Number of People Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for me and the concept of walking a reservation. I discovered the concept here, in 2014, while learning about if I want to buy into DVC.

Instead of discouraging me, I was intrigued that there were tricks to the system and I had stumbled into the exact place where I could learn those tricks.

I bought into BCV and Poly so I haven’t had a need to walk until I added into AKV last year, just for that purpose (for having a shot at value and concierge).

As for me and the concept of walking a reservation. I discovered the concept here, in 2014, while learning about if I want to buy into DVC.

Instead of discouraging me, I was intrigued that there were tricks to the system and I had stumbled into the exact place where I could learn those tricks.

I bought into BCV and Poly so I haven’t had a need to walk until I added into AKV last year, just for that purpose (for having a shot at value and concierge).
Ironic that the more we post about discouraging the practice, the more the knowledge on how to do so reaches readers and search engines.

Ironic that the more we post about discouraging the practice, the more the knowledge on how to do so reaches readers and search engines.
OTOH if people come here and read about walking and as a result, become educated that buying just enough points for BWV standard for a week in early Dec is not a workable plan, and they should plan on owning AT LEAST enough points to book pool/garden as a backup plan, then that’s an education worth getting.

I don’t really know what the answer should be. I have to blame DVC for creating some of this situation. Once they sold studio only units and bungalows and cabins that most owners will never be able to stay in, well here you have it. An oversold vacation club that has more demand for fewer units. So no, there should not be any fees imposed for modifications.

I don’t really know what the answer should be. I have to blame DVC for creating some of this situation. Once they sold studio only units and bungalows and cabins that most owners will never be able to stay in, well here you have it. An oversold vacation club that has more demand for fewer units. So no, there should not be any fees imposed for modifications.

I think you hit "the nail on the head" so to speak. Did anyone really want the EXPENSIVE point Cabins? I know I can't afford them, and I have 160 points at CCV... I think that they (DVC) should listen to us and have more studios that sleep 5, 1 BR's sleep 5, 2BRs that sleep 9.. I KNOW there are DVC units with that already exists.. But, for future builds, they should listen to what we REALLY want!!! Just my .02.....

The problem isn’t walking; that’s a symptom.

The problem is more demand than supply.

Agree with this... as much as I don’t necessarily want them to increase the point chart for the time of year I usually go (Oct-Dec), it makes a lot of sense to do so based on demand. I think it would help with walking.

And the cabins and bungalows was just a blatant way to sell more points.

I think you hit "the nail on the head" so to speak. Did anyone really want the EXPENSIVE point Cabins? I know I can't afford them, and I have 160 points at CCV... I think that they (DVC) should listen to us and have more studios that sleep 5, 1 BR's sleep 5, 2BRs that sleep 9.. I KNOW there are DVC units with that already exists.. But, for future builds, they should listen to what we REALLY want!!! Just my .02.....

Even though I've got a lot of points, I would never spend them on a bungalow or cabin.

In the case of Copper Creek, the converted rooms are too small for an additional person. When WL was originally built, it was supposed to be a “budget” Deluxe, with small rooms.

I don't think that the cabins and bungalows have as big of an impact as many think. Grand villas cost even more points in some cases, including CCV, but nobody complains about them. The cabins seem to be booked much of the time, even if it does take longer for them to book up. Just because most of us probably can't or won't stay in those units doesn't mean they aren't being booked.

Last edited:
I disagree.

Poly and BCV have studios that sleep 5 but we don't see the walking issue that we see at BWV for std. view studios. And yet Poly has those point-sucking bungalows. AKV value studios and CL level studios sleep only 4 but they are walked all year. It's not that there aren't enough studios. It's that there aren't enough of those studios to meet the demand.

And TBH, not every owner wants to see studios that sleep 5 or 2BRs that sleep 9. IMO, that just adds to the wear and tear in those villas. Higher occupancy means a greater strain on resources (pools, parking, dining, transportation, etc), which drives up operating costs and therefore the dues. Not to mention that the retro-fitted 5-person studios are cramped when all sleep surfaces are opened and sacrificed storage space in favor of that fold-down bed. It reminds me a sleeping in a travel trailer where one bed can only be accessed by converting the dinette.

The saga continues regardless. I own Bwv and BLT so that I can use them for standard rooms, all levels. I’ve never had a problem getting what I want until this year. I’m still booking my 10 night Bwv standard studio....got 3 more days to go. This is worse than walking for sure. Today’s date wasn’t even available today, so just focused on adding yesterday day when a walker dropped it. Lesson learned....I don’t want to walk, but booking a 10 night reservation that takes 11 mornings to do is really hard. Last year I booked TWO standard studios for 2 nights each same dates for us and kids for the end of October and did the same day and had no problem nor did I waitlist or walk. I predict it’s going to get worse and we’ll all have to walk to get our desired dates.

The saga continues regardless. I own Bwv and BLT so that I can use them for standard rooms, all levels. I’ve never had a problem getting what I want until this year. I’m still booking my 10 night Bwv standard studio....got 3 more days to go. This is worse than walking for sure. Today’s date wasn’t even available today, so just focused on adding yesterday day when a walker dropped it. Lesson learned....I don’t want to walk, but booking a 10 night reservation that takes 11 mornings to do is really hard. Last year I booked TWO standard studios for 2 nights each same dates for us and kids for the end of October and did the same day and had no problem nor did I waitlist or walk. I predict it’s going to get worse and we’ll all have to walk to get our desired dates.
Not all. There are dozens of categories of rooms across the DVC spectrum and only a few require walking.

You just happen to routinely want to book two of those rare categories: BLT and BWV standard.

Out of 14 resorts, only 4 have any real 11 month availability issues:

BWV standard
BLT standard
AKV value and concierge
VGF studios during early Dec

Possibly VGC although I’m not sure how much of an 11 month problem exists there.

If you’re not trying to book one of those resorts and categories, and of course this is more exacerbated by “Fall Frenzy”, then if you’re walking, you’re wasting your time.

I’m not trying to give you grief. It’s definitely a problem for the categories you’re seeking but it’s not a system wide problem.

And. As I said earlier, walking isn’t a problem but a symptom. The problem is demand outpaces supply.

The real answer as previously mentioned is to recalibrate demand by price appreciation: reallocation. There are people here suggesting charges for modification; that will only treat the symptom. The real fix is a week in a studio in Dec costing 20 more points. I wonder if the majority of those advocating for new fees would be happy with a fix that entails an increase of 3pts/night for Dec studios?

Last edited:

I have been trying to get a standard view 2 bedroom for the last couple of days. No luck so far. Can see rooms being freed up as walkers are walking. Definitely harder than previous years.

Not all. There are dozens of categories of rooms across the DVC spectrum and only a few require walking.

You just happen to routinely want to book two of those rare categories: BLT and BWV standard.

Out of 14 resorts, only 4 have any real 11 month availability issues:

BWV standard
BLT standard
AKV value and concierge
VGF studios during early Dec

Possibly VGC although I’m not sure how much of an 11 month problem exists there.

If you’re not trying to book one of those resorts and categories, and of course this is more exacerbated by “Fall Frenzy”, then if you’re walking, you’re wasting your time.

I’m not trying to give you grief. It’s definitely a problem for the categories you’re seeking but it’s not a system wide problem.

And. As I said earlier, walking isn’t a problem but a symptom. The problem is demand outpaces supply.

The real answer as previously mentioned is to recalibrate demand by price appreciation: reallocation. There are people here suggesting charges for modification; that will only treat the symptom. The real fix is a week in a studio in Dec costing 20 more points. I wonder if the majority of those advocating for new fees would be happy with a fix that entails an increase of 3pts/night for Dec studios?

Also Bwv boardwalk view too. As I’m adding a dropped day each day, I’ve notice Bw view is also gone immediately. Yes demand has gone up since buying these resorts many years ago. I normally book at BLT in a 1 bedroom standard which is not as hard as the studio. Though I did book a 2 bedroom standard for early September with ease, but it was a dedicated so wasn’t studio dependent. October in general is just getting so darn busy now.

I also believe it's a supply/demand issue. For example I remember when VGF went on sale, a lot of people bought just enough points for studio stays (since they were the first to introduce studios for 5).

There are only 46 studios...so how on earth can everyone be accommodated?

I have 4 nights in a VGF standard view studio coming up. I have only 40 VGF points, so this was a coup! I was helped by people walking, they obviously did not want the December dates we wanted. I booked Lake view and waitlisted SV. I may not be as lucky next year, I only can do 2 nights, but if I can’t I will use the points somewhere at 7 months. Our VGF points were bought for studio use, at December, so I do consider that our one DVC mistake, except we would be OK with Lake View, for 2 days....our preferred resort in December is Wilderness Lodge area. I like the Gingerbread and music at the GF, those are Resort nights.

We LOVE the Cascade Cabins.

JETSDAD mentioned that Grand Villas cost lots of points, and getting one this year in Aulani meant we could not get a cabin this December, we’re doing a two bedroom at Wilderness Lodge, I would have loved to get a cabin to share with our friends.

I have a 13 night WDW stay this December, three different resorts with three different groups of people.

As I mentioned before, I was lucky to grab the days I wanted in the week BEFORE my first choice, BWV standard studio for F and W. Those nights are not all available now. We almost always do December 29,30 at BLT standard studio, and December 31, January 1 in BWV standard studio. This year we have Lake view at BLT, so we were shut out of standard view at 11 months for our first time.

Last edited:
The point remains that pool/garden view is still there for BWV. Standard and savannah views for AKV, Lakeview for BLT. If anything all any of this really show is that small room categories are popular and in demand. BCV? It's a small resort but there are not categories at all and it's not an issue. Same with VWL. And really it's the same with BLT and BWV but it happens to be the 2 largest room categories - lakeview and pool/garden view.

I'm still without any belief that a change is needed just because certain room categories are popular or even that certain times are popular. That's the point system and that's what happens when certain room location or view categories are wanted within a flexible point system. There's nothing in the sales process that makes certain it limits that people are buying only to meet the demand of those and once that limit is met then the next buyers have to buy to stay in lakeview or pool/garden view vs being allowed to book Standard views or Boardwalk views. Flexibility in the points system has always meant that you might run into needing flexibility in the room categories or views.

Have you always been going at the dates you are trying to this year?

I've always found BWV and BLT to be difficult and don't see a huge difference this year - they are still popular rooms to book.

To finish the thought on reallocating for Dec especially studios:

Do I think that a demand/supply mismatch in maybe 6/30 or so studio booking categories at exactly the 11 month window calls for a reallocation?

I do not.

I think it’s better to educate potential buyers about the problem in those few categories and leave the rest alone.

Walking just isn’t a big enough deal to turn over the whole apple cart. Not for adding fees. Not for reallocation.

I am not against a reallocation. It seems more DVC people prefer F&W and Christmas decorations to hot summer months.

Since points have to balance out, I think something better as far as easing the frenzy of walking during these times is acceptable to me.:stir:

Of course when MS RAISED the Treehouse points from the two bedroom level, I thought that was shady, since that’s how they sold the idea of treehouses to us. I am not a fan of many things MS does. I am less a fan of them then when I bought in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter