Off to WDW for 10 days and need help!

mmccue

Earning My Ears
My problem is this: I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis right before Halloween and it has gradually worsened in the last few weeks. I'm doing the night splint/drugs/ordered custom orthotics, etc. and now my problem is what to do on our 10-day trip that starts the day after Christmas! My DH says he will push me in a wheelchair, but we usually do 8-9 miles a day while we're there! My 9-yr-old DD is already fed up with mom and the fact that she "can't do anything" and I don't want to NOT be able to do all the usual things.

I would like to rent one of the electric units, but I'm not sure how they work and how long before I'd have to recharge it. Plus, I don't "look" like I've got a problem and I don't want anyone to get the idea I'm "faking".

I would appreciate any advice I can get on this issue!! THANKS!::MinnieMo

Welcome to disABILITES!

First of all, use of an ECV (or scooter) is preferable to a wheelchair. It gives you the mobility you need and you do not need to have someone pushing you. Although they are generally not noticeable, there ARE hills in WDW that are especially noticeable in or pushing a wheelchair. Also this gives you husband more ability to keep track of your son.

I will give rental information further down. Note that most units have a 25 mile range on a full charge. Generally it is very rare for a person to do more than ten miles in a day. Normally you would plug the charger into the wall in your room and plug in the ECV overnight.

If you have a WalMart or large grocery store nearby, they have "loaner" ECVs for use in the store. This will give you a basic idea about them. Learning to use them is as easy as learning to fall off a bicycle. Note that the ones in the stores are slower, larger, and much less maneuverable than the rentals (primarily due to having four wheels instead of three and also large grocery baskets on the).

As far as opinions of others -- IGNORE THEM! You, and the people you are with, realize you have a problem. Your use of the ECV not only improves the quality of YOUR vacation, but will also improve that of the people with you as you will not be holding them back.

Here is the information on rentals.

Walker Mobility:
1-888-726-6837
www.walkermobility.com

Care Medical:
http://www.caremedicalequipment.com/
Phone (407) 856-2273, Toll Free U.S and Canada (800) 741-2282

RANDY'S Mobility is in Kissimmee
407-892-4777
http://randysmobility.com/

Colonial Medical
http://www.colonialmed.com/about_cms.html
(800)747-0246

I have used Walker a few times. They will ask for a credit card and charge it the day before arrival. They will deliver the ECV to your hotel bell services before your arrival and pick it up there after your departure. Their rates, especially for longer than a week, are much better than Disney's. Also, their scooters are much better.

You don't say if you are renting a car or what. If you are using a car for getting around, the ECVs break down into five pieces, the heaviest about 39 pounds. They take about a minute or so to take apart and about two minutes (once you are used to it) to put it together.

Another suggestion is find out your state's requirements for a temporary disabled hang tag and get the paper work and have your doctor sign off on it. The tag will allow you to use any of the handicap parking areas (which will be a necessity). Also, with the policy of charging for valet parking, with a handicap hang tag the fees will be waived. Also the valets will usually volunteer to assist in loading/unloading an ECV. In Virginia I printed the required form from the DMV website. When I took the completed form to the DMV Office it took less than 15 minutes from the time I walked in until I had my tag.

Pricing is $30.00 per day renting from Disney, plus a $10.00 refundable key deposit. However availability is on a first-come, first served basis and you can't take the ECV out of the park. Walker is also $30 per day, but it cuts off at $199.50 for a week and then the price goes down from there. Your total price from Walker would be about $275 (but don't quote me on that). Care and Colonial are about the same. Randy's is less expensive, but you have to be physically present to accept the ECV and also be there when they pick it up; the others will work with Bell Services at your hotel.

A couple of minor items to consider. You will become invisible to everyone not in your party. People will direct questions about you to your husband (or son) and not to you. Prepare them for this; their response should automatically be "Why don't you ask her". Also, you may become a Sherpa, not only with items in the basket but sometimes also hanging from the handlebars (make sure they don't get in the way of the control) and even on the floorboards.

One last item on this post. If someone does comment, you can pleasantly tell them that you are more than willing to allow them to use the ECV if they will also accept the pain and disability that goes with it.

Anyway, ask more questions as needed; the regulars here are more than willing to assist.

Mike

The worst comment I had directed at me while using the ECV was by a little boy who said,"I wish I was old then I could use one of those!" I laughed back at him " I'm not old!" What do you care what someone you will never see again thinks about you? Do what you need to make sure your FAMILY has a good time. I love my ECV. I go everywhere and do just about everything on one overnight charge. I plug the ECV in when we return to the room for the day charge it while we're sleeping and its ready to go in the morning. I've done Early admission and two more parks and Ulliminations on one charge. I have used Walker Medical the last 5 trips with great service.
Have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter