*o* August Check-In Thread *o*

My husband and I will be there August 11-15. 2 days in the park one day to see the King Tut exhibit. We are from GA so WDW is where we usually go, but I really wanted to see King Tut so we decided to check out DL! The heat shouldnt be an issue, we are used to that kind of heat. We are staying at the Hyatt. Thinking of one sit down dinner, haven't decided where yet

Hey @Aryn! I'm there with my boyfriend the same time! Which Hyatt are you staying at? We're at the Hyatt Regency Orange County/Garden Grove :)
I'm planning for sit down dinner at the Blue Bayou and maybe lunch at Carthay Circle, Cafe Orleans. Napa Rose seems tempting too :O

I just finalized our trip for August! Hot summer heat here I come! Can't wait to celebrate my birthday at the Happiest Place on Earth. I'm thinking either Blue Bayou or Carthay Circle for my birthday dinner. Anyone have any other good ideas?

If you like wine, Wine Country Trattoria. They feature a bunch of wines with Disney connections. It's more casual than Carthay and we usually do it for lunch. I wouldn't do it instead of Blue Bayou, though, just because I love the atmosphere at BB so much.

My favorite place for a special dinner would be Chef's Table at Napa Rose, though! Pricey, but one of the best meals I've ever had. We liked it much better than Carthay because there were too many tired, whiny kids running around Carthay. Go hungry and with plenty of time.

Another birthday splurge would be WOC Dessert Party. Love it. The dessert isn't anything special but the experience is great.

Hi, everyone! My best friend and I just booked our girls weekend trip for August! We're staying at HoJo from August 17-19. It'll be great to hang out with her just the two of us. I haven't spent much time with her since I've moved away five years ago. We've never stayed at the HoJo before, either, so that'll be interesting trying it out. We're both so excited!

I happened to check my flights on the Alaska Air app tonight and it came up saying there was an itinerary change. When I looked they had changed flights and had us landing 2 hours later which would have us landing at 3pm :sad2:

I checked for other flights and there was nothing landing earlier. I was having a minor melt down haha. It I called Alaska and we changed the flight to the night before so we have to take an extra day off work and will arrive a day earlier than the rest of our party but hubby and I can go to the park early the next morning for half a day before they arrive.

Took me an hour and half on the phone but we get an extra park day so that makes it worth the stress tonight :yay:

Wow, good thing you checked! I had something similar happen ... going to Prague in a few weeks, booked our tickets 4 months ago, just happened to check online yesterday and the airline had changed our flight from 8pm to 2pm and I didn't even get a notification! But yay for an extra park day!

Wow, good thing you checked! I had something similar happen ... going to Prague in a few weeks, booked our tickets 4 months ago, just happened to check online yesterday and the airline had changed our flight from 8pm to 2pm and I didn't even get a notification! But yay for an extra park day!

Isn't it weird that there were no notifications, I have had notifications on flights that have changed by 5 or 10 mins before... Phew Good thing we both checked!!! I will be checking every couple weeks from now on lol

Isn't it weird that there were no notifications, I have had notifications on flights that have changed by 5 or 10 mins before... Phew Good thing we both checked!!! I will be checking every couple weeks from now on lol
Are you travelling on the 21st now? Maybe I'll see you at the airport again, except we're flying Westjet.

Hi! We are considering an August trip to DL. It is our first time. I know the advice is to travel before August 20th when the AP blackout lifts. Unfortunately I don't think this will be possible. Is there a difference between going August 22nd - 25th or August 27th to 30th? We plan for hopefully 3 days. We are only concerned about seeing WOC and are willing to do a dining package or dessert party. I assume both dates will be crowded.

Do MM make a real impact during this time of year?

We have been trying to plan a West Coast trip for years and we can't manage to make a the schedule to work out. I am hoping we can this time and I have the attitude of we will see what we can.

Since we are going to be there Aug 26- Sept 1 with a 5 day parkhopper, 1 do you think we need the max pass, there are 4 of us os that is $200 extra, or just one per day for the photos. 2 was planning on going Mon-Fri avoiding sunday due to Choc Walk, but if the fireworks, WOC, Night parade are only on weekends then, is Friday night consider weekend, or would I need to go Sunday?

Since we are going to be there Aug 26- Sept 1 with a 5 day parkhopper, 1 do you think we need the max pass, there are 4 of us os that is $200 extra, or just one per day for the photos. 2 was planning on going Mon-Fri avoiding sunday due to Choc Walk, but if the fireworks, WOC, Night parade are only on weekends then, is Friday night consider weekend, or would I need to go Sunday?

I was going to avoid the parks on the Sunday as well, but that is our last full day and I can't do it ;) We are going to do a Fantasmic dining package that night, and just make it a more relaxed day. ( I say more relaxed day now but I know we will want to do everything we can)

Hi! We are considering an August trip to DL. It is our first time. I know the advice is to travel before August 20th when the AP blackout lifts. Unfortunately I don't think this will be possible. Is there a difference between going August 22nd - 25th or August 27th to 30th? We plan for hopefully 3 days. We are only concerned about seeing WOC and are willing to do a dining package or dessert party. I assume both dates will be crowded. Do MM make a real impact during this time of year?

Schools will be back in for more kids the 27th through 30th, so it may be a little less crowded. We've been that week in the past and didn't think it was all that bad. I always think MM makes a big difference because it gives you the extra hour in the morning when there are fewer people there. Especially this time of year, when the parks won't be open as many hours as they are earlier in August.

Yes, Friday night is considered a weekend.

I was going to avoid the parks on the Sunday as well, but that is our last full day and I can't do it ;) We are going to do a Fantasmic dining package that night, and just make it a more relaxed day. ( I say more relaxed day now but I know we will want to do everything we can)

We've had really good luck in the parks on Sunday mornings, particularly at DL park. Was talking to a CM about this, who said so many people are out late on Saturday nights that Sunday mornings are often not bad at all.

... Is there a difference between going August 22nd - 25th or August 27th to 30th?.. Do MM make a real impact during this time of year?..

I think your earlier dates will give you a better chance at longer hours and the end of the summer schedule. By the last week of the month, Disney should be back to the low season schedule, but that may not have started by your earlier dates. And MM is always helpful at any time of year. Having that extra hour in the morning can really help you get a lot done if you plan well.

...We've had really good luck in the parks on Sunday mornings, particularly at DL park. Was talking to a CM about this, who said so many people are out late on Saturday nights that Sunday mornings are often not bad at all.

The particular Sunday morning in question is August 26th, CHOC Walk Sunday. It will be very crowded with walkers finishing the Walk (14,000 last year) and heading for the ticket booths to get their special discounted tickets, then heading right for the parks. So the normal Sunday morning expectations don't really apply on that day. But it will be a very fun day for those walking and a very special morning for anyone watching the walkers hit the finish line in DTD.

Thanks all! I am leaning towards the earlier dates but it sounds like either could work.

The particular Sunday morning in question is August 26th, CHOC Walk Sunday. It will be very crowded with walkers finishing the Walk (14,000 last year) and heading for the ticket booths to get their special discounted tickets, then heading right for the parks. So the normal Sunday morning expectations don't really apply on that day. But it will be a very fun day for those walking and a very special morning for anyone watching the walkers hit the finish line in DTD.

Do you know off hand what time the walk starts and finishes? I love that this is such a great fundraiser, might be fun to watch the finish.

Do you know off hand what time the walk starts and finishes? I love that this is such a great fundraiser, might be fun to watch the finish.

Opening ceremony for the Walk is on Main Street around 6 am, and the Walk has to finish before park opening. Walkers will be pouring into DTD across the finish line after 8 am, I would think. We are usually done around 9 am (and we're slow because we stop for all the photo ops!). If you watch the finish line, bring tissues. One year, the DJ stopped the entire Walk so that a little girl could cross the line all by herself for the first time on her own two feet. She had been doing the Walk for several years (first in a wheelchair, then on crutches, then with a walker, etc.), but the first year she actually walked across that finish line... there wasn't a dry eye at the scene!

Opening ceremony for the Walk is on Main Street around 6 am, and the Walk has to finish before park opening. Walkers will be pouring into DTD across the finish line after 8 am, I would think. We are usually done around 9 am (and we're slow because we stop for all the photo ops!). If you watch the finish line, bring tissues. One year, the DJ stopped the entire Walk so that a little girl could cross the line all by herself for the first time on her own two feet. She had been doing the Walk for several years (first in a wheelchair, then on crutches, then with a walker, etc.), but the first year she actually walked across that finish line... there wasn't a dry eye at the scene!

Thank you, Brings tears to my eyes reading it!!

Hey @Aryn! I'm there with my boyfriend the same time! Which Hyatt are you staying at? We're at the Hyatt Regency Orange County/Garden Grove :)
I'm planning for sit down dinner at the Blue Bayou and maybe lunch at Carthay Circle, Cafe Orleans. Napa Rose seems tempting too :O

We are at the Hyatt Place on Harbor Blvd. It looks really close and I am hoping we can walk. Are you getting the maxpass? I am undecided. I think we should but my husband says it's a waste of money. I am leaning towards Carthay Circle myself.

Hi all forgot to mention we are at the paradise pier! Hoping for an upgrade to a park view room since it’s our anniversary! Coming up soon for dining reservations and so far the only request from my family is Ralph Brennan’s.

Hi there! We are WDW vets, but we are going to DL for the very first time in August! We fly in to SNA on August 13, and are staying one night at the Springhill Suites Maingate, and then transferring to the DLH for the remainder of our stay. We'll be in the parks on August 14, 15, & 16, and then we fly home on the 17th. My DH, DS 16 and DS 14 and I are really excited to give DL a try! So glad to part of the August check in thread!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter