No Tents Allowed in Premium?!?

PkbaughAR

Mouseketeer
I just got off the phone with Disney updating the number of people in my reservation for a premium campsite. The representative asked me what kind of equipment, and I told her about the trailer length, slides and awning. I also mentioned a tent. She tells me tents are not allowed in premium sites!! Is this new? Are they enforcing? We camp twice a year at the Fort and have always seen tents in premium.

I haven't heard about tents not being allowed on premium sites, just nowhere to stake them down.

News to me. Maybe somebody there can ask bus driver for confirmation.

What tiggerdad said.

It's not that they are "not allowed". It's that there is not a sand/tent pad at every Premium site so they are not conducive to tents. There are some sites where you can put a tent off the pavement but a tent space off to the side is not guaranteed available at every site.

Some Premiums are surrounded by trees and bushes closely. But ask the CM to note a tent on your reservation and when you check in, either in the drive through line or going into the lobby, ask for Premium site that will accommodate your tent.

The smaller your tent is, the better your chances of fitting whatever space you get. I think they are trying to manage expectations. Don't expect a tent to go on your Premium - but if you ask in advance and show some flexibility as to what loop you get, they will try to get you a site to fit your tent.

Bama Ed

Thanks for the replies! Long time lurker and I understand everything you’ve said. The CM actually called someone else while I was on hold to confirm it. Said that it’s a recent change.

FWIW when we were there in November we had someone local only tent camp next to use for the weekend in our premium loop.

Thanks for the replies! Long time lurker and I understand everything you’ve said. The CM actually called someone else while I was on hold to confirm it. Said that it’s a recent change.

FWIW when we were there in November we had someone local only tent camp next to use for the weekend in our premium loop.

Bet it was the only site left and they figured they would use it to camp in a tent.

I'm willing to bet there are tents in the premium loops right now and will be come our next trip. I believe this is a case of the blind leading the blind.

Can't speak to the 'newness' of it, but we had a tent set up on our premium in Oct/Nov. I staked one side just off the pad and brought bricks to anchor the remaining points - worked out just fine.

I'm a lurker, but was hoping for some guidance. I have a premium site booked in April, but I def need to pitch a tent for my nephews. Can anyone advise me what sites I can put a tent on so I can kindly request them? I really appreciate your help.

I'm a lurker, but was hoping for some guidance. I have a premium site booked in April, but I def need to pitch a tent for my nephews. Can anyone advise me what sites I can put a tent on so I can kindly request them? I really appreciate your help.

What style/size of RV are you using? Do you have a tow vehicle or a towed vehicle? These issues give some sense of how much space will be used by your hard equipment. That said, others can give you a better sense of actual site sizes. What I would say is that, in many cases, the issue is not size (unless your rig is quite large) but anchoring the tent. You very well may have nowhere to put a stake. You need to be prepared to anchor the tent on concrete. When we went, I brought an old tarp to put between the floor and the ground (just for an extra layer of protection) and used bricks as tie-downs for the tent.

I'm willing to bet there are tents in the premium loops right now and will be come our next trip. I believe this is a case of the blind leading the blind.

Melissa, we are in the 1400 loops, and there are at least four tents beside or behind the motor homes, and one behind a travel trailer.

I knew it!

Hope those radical tent campers aren't infringing on your well deserved family vacation, Barb. No need to worry unless you.....

see a uhaul
are next to the "kitchen site"
observe three or more tents on one site
or those flying skateboards ;)

Nope, Melissa, we are just fine with whomever (whoever)! Is in the loop. We are having fun. For the first time in forever, we have done more pool time, relaxing. Slow and easy for us, except for our Disney After Hours event last night. Pooped today. Did not get home till 1:20 am.

What style/size of RV are you using? Do you have a tow vehicle or a towed vehicle? These issues give some sense of how much space will be used by your hard equipment. That said, others can give you a better sense of actual site sizes. What I would say is that, in many cases, the issue is not size (unless your rig is quite large) but anchoring the tent. You very well may have nowhere to put a stake. You need to be prepared to anchor the tent on concrete. When we went, I brought an old tarp to put between the floor and the ground (just for an extra layer of protection) and used bricks as tie-downs for the tent.

Thanks for the reply. Its a 34 foot Travel Trailer with 1 slide out, and a Tundra pick up. I would like to avoid my nephews sleeping concrete if I can. I will take your suggestions and bring a tarp. I just was hoping to get a site with more sand.

This morning, we just noticed that in Big Bear loop, there are two large tents on the concrete. No other RV, but that does not mean a relative is next to this family in an RV. I agree with Sippican, the concrete might be harder, but no sand in tents, a carpet on floor, etc. pros and cons, but any decision will be right for your family.

Last edited:
IMHO a full-hook-up site instead of a premium would best accommodate both an RV and a tent.
We have camped at FW several times and love it, just never with a tent. My DH believes the premium sites are larger. He doesn't like backing into the sites at FW and asked we try to get a larger site. He enables my Disney Habit so I want to accommodate him.

We have camped at FW several times and love it, just never with a tent. My DH believes the premium sites are larger. He doesn't like backing into the sites at FW and asked we try to get a larger site. He enables my Disney Habit so I want to accommodate him.

We visit FW multiple times a year. We have a 35 ft MH with three slides. We stay in both premium and full-hook-up. The premium sites have a larger concrete pad, but trust me, the full-hook-up sites are just as spacious, if not more so, and as easy as pie to back into. You can do a web search for photos and videos of sites. Of course, you can also request an easy to back into site upon check-in - generally, the ones on the outside of the loops are easier. That being said, you must indulge your DH, but do have a look at the FH sites when you are there (1700 is a popular one) to see what I mean.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter