NY Travel Advisory starting 11/4. NJ & CT have separate lists now

I'm being completely genuine when I say that I wish there were live action maps that show the movement of Covid through the World and US like there where when the zombie apocalypse fad was a thing, anyone else remember all the staggeringly cool maps we had during WD?

Sounds like Cuomo's leaning towards dropping the quarantine requirements and going to a testing requirement.

https://www.ithacajournal.com/story...UJF8U0-fin6X0OR3m9h-tXT7tuXvbV_rgdKUc6szMsj58

Praying to everything that is holy that this goes into effect. We have flights to California for Christmas, would love to visit family out of state and even possibly sneak a WDW trip in. And like he states, quarantine is almost impossible to enforce. Rapid testing would make so much more sense here.

YES! Let's take advantage of the abundant testing we have! Our county executive is actually asking people to have tests because the only ones getting tested are the sick ones or bulk-testing in facilities with an outbreak, so why not let us visit loved ones out of state who we've been blacked out from seeing for the last almost year. We'd happily have a rapid test at whatever time frame(s) they suggest, whether it's before we leave NY or right upon returning to NY or even on Day 5-7 after return. Basically, we'd take all 3 tests if it means we can go out of state and return without the 14 day quarantine.

YES! Let's take advantage of the abundant testing we have! Our county executive is actually asking people to have tests because the only ones getting tested are the sick ones or bulk-testing in facilities with an outbreak, so why not let us visit loved ones out of state who we've been blacked out from seeing for the last almost year. We'd happily have a rapid test at whatever time frame(s) they suggest, whether it's before we leave NY or right upon returning to NY or even on Day 5-7 after return. Basically, we'd take all 3 tests if it means we can go out of state and return without the 14 day quarantine.
I'm not sure the rapid tests are particularly reliable, but I'd be more than willing to take a test that actually comes back within 48 hours.

I'm not sure the rapid tests are particularly reliable, but I'd be more than willing to take a test that actually comes back within 48 hours.
They’ve found the ones sold at Costco to be very reliable. Hopefully soon we can get the price down on them, so they’re more widely accessible.

Yes, we'd be glad to take any covid test whether rapid or 2-day. We have plenty of both kinds available around here.

The rapid tests have been used recently in our county for 2 somewhat large outbreaks, and while I agree not all tests are accurate, it looks like they worked well enough since one outbreak is gone and the other is headed in the right direction. I think rapid tests are handy in those types of situations (large outbreaks) so if they want to give travelling people the 2-day tests that is perfectly fine!

I know MA, CT, and AK require the PCR tests to get out of quarantine. I'm sure some other states do, too, I just haven't had to look up their requirements.

I’m sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what data source is NY using for their metrics... is it from Johns Hopkins? If so, here are the metrics when pulled on 10/25:

440A62FE-EE67-40BE-A206-BCAA4EAFAA95.jpeg

Then on 10/27, this was posted:

3A032FB3-5291-45E1-B457-99E914E475C5.png

And then today, the metrics have been updated... and show that FL has been below the 10% threshold SINCE AUGUST.

1A85E6D4-656D-460A-8021-A7D58A947F91.png

If this is true, think of all the people who didn’t visit their loved ones and could have... those that went anyway and dealt with an unnecessary quarantine... those that may have lost money on trips that fell through where refunds couldn’t be obtained... sigh.

If these are the metrics being used and the rolling average stays below 10% through next Monday, then FL should come off the quarantine list, yes?

I’m sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but what data source is NY using for their metrics... is it from Johns Hopkins? If so, here are the metrics when pulled on 10/25:

View attachment 535215

Then on 10/27, this was posted:

View attachment 535217

And then today, the metrics have been updated... and show that FL has been below the 10% threshold SINCE AUGUST.

View attachment 535216

If this is true, think of all the people who didn’t visit their loved ones and could have... those that went anyway and dealt with an unnecessary quarantine... those that may have lost money on trips that fell through where refunds couldn’t be obtained... sigh.

If these are the metrics being used and the rolling average stays below 10% through next Monday, then FL should come off the quarantine list, yes?
Unfortunately, no. Under 10% is one of the metrics. The other is less than 10 cases per 100,000 on a rolling average basis (7 days, I believe). That's the one most states can't meet. Maryland has a positivity rate of just over 3%and we're on the list.

LATEST UPDATE for NY only as of 10/31/20:
(thanks to @LadyBeBop for the letting us know. :thumbsup2)

NO changes for NJ & CT. They are staying with the 14 day quarantine list.

This is the UPDATED NY State COVID-19 Travel Advisory

directly from the NY.gov website:

"The new NY State policy goes into effect Wednesday, Nov 4.
Travelers Must Get Tested Within Three Days Prior to Entering New York, Quarantine for at Least Three Days Upon Arrival, and Get a Test on Day Four of Arrival.
3 Days (prior) + 4 Days = the 7 day incubation period of the probability that one has COVID.
If Travelers Receive a Second Negative Test On Day Four of Quarantine, They May End Quarantine.
Local health departments will validate tests, if necessary, and if a test comes back positive, will issue isolation orders and initiate contact tracing. The local health department must make contact with the state the traveler came from, to ensure contact tracing proceeds there as well.
States that are Contiguous [border] with New York: Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, continue to be exempted from the quarantine protocol
***Essential Workers Also Continue to be Exempted.***
NY Travelers Who Were Only Out of State for Less Than 24 Hours Do Not Need to Quarantine but Must Get a Test on Day Four of Arrival Back in NY.
New York residents traveling outside the state for more than 24 hours must follow the same procedure as out of state travelers. This does not apply to travel between New York and the neighboring states of Connecticut, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania.
All Travelers from out of state, covered in the Travel Advisory must continue to fill out the Traveler Health Form upon arrival into New York State.
State officials said the new requirement will be enforced in the same way as the previous 14-day quarantine policy. All travelers must continue to fill out the NY Traveler Health Form upon arrival into New York State to contribute to New York State’s robust contact tracing program. The policy leans on individual compliance.​
For the long version with more specific info on the NY State COVID-19 Travel Advisory:​

I'll continue to check if more specific info is already out, like what are NJ & CT doing? Are they requiring the same? Or is these new rules for NY only?

Anyone who finds it first, please DO post for all of us. :grouphug: :thumbsup2

Last edited:
Basically, if you travel from NY to Disney would need to get a test in Florida within 3 days of returning to NY. Then they need to quarantine for 3 FULL days back in NY. Then get another test and wait for it to be negative (if it take 3 days to come back negative you still need to quarantine for those 3 additional days). If negative, you are released from your quarantine. So it definitely is less than the full 14 day quarantine requirement, but as always, it’s honor system and self reporting. Will be more strict for flight arrivals, there won’t be roadblocks set up for car travel.

The worst part will be having to get that test in another state prior to arriving. For NYers in Florida, the rapid tests at a place like AdventHealth are $180 a piece. For a family of 4 that’s quite pricey. On the other hand, you can still quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in NY without having to test.

Hmm, I was going to run into CT tomorrow for the afternoon, I wonder if I will have to get a test when I come back?
N/M I see it goes in to effect on Wednesday. I just will make sure I get to Trader Joes and LLBean before then!

Hmm, I was going to run into CT tomorrow for the afternoon, I wonder if I will have to get a test when I come back?
N/M I see it goes in to effect on Wednesday. I just will make sure I get to Trader Joes and LLBean before then!

From the article;

The policy, which goes into effect Wednesday, does not apply to travel between New York and the neighboring states of Connecticut, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania.

So you would have never been subjected to the test anyway.

This really doesn't make visiting our families in NY any easier. We usually visit both families for Christmas and they live on completely opposite ends of NYS so the logistics during a normal year are quite complex. Right now, our plans are for just my husband to go and visit his family, or for us to each go and visit our own families, but not each others, and spend the holiday away from one another, or we just stay home together this year. It isn't a huge concern to us no matter which option we choose, and quite a bit could change between now and Christmas, but it is definitely sad and disappointing. Maybe we can just do Christmas in July 2021...

LATEST UPDATE for NY only as of 10/31/20:
(thanks to @LadyBeBop for the letting us know. :thumbsup2)

(NO info yet on if there are changes for NJ & CT.)

This is the UPDATED NY State COVID-19 Travel Advisory

directly from the NY.gov website:

"The new NY State policy goes into effect Wednesday, Nov 4.
Travelers Must Get Tested Within Three Days Prior to Entering New York, Quarantine for at Least Three Days Upon Arrival, and Get a Test on Day Four of Arrival.
3 Days (prior) + 4 Days = the 7 day incubation period of the probability that one has COVID.
If Travelers Receive a Second Negative Test On Day Four of Quarantine, They May End Quarantine.
Local health departments will validate tests, if necessary, and if a test comes back positive, will issue isolation orders and initiate contact tracing. The local health department must make contact with the state the traveler came from, to ensure contact tracing proceeds there as well.
States that are Contiguous [border] with New York, [Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania - and probably Massachusetts(?)] continue to be exempted from the quarantine protocol
***Essential Workers Also Continue to be Exempted.***
NY Travelers Who Were Only Out of State for Less Than 24 Hours Do Not Need to Quarantine but Must Get a Test on Day Four of Arrival Back in NY.
New York residents traveling outside the state for more than 24 hours must follow the same procedure as out of state travelers. This does not apply to travel between New York and the neighboring states of Connecticut, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania. [And probably MA(?)]
All Travelers from out of state, covered in the Travel Advisory must continue to fill out the Traveler Health Form upon arrival into New York State.
State officials said the new requirement will be enforced in the same way as the previous 14-day quarantine policy. All travelers must continue to fill out the NY Traveler Health Form upon arrival into New York State to contribute to New York State’s robust contact tracing program. The policy leans on individual compliance.​
For the long version with more specific info on the NY State COVID-19 Travel Advisory:​

I'll continue to check if more specific info is already out, like what are NJ & CT doing? Are they requiring the same? Or is these new rules for NY only?

Anyone who finds it first, please DO post for all of us. :grouphug: :thumbsup2

There will probably be a press conference Monday, in which reporters grill the Gov. on more specific questions that usually come up in the Q&A part of a general announcement.

Going to Disney the week of the 14th of November and flying home to WNY on the 21st. Can we get a rapid test in Disney? Or is that not possible? Under the new rules, we would need to test on the 18th, 19th, or 20th before we travel on the 21st. :(

Going to Disney the week of the 14th of November and flying home to WNY on the 21st. Can we get a rapid test in Disney? Or is that not possible? Under the new rules, we would need to test on the 18th, 19th, or 20th before we travel on the 21st. :(

Sorry, I don't know. That's ONE of the questions I have: WHICH kind of COVID test is allowed? Does it matter? Some are more sensitive than others. Is a rapid test allowed? There is a high percentage of false negatives with a rapid test. Is it "within 3 days, or on the third day before? Where are people supposed to get the second test? Is a rapid test okay for that? Are people able to go to one of the free testing sites to get the second test? Is NY going to eat those costs? And why are we? Or do travelers from out of state pay for their own second test?

There has been no press conference announced yet. There is still a possibility for one earluy this afternoon. Otherwise, I'm not sure if we will get the answers today.

Is this only for flying into NY? Where do you do the paperwork if just driving in? What if you are there under 24 hrs? I think that’s what you were allowed previously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter