*** Official August 2020 thread ***

All schools that are not already closes in Illinois are starting Tuesday till end of March. My son goes to CPS (Chicago Public Schools). Spring break is from 4/6-4/10, so I am going to plan that schools will be closed till after break. Since many students do not have access to computer, let alone internet, the schools will be sending home paper packets. My sister is a teacher and gave me a site that gives a list of all the educational programs on Netflix, homeschool Hideout. My son is hoping that this will be a time he can just play video games, watch YouTube and such. We told him otherwise, he was not happy.
I work from home except one day a week. I work for a Veterinary University in the registrar department. Students/Alumni still need documents sent out via standard mail, so I volunteered to go in the office on my day for one hour to send mail. Yes, in this day and age we still have to manually send standard mail.... Most of the docs we have to send standard mail are forms to the various state license boards so our students/alumni can get their licenses to practice.
Unfortunately, now one else volunteered....
In these times, we sill need to keep our standard way of life flowing. so for all of you that are still working with the general public, THANK YOU!!

Here is another site from my sister for science lessons based on grade: Mystery Science.
Admins, let me know if this is not right to post this info here. I am just thinking of my fellow August travelers who have kids home due to closures. ♥

Mayor finally officially closed NYC public schools until 4/20 when Spring Break ends.

So for folks who have already gone during this time, I'm debating changing my late april trip to a lateish august trip (Aug 11-18th or later). Any experience with how "crowded" it is along with your typical heat/humidity conditions. I have family members who are kind of battling me over it thinking it'd be overcrowded and way too hot, but my argument is more that I can schedule in more rest days with an august trip where we relax by the pool and take it easy vs what i can do over our current trip.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: NVM saw the post previously about crowd levels. Sorry i'm considering rescheduling into some your vacation times! Just how it is right now with the uncertainty!

Reactions: rlk
So for folks who have already gone during this time, I'm debating changing my late april trip to a lateish august trip (Aug 11-18th or later). Any experience with how "crowded" it is along with your typical heat/humidity conditions. I have family members who are kind of battling me over it thinking it'd be overcrowded and way too hot, but my argument is more that I can schedule in more rest days with an august trip where we relax by the pool and take it easy vs what i can do over our current trip.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: NVM saw the post previously about crowd levels. Sorry i'm considering rescheduling into some your vacation times! Just how it is right now with the uncertainty!

I think it will be hard to predict crowds in these uncertain times. Hopefully, we will all be able to go to WDW in August. In more typical times, mid-August is manageably busy. We have been going to WDW in August for the past 10 years; sometimes early to mid, and most often late August/eaasrly September. I've felt like the crowds start to lessen the later in August you go, again, this August, all bets are off.

Don't apologize for rescheduling, these things are out of our control. Welcome to the August heat!

Another potential April refugee. Is the heat oppressive in mid-August? To the point where everyone is drenched in sweat you can smell BO everywhere and makes things not enjoyable? I've only gone in February, March, and this would have been the first April. Maybe I need to experience it in August since I am thinking of retiring there someday.

I can’t lie. It’s hot. It’s low 90s every day with extreme humidity. But it’s not miserable enough to keep me from going for me personally, but I know lots of people can’t handle it. I usually take a midday break though.

Another potential April refugee. Is the heat oppressive in mid-August? To the point where everyone is drenched in sweat you can smell BO everywhere and makes things not enjoyable? I've only gone in February, March, and this would have been the first April. Maybe I need to experience it in August since I am thinking of retiring there someday.

Yes, the heat is absolutely oppressive. We're still going, though. Make sure to keep well-hydrated and take breaks in the air-conditioning or by the pool. We take small necklace fans and it helps A LOT.

Along with what the two previous posters suggested, we find that wearing cooling towels really helps in the August heat.

I suspect August is about to get busier. Lots of people missing trips now for the spring break, and lots of uncertainty about what the next month, two months, maybe three or more will bring, I would bet that many folks will reschedule for the end of the summer, figuring that leaves the most time for things to be sorted out.

I suspect August is about to get busier. Lots of people missing trips now for the spring break, and lots of uncertainty about what the next month, two months, maybe three or more will bring, I would bet that many folks will reschedule for the end of the summer, figuring that leaves the most time for things to be sorted out.
I think the opposite will happen. Yes, some people will reschedule spring trips to the summer, but just about everyone throughout the world is taking a huge financial hit from this. Most likely, lots of previously booked August travellers (especially international) will end up cancelling. I’m thinking particularly about UK tourists. Many travel to WDW for two to three weeks in August. I know for me, as our dollar tanks, our trip becomes less likely, and so far our jobs have not yet been affected.

I think the opposite will happen. Yes, some people will reschedule spring trips to the summer, but just about everyone throughout the world is taking a huge financial hit from this. Most likely, lots of previously booked August travellers (especially international) will end up cancelling. I’m thinking particularly about UK tourists. Many travel to WDW for two to three weeks in August. I know for me, as our dollar tanks, our trip becomes less likely, and so far our jobs have not yet been affected.

I agree with this 100%. Heck, we may even need to cancel our trip if either myself or DH stop working and don’t get paid anymore. If that happens, and depending on the length of time, we may need to dip into our vacation fund if we end up depleting our emergency fund. I’m hoping this certainly isn’t the case, but who knows.

I am going to face a decision about our August trip by the end of April. We own DVC, and this trip is 259 points: 122 are banked from last year, and we will lose them no matter what if this trip cannot happen because our use year is September. But I can salvage 137 points if I cancel the trip and bank those points to by the end of April. I really hope that in the next 5 weeks there will be cause for optimism. but absent some reasonable certainty I am likely to do this. I think I would rather knowingly forfeit 122 points than risk losing 259. I also probably will book a refundable hotel stay to keep the trip possible; but it will be a disappointment not to be able to say where we planned.

Man, having to book two separate dates of trips and trying to figure out dining for 11 people has been an exercise, but I managed to get better than what Dining i took the initiative to get for my April trip. Other members of my family are still holding out hope that our late April trip will happen, but once they suspended all construction indefinitely in accordance with CDC guidance I made the assumption that the parks are going to follow suit and remain closed through mid may, the question is when they make that decision more official before bombarding their phone line CMs more (god bless those folks who deserve a bonus after all of this).

I agree with this 100%. Heck, we may even need to cancel our trip if either myself or DH stop working and don’t get paid anymore. If that happens, and depending on the length of time, we may need to dip into our vacation fund if we end up depleting our emergency fund. I’m hoping this certainly isn’t the case, but who knows.
So much uncertainty at this time.
It’s almost impossible to figure out what to do at this point. :goodvibes

We are booked for mid August, but I'm feeling less hopeful that it will happen. I've been reading about predictions for coronavirus to continue into the fall. If that's the case we won't be going. :( I'm really hoping that it might clear up with the warmer weather, but who knows. We purposely are holding off on paying off our balance.

I am going to face a decision about our August trip by the end of April. We own DVC, and this trip is 259 points: 122 are banked from last year, and we will lose them no matter what if this trip cannot happen because our use year is September. But I can salvage 137 points if I cancel the trip and bank those points to by the end of April. I really hope that in the next 5 weeks there will be cause for optimism. but absent some reasonable certainty I am likely to do this. I think I would rather knowingly forfeit 122 points than risk losing 259. I also probably will book a refundable hotel stay to keep the trip possible; but it will be a disappointment not to be able to say where we planned.

I am in a similar position. We are using 85 (Feb uy) banked points, coupled with 4 nights at the BC hotel sideruar for our August/September trip. We booked a January trip as a possible replacement and to hopefully salvage our points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter