*****Official April 2020 thread*****

Perhaps, but my point is that having been there recently, people should be aware that the experience is not 'land at WDW and forget the rest' because it's impossible. Since everyone is different, it's important that everyone in the traveling party feel comfortable with the experience. I know I've processed things differently than my spouse.
A valid point, and something everyone should consider on their trips going forward. Its the new normal.

I just think it is 100% ridiculous and unprofessional that Disney will not come out and actually SAY that they will be closed longer. It leaves people wondering, hoping, speculating and so much more. But here they are continuing to not tell us and are waiting for what they see as the "perfect" time to tell us.

I just think it is 100% ridiculous and unprofessional that Disney will not come out and actually SAY that they will be closed longer. It leaves people wondering, hoping, speculating and so much more. But here they are continuing to not tell us and are waiting for what they see as the "perfect" time to tell us.
How everything will happen with the virus is speculative, and even thought is frustrating, its truly a week to week and day to day thing. I'm sure Disney, like all businesses, don't want to be closed longer than they have to be. I would not be surprised if they announce closure in 1 or 2 week increments going forward.

How everything will happen with the virus is speculative, and even thought is frustrating, its truly a week to week and day to day thing. I'm sure Disney, like all businesses, don't want to be closed longer than they have to be. I would not be surprised if they announce closure in 1 or 2 week increments going forward.

They probably will. However, it's not great for those with trips planned next Tuesday/Wednesday (FWIW, we don't). Disney knows they are unable to open April 1 with the county mandates (the county even came out and said they can't open). At least say, hey we can't open until April 8th at the earliest or, we can't open until April 19th at the earliest but this is all subject to extension, based on state and local health officials. Don't come out March 31st and say we are extending it at this point. Nothing is changing in 4 days. Disney should know that. You've got people coming in from all sorts of "hot spots". They can't have this spreading through people at the parks.

They probably will. However, it's not great for those with trips planned next Tuesday/Wednesday (FWIW, we don't). Disney knows they are unable to open April 1 with the county mandates (the county even came out and said they can't open). At least say, hey we can't open until April 8th at the earliest or, we can't open until April 19th at the earliest but this is all subject to extension, based on state and local health officials. Don't come out March 31st and say we are extending it at this point. Nothing is changing in 4 days. Disney should know that. You've got people coming in from all sorts of "hot spots". They can't have this spreading through people at the parks.
Yes, that is what I'm saying. I get not being able to say a "real" date for opening but some people are possibly planning on going next week and Disney knows they won't be open. Just say it though!

Your guess is as good as mine! I can only assume its because so many people have cancelled or postponed, which I believe automatically cancels their FPs when the changes are made.

That is good to see you were able to re-schedule. I am still on the fence about changing our trip. We're supposed to arrive April19, the day after Disney said they're paying their employees till. I may call while I am home this weekend, even though I'll be on hold forever, to see what availability they have for May or Sept.

Finally officially cancelled our trip today. Looks like I'll be spending my 40th birthday at home. But there are worse things, and we'll see Minnie and Mickey in 2021 for my 41st instead!

That is good to see you were able to re-schedule. I am still on the fence about changing our trip. We're supposed to arrive April19, the day after Disney said they're paying their employees till. I may call while I am home this weekend, even though I'll be on hold forever, to see what availability they have for May or Sept.
I had luck getting right through first thing in the morning on a weekday. I had a bounceback offer booked, but had no issue with availability getting what I wanted within the bounceback. Good luck!

Oh wow my trip is 4/29-5/5. I had an AP discount. I just checked changing my dates to Sept and the same room is almost $200 more a night! So if I cancel I will not rebook as there are no applicable discounts. The free dining offer isn’t practical for us as you are still paying rack room rates and have to purchase tix. My AP expires soon and not planning to renew at current rates.

Finally officially cancelled our trip today. Looks like I'll be spending my 40th birthday at home. But there are worse things, and we'll see Minnie and Mickey in 2021 for my 41st instead!
I feel ya....same here.... I was going to be there early April when I turned 40 too. 😭

So I haven't canceled yet and I know that we cannot go until October anyway. I'm really hoping they will extend the free dining. My final payment was due yesterday We are Canadian but I saw Trump extended the start up until June so I'm thinking Disney may need to change the offer. What does everyone else think?? Or should I just cancel and get my money back??

So I haven't canceled yet and I know that we cannot go until October anyway. I'm really hoping they will extend the free dining. My final payment was due yesterday We are Canadian but I saw Trump extended the start up until June so I'm thinking Disney may need to change the offer. What does everyone else think?? Or should I just cancel and get my money back??

He extended the Federal recommendations for social distancing through the end of April. He suggested that things might be getting back to normal by June 1. As to the rest of your thoughts, I just have no idea at this point. I think this free dining offer is just the opening salvo to a string of discounts they will need to roll out over time.

We are Canadian but I saw Trump extended the start up until June so I'm thinking Disney may need to change the offer.

I'm not sure where you saw that, but it's not true. First, the state and local govt have more of an impact in regard to what policies are in place for people and businesses. Second, while he's acknowledged the idea that things can "open up" by Easter is not realistic, I believe he's only looking at April.

I'd call Disney.

I'm not sure where you saw that, but it's not true. First, the state and local govt have more of an impact in regard to what policies are in place for people and businesses. Second, while he's acknowledged the idea that things can "open up" by Easter is not realistic, I believe he's only looking at April.

I'd call Disney.

Yesterday he extended the official federal recommendation to the end of April. It's an extension of their original 15 days which began 2 weeks ago. So they're basically tacking on another month to that original plan. He acknowledged that the Easter thing was just an aspiration and at this point we're hoping things will have peaked by the end of April. He also said he's hoping things will be getting back to normal by around June 1 (or this will be mostly behind us by then, something along those lines).

EDIT: But you are definitely correct that states and local municipalities have far more control over specifically what is open or closed within their jurisdictions.

I would say cancel and get your money back. I think if they changed the offer, which could happen, then you can rebook. On the current offer it's for cancellations March 16 - May 31st so I would say if they did release a new offer extending the offer dates you'd have a good chance at getting a deal.

So I still have a reservation for April 17 - April 22. I sent an email to UT asking about trying to cancel but they're so overwhelmed that I only got an automated response saying they're overwhelmed with calls and unless my travel date is within 7 days don't call. Then I got another email from them saying my dates might be impacted and if they were they would automatically cancel my reservation and refund my money. Since Disney is now officially closed through April 18th I'm wondering if they will automatically cancel. Anyone else have a similar experience with undercover tourist?

One more day and we are on the clock! 😥

We originally were scheduled to go 4/16-4/23 and we’ve been noticing our fast passes and ADRs disappear. We are now up to 4/19.

We got our tickets through UT. It sounds like they will be automatically extended through the end of the year but they haven’t yet. I’m going to wait until we are within 7 days of the original arrival date to check with them. We are rebooking for next April so we aren’t canceling them outright.

We also booked through David’s and their site says to just wait as well and they will contact us. I have to say I’ve been pretty happy with all of theses places’ customer service! When we booked this trip, this was the first time we didn’t go through Disney directly for rooms and tickets and then all of this happens.

Officially switched our flights form 4/25-5/1 to 10/24-11/1. We were looking forward to a spring trip since we've been to WDW or DLR in September the last two years, but these new dates cover both of our birthdays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter