Non park days / non park trip

CouponGirl

DIS Veteran
Hi! We haven’t been yet, but really excited about camping at Fort Wilderness in the future. It seems like there’s a lot to do there without ever going to the parks and I’m wondering if you plan for non park days (how many) or if some of you go without going to the parks and how long you stay.

Also, for a first timer, is there a time of year that would be better/more enjoyable (I know I’ll get lots of complaints if we go in the summer due to heat and humidity). I realize it’s all personal preference, but would love to hear feedback from people that have been!

Hi and welcome! I know many of us plan one or more non-park days just to relax at the Fort (even if it's just to sit outside and listen to the sounds of nature.)

As you said, the summer is definitely hot and humid. October through December are fun months at the Fort because a lot of folks will decorate their campsites so you can walk around or rent a golf cart and tour the different loops to see what people have done. Previously on holidays like July 4, Halloween, and Christmas they would host a decorated golf cart parade. With COVID going on, I'm not sure when that will resume. I know I saw another poster mentioned for July 4 they just judged the golf carts at the sites instead of doing a parade but who's to know what the future holds.

Don't know when you're planning on going but we are having DIS meet at the Fort in October. More info can be found here - https://www.disboards.com/threads/u...post-283-for-latest-news-and-updates.3753292/

In our off time, we did drive to the Disney Outlet store to check out the bargains or went to Camping World as we do not have one in Canada. But we also tend to do some laundry if necessary and enjoy the pool. One day I'd like to take bikes for everyone to do "looping" with instead of renting a golf cart but we can't fit 6 bikes into our towed vehicle which doesn't have its own hitch for a bike rack.

We go for 4 to 5 days at a time. Last trip we had a left over day on our park hoppers and went to EPCOT for the Flower and Garden. The rest of the time we drove the golf cart around the loops, ate at non-park restaurants, went to the quiet pool, and resort hopped.
We have no park tickets for our 5 day trip this October. Our favorite month here is October for weather. We plan on going to the quiet pool, looping in the golf cart to check out the decorations. Restaurants and resort hopping if the places we want to eat are open.
You can spend a week at the Fort, never go to a park and still have a good time.

We typically spend anywhere between 7-10 days at the Fort. We schedule some non-park days to enjoy the pool and ride around on the golf cart. There is so much to do at the Fort and it is so relaxing! If possible, I would schedule time to enjoy it!

Hi and welcome! I know many of us plan one or more non-park days just to relax at the Fort (even if it's just to sit outside and listen to the sounds of nature.)

As you said, the summer is definitely hot and humid. October through December are fun months at the Fort because a lot of folks will decorate their campsites so you can walk around or rent a golf cart and tour the different loops to see what people have done. Previously on holidays like July 4, Halloween, and Christmas they would host a decorated golf cart parade. With COVID going on, I'm not sure when that will resume. I know I saw another poster mentioned for July 4 they just judged the golf carts at the sites instead of doing a parade but who's to know what the future holds.

Don't know when you're planning on going but we are having DIS meet at the Fort in October. More info can be found here - https://www.disboards.com/threads/u...post-283-for-latest-news-and-updates.3753292/
Thanks! I am currently looking at sometime next year. That sounds like a lot of fun to be able to decorate and see all the decorated camp sites :)

Wow! Did you go do other ‘touristy’ things around Orlando, or just mainly stay at the Fort?
Mostly just hung around the Fort. Lunches at the Poly (love the pulled pork nachos) rode the monorail, ate fried chicken on the porch at Crocketts, walks with the dog (she loved meeting new people, especially kids)
etc etc. We rarely leave the property except for groceries.

As you said, the summer is definitely hot and humid. October through December are fun months at the Fort because a lot of folks will decorate their campsites so you can walk around or rent a golf cart and tour the different loops to see what people have done.
Yes, Oct-Dec are fun months just to hang around the Fort, if you can get reservations then. They are hard to get. We love to go horseback riding, hit the pool, golf cart loop cruising, bike riding, and feet on the rail at Crockets.

Jan-Apr are just as pleasant months weather wise, maybe better. Remember hurricane season down here ends Nov 30th, and as a lot of Dis members will tell you, tropical storms can invade the peninsula into Dec. I don't recall any past January and the weather is excellent then. Spring break used to be a crowd concern, unsure how that will play out this coming spring 2021.

May is when it starts getting too steamy, and lasts through Sep. We avoid May-Sep for the heat but also to avoid summer vacation crowds. If we go then, we generally stay at the Fort or trek to D. Springs for the food/shopping.

To be fair, CouponGirl:

Part of the Fort magic is not available right now.

The campfire singalong with Chip & Dale (and bring your own marshmallows to roast at the Campfire Singalong) is not being held in these covid times.

The fireworks over Magic Kingdom with the music piped in to the FW beach is not available in these covid times.

The Electric Water Parade (which inspired the much loved Main Street Electrical Parade) is not available off the Fort beach in these covid times.

The golf cart parades for July 4, Halloween (likely), and Christmas (possibly) may not all be available in these covid times.

Halloween trick-or-treating from site-to-site by WDW guests (a long standing tradition done by Fort guests and NOT centralized/operated by WDW) may not be available in these covid time at the end of October (remains to be seen).

But Fort campers are some of the nicest, most approachable folks you will meet at your WDW resort. Campers are that way outside the WDW bubble (happy to talk camping with other campers). I can't say EVERY camper is friendly and outgoing (some can be grumpy and inhospitable) but your "batting average" will be fairly high if you see a camper outside his site and ask them a question (decorations, rv/camper, golf cart, a posted sign, other) that they will engage you civilly and in a friendly manner.

In my limited experience off-site at WDW and other places while I travel, guests are afraid/reluctant to approach other guests with an inquiry, conversation, or a question. But you'll have the best luck of a good encounter at Fort Wilderness.

Again, not guaranteeing 100% success rate in your experience but the odds are high you'll have a good time. Which is why we all keep coming back to FW.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Thanks! I am currently looking at sometime next year. That sounds like a lot of fun to be able to decorate and see all the decorated camp sites :)
I would suggest you book ASAP either by phone or online if you want Halloween/Christmas timing as reservations will be difficult to get even considering it's for next year.

Our favorite time to go is Jan & Feb. Since we are retired now, we normally stay 3 weeks. Many a day we hang at the Fort. Too many things to see & do. As Bama Ed said 99% of the campers are friendly, helpful and love to visit. We love looping thru the other sites to see all the cute neat decorations. Have a great time & be sure to let us all know the fun you are having when you can.

We went last year in July for 5 days and did not go to the parks at all. A lot of what we did last summer is not currently open. Such as renting water craft or the campfire sing a long or hoop dee Doo and we also went to Disney springs and saw a movie, and the theater is also currently closed. But we did ride bikes, road around on our golf cart, movie under the stars, went to the pool, played basketball, grilled, lounged, played plenty of games at our camper. And some things we didn’t do that’s currently available includes archery lessons and horseback riding, canoeing and I believe you can still do a fishing excursion. Oh and we also explored Wilderness Lodge and Contemporary Resort. In usual times there is definitely more than enough. I was fulfilled with 5 days but could absolutely have stayed longer. When we go and go to the parks too we usually are there for 9-10 days and plan at least two full resort days and plenty of resort afternoons.

Yes, Oct-Dec are fun months just to hang around the Fort, if you can get reservations then. They are hard to get. We love to go horseback riding, hit the pool, golf cart loop cruising, bike riding, and feet on the rail at Crockets.

Jan-Apr are just as pleasant months weather wise, maybe better. Remember hurricane season down here ends Nov 30th, and as a lot of Dis members will tell you, tropical storms can invade the peninsula into Dec. I don't recall any past January and the weather is excellent then. Spring break used to be a crowd concern, unsure how that will play out this coming spring 2021.

May is when it starts getting too steamy, and lasts through Sep. We avoid May-Sep for the heat but also to avoid summer vacation crowds. If we go then, we generally stay at the Fort or trek to D. Springs for the food/shopping.
Thanks for the additional information regarding the weather and hurricane season... wasn’t thinking about that, but definitely something to be aware of

With reservations not yet being released for end of next year, I wonder if that will make it easier for someone to book if they are keeping an eye on them opening up reservations. I did notice the dates I checked for earlier in 2021 had availability still.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter