Official 2018 Star Wars Dark Side Weekend

Question... I know some may not care so much about time when doing the Challenges, but if I am running the 5k and 10k (I will go at a very easy pace), how much slower does it actually make you for the Half? Have you felt stronger fatigue when doing Challenges in the past? I am interested to hear tips about strategy for running long distances back-to-back days.
Last year for Darkside I ran the 5k & 10k at my normal pace but stopped a ton for pictures, characeters, mile markers 10k 501st, random stuff. Stopping for pictures provided enough rest breaks that by running my normal pace I wasn't dead at the end or ruined for the half. Then for the half I wasn't off the pace I wanted until the last couple miles, the humidity in April got to me a little more than the previous 2 races. I'm always a little stiff at first on multiple race weekends, but once I get going I'm fine Like, everyone else said training back to back days helps get you ready, I run 6 days (sometimes only 5) a week so my legs know tired. Now fatigue as in falling alseep earlier at night, yes definitly. Last year I'm pretty sure the night before the half I fell asleep like at 6:30/7:00 easily, we always get up early enough to get the earliest bus so that fatigue was there causing early bedtimes, but that was good so I good a full nights sleep.

Just thought of a medal design that would (for me at least), be awesome...Han in Carbonite, it would work with the dark side...maybe Boba Fett on the other side of it.
The Boba Fett helmet in full color would be an incredible looking medal. We're talking serious medal envy for those who couldn't earn it.

Reactions: maw

What happens if I have limited success in dragging an 8 and 10 year old out of bed in a timely fashion and we are past 5:30am in arriving?

Not sure people if this site is reputable but says we can’t get FP for Toy Story for a bit and timing falls over race weekend.

http://www.kennythepirate.com/2018/...will-not-offer-fastpass-parts-april-may-2018/

We didn’t do Studios during Marathon weekend to do AK twice and were looking forward to FP+ toy story in April.....
I read that rumor someplace else. The ride will be open, but it won't have fastness available because of construction if it's accurate. The source was a CM.

What happens if I have limited success in dragging an 8 and 10 year old out of bed in a timely fashion and we are past 5:30am in arriving?
A whole lot of bad things can happen in this scenario. At some point, the on property Disney buses stop going to the starting line and instead head to the finish line. If you're driving, then you would drive to Epcot where the finish line and then have to catch a bus to the starting line assuming it is not at Epcot. Last year the 10K and Half started at the Magic Kingdom parking lot. There are all sorts of traffic snarls and changes on a race day because of the how they have to route traffic. I have heard stories about runners scrambling to make the start line because they got on the very last bus from a resort and it got stuck in traffic at runDisney events. Last year there were over 16,000 finishers for the half. That number is finishers only. It does not count include anyone who was swept for whatever reason.

Gear check closes down before the start of the race if I remember correctly. So if you needed to check gear and you're late, you're either leaving it or running with it.

Honestly, do whatever you need to do get them up early and out the door on time. Anything else is low/no reward and very high risk.

Honestly, do whatever you need to do get them up early and out the door on time. Anything else is low/no reward and very high risk.
^Yep, this. For 5:30am starts for 5K and 10K races, buses stop running at 4am, 3:30am for half-marathons starting at 5:30. So you need to be on a bus by then to even get to the race. They also close access to corrals, so if you arrive past 5:30, it's very possible you will not be allowed to start at all.

Long time Disney goer. First time Disney runner.

I am running the half. It will be my first ever half. I’m not looking to break any records. My goal is to finish. I’m training. I have done multiple 10k, but this is my first half. I want to enjoy the atmosphere, otherwise I could do any half close to home.

I’m really trying to get a grasp on pre-race race day. I want to know what happens between 3am and start time. I don’t want to be running hectic just trying to get there but I also don’t want to get there so early that I sit around in the parking lot for two hours.

Long time Disney goer. First time Disney runner.

I am running the half. It will be my first ever half. I’m not looking to break any records. My goal is to finish. I’m training. I have done multiple 10k, but this is my first half. I want to enjoy the atmosphere, otherwise I could do any half close to home.

I’m really trying to get a grasp on pre-race race day. I want to know what happens between 3am and start time. I don’t want to be running hectic just trying to get there but I also don’t want to get there so early that I sit around in the parking lot for two hours.
Lots of standing (or sitting) around. You go through bag check or no bag check line, then you walk to where there's a stage & DJ and characters are setup. Dark Side had like 6 setups you can wait in line for a photo to meet Darth Vader, kylo Ren, BB-8, Jabba, Boba, I'm forgetting the rest from last year. Those lines can get long, especially Vader, so you could be easily waiting 30+ minutes just for a character before. Then about an hour before the race, so 4:30 I think, the corral area opens and you can go stand/sit in your corral. Or I like to get in a porta pot line, go, then get in line again and go, then enter my corral about 5:15ish. Porta Pot lines themselves can be slow and eat a time easily as well. So, yes, lots of waiting but for me it usually goes by quick. If you aren't interested in characters you could aim for a little later to arrive. I still like getting there early though just because I'm an early bird & don't want to be fretting about delays in buses since I take the bus. It's a fun atmposphere beforehand as well and lots of costumes/outfits to see by other runners.

My friend and I just signed up today for the Half and we wanted to sign her son up for the Kids Races, but they're all sold out. Does anyone know how to get a bib for those?

@cavepig nailed it - it really is a lot of sitting/standing/walking/waiting. Just the nature of a big race! My pre-race mornings usually go like this:
drive to race
walk from car to start area
get in line for a character pic if the wait isn't too long
find where my running group is meeting up - hang there for a while
get in porta-potty line - potty
head into corral

I always feel like the time passes quickly!

Yeah there's no way around the waiting part. The character photo ops are a great way to pass the time though. I usually do a few of those and read kindle books on my iphone.

I am signed up for the half on Sunday, I am staying at the Polynesian, if when the race course is announced the starting line is at the transportation center could I arrive a little later since I would be walking over maybe leave hotel at 5am? Also when is race course usually announced?

This is my first disney race any pointers for my wife who is just coming to watch....
thanks Jim

First time doing any of the Disney races. I read at least one place that kids don't need to be present to pick up their own bibs for the kid race. Can anyone confirm that? As far as picking up the bibs, I found the pick up hours at the RunDisney Health & Fitness Expo but do the buses run from all the hotels that Thursday - Saturday? Or is that just for the actual race days?

As far as picking up the bibs, I found the pick up hours at the RunDisney Health & Fitness Expo but do the buses run from all the hotels that Thursday - Saturday? Or is that just for the actual race days?
Charter Buses run from hotels to WWoS also busses usually run from WWoS to Disney Springs

I am signed up for the half on Sunday, I am staying at the Polynesian, if when the race course is announced the starting line is at the transportation center could I arrive a little later since I would be walking over maybe leave hotel at 5am? Also when is race course usually announced?

This is my first disney race any pointers for my wife who is just coming to watch....
thanks Jim

In the past walking from hotels was not allowed.

thanks Jim

Even if you can walk don’t wait till 5am. That is way too close to time. Give yourself plenty of time. It is a huge race.

In the past walking from hotels was not allowed.
I believe last year for Dark Side with the way the course was, they did allow people to walk from the Poly. I agree that leaving at 5 would be cutting it close. I think I remember hearing that it was a long walk too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!