October 2020 Car Rental Thread

Current resv was made through Auto Slash with Hertz for a van
Pick up Melbourne (MLB) 9/26
Drop off MCO 10/14
Total 836.37

I did not try any of the contracts/coupons. I am going to check the rates this AM. Does the upgrade work for a SUV category, do you get upgraded to the large SUV? We need to be able to seat 5 plus luggage for 5 so a regular SUV will not work for us. I have AAA, AP, Sam's, BJ's online only, most credit cards and membership to all rental and airline clubs.

How do you all tackle checking for the best deal? Auto Slash is so easy but I am willing to put more effort into it for potential savings. Thanks!

never flew into MLB assume it’s smaller than MCO. Would call that hertz location directly and ask

coupons terms usually very clearly stated. U can look up your reservation made thru auto slash on hertz website to find out what coupon code was utilized.

Then, you can determine what classes qualify for upgrade via google search. Can’t say I’ve ever seen any Coupon that cover upgrades from premium to suv or van, not to say it doesn’t happen.

the class you booked will indicate maximum number of passengers & bags (sometimes indicated as large & small)

I did not try any of the contracts/coupons. I am going to check the rates this AM. Does the upgrade work for a SUV category, do you get upgraded to the large SUV? We need to be able to seat 5 plus luggage for 5 so a regular SUV will not work for us. I have AAA, AP, Sam's, BJ's online only, most credit cards and membership to all rental and airline clubs.

How do you all tackle checking for the best deal? Auto Slash is so easy but I am willing to put more effort into it for potential savings. Thanks!
Did you check all of the appropriate boxes on Autoslash when you got the quote? If you did all that the only other things that could get you a better deal would be if you had a corporate code or group code that isn't available to the general public. I set up an alert on Autoslash that usually saves me a bit of money between the time I plan and book and when I travel.

never flew into MLB assume it’s smaller than MCO. Would call that hertz location directly and ask

coupons terms usually very clearly stated. U can look up your reservation made thru auto slash on hertz website to find out what coupon code was utilized.

Then, you can determine what classes qualify for upgrade via google search. Can’t say I’ve ever seen any Coupon that cover upgrades from premium to suv or van, not to say it doesn’t happen.

the class you booked will indicate maximum number of passengers & bags (sometimes indicated as large & small)
Ah, I didn't know that, good to know. I assume they will not let you modify that resv to change the codes with the locked in rate? I checked and all the rates were well over my existing quote.

Did you check all of the appropriate boxes on Autoslash when you got the quote? If you did all that the only other things that could get you a better deal would be if you had a corporate code or group code that isn't available to the general public. I set up an alert on Autoslash that usually saves me a bit of money between the time I plan and book and when I travel.
I did check everything I qualify for, thanks for confirming that it actually matters. I never noticed where they made a difference. Can you activate an alert without booking or would I have to make a dummy resv for the same time to make it work? I don't recall seeing that option. The rates have doubled so I won't get my hopes up. One of the reasons I changed to MLB over MCO for the flight down was it saved me over $400 on rental over flying into MCO. I have a feeling the MCO rates may continue to drop as the time gets closer where MLB will likely go up since it is a small airport. I didn't really think of that potential when I changed my flight from MCO to MLB. :(

I did check everything I qualify for, thanks for confirming that it actually matters. I never noticed where they made a difference. Can you activate an alert without booking or would I have to make a dummy resv for the same time to make it work? I don't recall seeing that option. The rates have doubled so I won't get my hopes up. One of the reasons I changed to MLB over MCO for the flight down was it saved me over $400 on rental over flying into MCO. I have a feeling the MCO rates may continue to drop as the time gets closer where MLB will likely go up since it is a small airport. I didn't really think of that potential when I changed my flight from MCO to MLB. :(
You actually have to set up an alert after you've booked. Once you're booked go back to Autoslash and on the main page change the tab to "Track a Rental for price drops" Put in all of the information and they will send you an email whenever the price goes down. You can specify companies to include or exclude.

Just as a heads up. I went to change my Hertz booking and the deal Autoslash found had expired. After the talk here about the discount codes I went to look at mine to see what it was. According to Hertz my rental is $130 more than what I agreed to on Autoslash through Priceline. I have an email in to Hertz and we'll see what they say. I may be trying one of the off brand off airport places if Hertz is going to charge me $450 for 5 days compared to $150 from Routes.

You actually have to set up an alert after you've booked. Once you're booked go back to Autoslash and on the main page change the tab to "Track a Rental for price drops" Put in all of the information and they will send you an email whenever the price goes down. You can specify companies to include or exclude.

Just as a heads up. I went to change my Hertz booking and the deal Autoslash found had expired. After the talk here about the discount codes I went to look at mine to see what it was. According to Hertz my rental is $130 more than what I agreed to on Autoslash through Priceline. I have an email in to Hertz and we'll see what they say. I may be trying one of the off brand off airport places if Hertz is going to charge me $450 for 5 days compared to $150 from Routes.
Yikes, had you confirmed it? My email confirmation indicates the offer is good through midnight on my arrival day 9/26. I'm afraid to go to the Hertz site now to see what the confirmation indicates I ran another search this AM to see if the price dropped. It had gone up $500 for the van and the SUV was $2500. I'm going to see what MCO prices are doing, I think I can change my flight back to arriving at MCO without a change fee.

went to change my Hertz booking and the deal Autoslash found had expired. After the talk here about the discount codes I went to look at mine to see what it was. According to Hertz my rental is $130 more than what I agreed to on Autoslash through Priceline.
I’ve not been able to successfully make any sort of modifications to their (auto slash, car rental savers) car rental reservations As to pickup times Or codes once booked

I was suggesting you find the codes used and try to replicate or improve it via using different codes yourself, but via a new reservation. Then cancel any you won’t be using

haven’t heard of a vendor not honoring the terms of a confirmed reservation Booked thru auto slash or car savers

I have National at the car care center Oct 21-28 (one week) at $236. I like to get insurance waivers but that would double the cost so I will print by insurance binder page and take my chances.

I have National at the car care center Oct 21-28 (one week) at $236. I like to get insurance waivers but that would double the cost so I will print by insurance binder page and take my chances.
That’s a very good rate for National! What codes did you use?

That’s a very good rate for National! What codes did you use?
Not OP, but I was just able to replicate it for my dates. I went to the specials page under the reserve tab and clicked the "$20 Off Weekly Base Rate" and using 5007150 for the account number (which is Austin/AECOM). The account number code includes a loss damage waiver and adding up to 9 drivers. $236.95 for 8 days for the emerald aisle. Good luck!

I have similar rate with alamo using costco/one free upgrade 160 plus taxes came out 235.
I'm curious on the last minute rates as it gets closer
Me too! I probably go first here, mine starts on 9/26. Did get alamo for the 10 days standard for $266 on Sunday evening (DVC & upgrade coupon).

What’s hurting is paying $25 for each extra day ugh

Me too! I probably go first here, mine starts on 9/26. Did get alamo for the 10 days standard for $266 on Sunday evening (DVC & upgrade coupon).

What’s hurting is paying $25 for each extra day ugh
The taxes are a killer..
I had a discount rate off site at a lesser known company for half the price. They have a mandatory insurance fee and take a 500 deposit.. so in going to keep my alamo res. ($56 a week plus 24.99 a day nextcar)

Last edited:
Got a reply from Hertz, it's a very good thing I checked. Hertz raised my rate by $100 for a five day rental and would not have told me until I picked up the car. I got a good drop today from Autoslash so I was going to cancel the res anyway and rebook at $240 for an Equinox with a AAA rate so I get an extra driver for free. Much better than the Nissan Rogue I had for $325.

Rates for my dates are showing a sizeable increase today. More than $40 more than the reservation im currently holding.

What goes up, must come down......right? :rolleyes:

Rates for my dates are showing a sizeable increase today. More than $40 more than the reservation im currently holding.

What goes up, must come down......right? :rolleyes:
I've been seeing the same thing for about a week now....rates increasing. I'm thinking we may have peaked and what we have booked now might be as good as it gets. Hope I'm wrong though. With no RAC this year I need a bigger vehicle so I'm hoping for one more decent drop.

Not OP, but I was just able to replicate it for my dates. I went to the specials page under the reserve tab and clicked the "$20 Off Weekly Base Rate" and using 5007150 for the account number (which is Austin/AECOM). The account number code includes a loss damage waiver and adding up to 9 drivers. $236.95 for 8 days for the emerald aisle. Good luck!
I was just able to book National for 8 days using this code for $222.38 in the emerald aisle. Thanks for this info, it was $115 cheaper than the Alamo rate I had. Just to be sure, I do not need to present any sort of ID for this code do I?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter