Observation at Shanghai Disney

Lisann

Thank you Walt
I just recently saw this video of a complete walk-through of Shanghai Disney.

According to the current stats on overweight and obesity in the US, more than 2 in 3 adults are considered to be overweight or obese, quoted from this source: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...tics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx

The stats are alarming to say the least.

As I watched this video, something seemed off. It dawned on me that not one person in this video would be considered overweight...all were average or thin. And there were no ECVs anywhere. It was almost surreal. Literally no one overweight. There were thousands of people in this video, too. I only saw one (empty) wheelchair.

This is such a testament to healthy eating (as a regular course of diet). I am not bringing this up to judge anyone, so please don't throw tomatoes. :duck: I am just starting on my journey to lose 20 to 25 pounds.

Fish, vegetables, healthy foods, etc., on a day-to-day basis...these things really do make a difference. You can see it plain as day right on the screen.

It was amazing to see. Just thought I would share.

Last edited:
I'm definitely of the school of thought that our American processed foods, HFCS, high carb and huge portions have played a major role in our country's obesity epidemic. I take ownership, just as you do, for my role in my overweight status. it's just so sad

I'm definitely of the school of thought that our American processed foods, HFCS, high carb and huge portions have played a major role in our country's obesity epidemic. I take ownership, just as you do, for my role in my overweight status. it's just so sad

Yes, it is. And we used to have, in this country, 8-inch dinner plates, which are now 10, 11 and 12-inch dinner plates. 8 oz colas were the norm...now they are 64 oz. It's all around us.

I was there last week and noticed the same thing - didn't see one ECV in the park which was kind of crazy. I only saw a handful of people who had a few extra pounds. I was in China for two weeks and ate much healthier there than I do here in the U.S. Hoping this will spark a change in my diet now that I'm back. I just wish I could have a personal chef since cooking is not my forte... at all!

I just recently saw this video of a complete walk-through of Shanghai Disney.

According to the current stats on overweight and obesity in the US, more than 2 in 3 adults are considered to be overweight or obese, quoted from this source: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-in...tics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx

The stats are alarming to say the least.

As I watched this video, something seemed off. It dawned on me that not one person in this video would be considered overweight...all were average or thin. And there were no ECVs anywhere. It was almost surreal. Literally no one overweight. There were thousands of people in this video, too. I only saw one (empty) wheelchair.

This is such a testament to healthy eating (as a regular course of diet). I am not bringing this up to judge anyone, so please don't throw tomatoes. :duck: I am just starting on my journey to lose 20 to 25 pounds.

Fish, vegetables, healthy foods, etc., on a day-to-day basis...these things really do make a difference. You can see it plain as day right on the screen.

It was amazing to see. Just thought I would share.

My mom needs an ECV at Disney because the excessive amount of walking and standing take a toll on her back. A herniated disk from a volleyball accident in high school. She doesn't need the ECV because of obesity.

Just saying: ECV does not equal obese/overweight.

The way the OP worded it is all one jumble as if they go hand in hand.

They often do but there are many cases where other health issues necessitate their use, which is good to point out. I remember being surprised as we were walking through the SDL park - there weren't even that many strollers like there are at the U.S. parks. It made walking around much easier but I remember wondering if they don't have as many options for people there like ECV, wheelchair, and stroller rentals. Or if the population there is just generally healthier. Not sure.

it looks so pretty. There is a lot of negative buzz in the media about it, it's nice to see happy people and pretty park

The way the OP worded it is all one jumble as if they go hand in hand.

They often do but there are many cases where other health issues necessitate their use...... Or if the population there is just generally healthier. Not sure.
Of course I realize there are other health issues that necessitate an ECV.

Obesity is a health issue, too and a major one in this country. And it does, in some cases, necessitate the need for an ECV.

I didn't post this to judge anyone. The video was actually positive and encouraging to me and that's why I shared.

Just a statement of how eating smaller quantities of really healthy food really does make a difference. And this video smacks you in the face with that theory, played out in a way that you can truly see the difference.

It truly is shocking how little ecv's/strollers/wheelchairs there are in the Asia parks, it was so nice to be able to venture around them and not be clocked in the heels by anything!!

It's also good to point out that in both Japan & China, many people use public transportation, there's a LOT more walking, most of their train stations have stairs, no escalators, so you're going up and down large flights multiple times a day. Fresh food is much more prominent, lots of seafood, lots of unprocessed stuff. Heck, one day we ordered Dominos in Japan and it just tasted BETTER, less greasy & we weren't feeling icky afterwards! High fructose corn syrup is definitely a problem in the States, even as a Canadian I found it a struggle to avoid things with it when I lived in the US!

It truly is shocking how little ecv's/strollers/wheelchairs there are in the Asia parks, it was so nice to be able to venture around them and not be clocked in the heels by anything!!

It's also good to point out that in both Japan & China, many people use public transportation, there's a LOT more walking, most of their train stations have stairs, no escalators, so you're going up and down large flights multiple times a day. Fresh food is much more prominent, lots of seafood, lots of unprocessed stuff. Heck, one day we ordered Dominos in Japan and it just tasted BETTER, less greasy & we weren't feeling icky afterwards! High fructose corn syrup is definitely a problem in the States, even as a Canadian I found it a struggle to avoid things with it when I lived in the US!

High fructose corn syrup, and even corn syrup (both due to health reasons AND digestive problems they cause) make it extremely difficult to vacation or just go out to eat in the United States (I say this as a citizen). And, some people feel it's okay in moderation -- fine. But they both cause digestion issues for me. HFCS is an added sugar in an added sugar. A lot of people don't pay attention. A lot of people do. The more people who pay attention, ask for those ingredients that *are* available, and simply just say no (what you have to do is say no), the better off we all will be. Eating healthy is very expensive, and it shouldn't be.

I grew up in Asia. I am from a country that LOVES food and the common joke is that we eat every 2-3 hours. Even though I was not a skinny minnie and I liked my food, there was not a chance I could ever finish a portion at say Chilli's. My friends and I used to walk out groaning in physical pain from eating too much (and still not be able to finish our food).

After I moved to Canada, my stomach quickly expanded and now I can easily pack it away! Its a lot of work now to reduce my stomach size and change my eating habits :(

I agree. The processed foods are terrible. I have also been trying to watch my sugar intake. I had a health scare and was diagnosed with Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver. Apparently, this disease is booming in our society, even among children.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!