusable bags have quality issues, so if one rips, I’d have to buy another and then throw the old one out. ‘Going green’ is already causing a Cobra Effect because the reusable bags are still being disposed of, and with no recycling available for those bags, they’ll end up festering in landfills for years to come.
I've never had a reusable one rip or tear. I've used them the last 2 years at the grocery every week. Around here the stores have mostly stopped using plastic. It really isn't a big deal. People adapt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter