*** Official August 2020 thread ***

I think it will be open. I’m thinking it will open sometime between Memorial Day and July 4th. Will you guys still go if there’s no parades, fireworks, shows etc? Coming from MD I’m not sure I could justify the money if it’s not the full experience.

Looks like we might be postponing our August Europe trip to 2021 for multiple reasons including the virus. I’m thinking maybe international travel including going to France, Germany, and especially Italy is maybe a bad idea for a while but maybe domestic travel is ok. So I’m thinking that I want to go to WDW in August. My current thought is to stay at the FW campground August 10-22. (Gotta have a long trip to make up for postponing Europe a whole year lol)

There’s just one thing I want to make sure of though- It says when I’m about to check out on the WDW website with a full vacation package (campsite and tickets) that it’s fully changeable and refundable before July 11. That includes the whole thing, include the campsite AND tickets, right? I just want to make sure because I want to book in time to make the 60 day FP+ window but if the virus turns out to be a problem I want to make absolutely sure we’ll get a refund. Even if it’s open, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea in my family to go because a couple of us could potentially be at risk.

I REALLY hope it works out to go! I haven’t been to WDW since August 2016 and I really miss it! I’ve been to Disneyland 6 times since then but I miss my favorite version of Space, Splash, and Thunder and I really need to visit the unique WDW things like Pandora and Toy Story Land!!!

They extended the Sun and Fun dates through all of August. My dates (8th through 12th) hadn’t been included before, so pretty happy that they are included now! Called this morning and I will save $280 for my stay! Would prefer free dining but I’ll take it! Fingers crossed that we will be able to go in August 🤞

What are everyone's thoughts on DW being open in August? I am PRAYING we will be good to go!

To be honest, I am not entirely certain that August will happen. I, of course, would like to think that things will be getting back to normal by then, but certainly, this is something we have never seen in our lifetimes. Not a lot of past experience to make judgments from, so I figure it is anyone's guess what will happen.

I think it will be open. I’m thinking it will open sometime between Memorial Day and July 4th. Will you guys still go if there’s no parades, fireworks, shows etc? Coming from MD I’m not sure I could justify the money if it’s not the full experience.

If there are no parades, fireworks, etc it will be hard to justify the cost. Part of our trip is a 5-night DVC rental so we kind of have our hands tied. We’d probably cancel the 6-night stay we have booked at the YC before our 5-night Poly stay (DVC part) and make the most of a shorter trip. If everything isn’t fully operational, maybe that will mean lower crowds. All that to say, I think Disney is going to get parks, parades, fireworks fully operational as soon as they can because many people may feel like we do and cancel all or part of their trips if everything isn’t open, and I’m sure Disney isn’t going want to lose anymore revenue.

Ooh that would be perfect for us if it’s open without parades and fireworks if less people go! We never watch any of that... I find the best firework viewing spot is from Splash Mountain if you know what I mean 😂

Just switched my April trip to late August/Early September. Not looking forward to the heat but we need to go before my son turns 3. We're adding an extra day so we can slow our pace and still saving money.

Reactions: rlk
Can I please get some opinions on August? Currently booked for a late June stay, which i’m not 100% sure will go ahead. Booked last April so couldn’t have predicted anything like this. We are teachers so are pretty restricted but we’re wondering what early August is like in the parks? Obviously expecting it to be busy if opening is severely postponed but in terms of weather etc. With late June we were already in the hot and busy period, would it be much different? We’re already planning mid-day breaks. Thanks

I’m at such a loss over what to think. I rescheduled August trip once because schoolboard decided to go back prior to labour day i lost a fair bit on airfare on that.
Oldest kid was thinking about doing an extra grade 12 year, now he’s not sure , he was accepted to his choice program .
We also have Discovery cove booked ..
Daughter is Asthmatic so unless it’s 100% over it’s a hard no.
So many moving parts it’s hard to even have a backup plan.

I got the same email for our stay in August. I agree that there is no way to predict the crowds. I know that if we do go it will be a much different trip now. Reservations and fastpasses that we worried about getting really don't mean much to us anymore. We will just be blessed if we get to go and probably spending more time at the resort.
Praying for all the CMs that have to go back to work to serve all of us guests in these unprecedented times.

I am keeping my trip. If we end up sitting by a pool with Disney music all day then I will be a happy camper. I will even drive from Philly for the first time if that’s what it takes. Disney-we’re coming!

I am keeping my trip. If we end up sitting by a pool with Disney music all day then I will be a happy camper. I will even drive from Philly for the first time if that’s what it takes. Disney-we’re coming!

I would sit by the pool happily too! But if that is what comes to pass I will need to change to another hotel instead of All Star Sports! :P We pick value because we are only in our rooms to sleep. But hanging out by the pool and at the hotel all day would necessitate a change!! Hmmmm maybe split stay between Beach Club and Animal Kingdom?.....

It's just watch and see right now though....I'm hoping it will be open by August and it will mean we have successfully flattened the curve or found effective treatment or done something to manage this virus...

When our March trip was cancelled a couple weeks ago, we rebooked for August, which at the time, felt far into the future. Now, out here in California we're being told to prepare for at least another 2 months of stay-at-home mandates, and suddenly that August trip doesn't necessarily feel like a sure thing anymore.

No one can say for sure what will happen, but here's how I look at the possibilities for August:

1. WDW is closed. It seems insane to think that this would even be a possibility, but who knows. However, if this is the case, then there's not any decision to make.

2. WDW is open but in a limited capacity. What if in August only select resorts & dining locations are open, or select parks, or only some rides? What if there are no fireworks, no shows, no parades, no character meet & greets? We'll have to assess what is being offered and see if the trip is still worth it.

3. WDW is open but there is "social wariness" about going. This is harder to quantify and strictly a personal decision. If WDW is open, there will no doubt be people who will rush to be there opening day. But I imagine for a lot of people there will be some initial wariness about going back into large group gatherings - especially at a place like WDW where people from all over the country and world are gathering. If the park has only recently opened by August, I might feel better about postponing again and taking some time to "see how it goes" with others.

4. WDW is fully open (so not option 2) and it has been open for awhile (so not option 3) but there are fundamental changes to the way WDW operaties (either temporary or permanently). What I'm imagining here is that WDW is fully open, but there are new policies and procedures in place, like: you need to have your temperature taken before entering a park, or there are hand washing stations you must use before entering a restaurant (like on a cruise ship), or all rides have a virtual queue, or all shows are filled to only half capacity for social distancing. Whatever these things are, they'd be for the health & safety of guests, so in a way it's not unlike having to go through security. But if the experience changes enough, or in a way that would seriously detract from the trip, we'd have to reconsider.

5. WDW is open and everything is back to normal like none of this ever happened. It could happen, right? At least some day? But I have a feeling like we won't be at this point by August 2020.

I'm hoping we're at #4 by August, but I have a feeling it may be more like some combination of 2 & 3.

That's my assessment anyway.

I feel for all of you dealing with this right now. For the first time, I ac actually happy that I don't have a trip planned for this summer lol.

Honestly, at this point, I don't think any of us have the information necessary to make any kind of decisions with. China looks prepared to start easing their lockdowns. I would say pay pretty close attention to what happens there. Keep in mind that things started there late last year, so they are perhaps 4 months in. Things just got going here the beginning of this month, so it may be as late as the beginning of July before we are as far along in it as they are. Then again, we started limiting travel and social gatherings a lot earlier in the process than they did, so it might go a bit quicker here.

At any rate, I would say to pay close attention to what happens there as they relax restrictions, and start allowing citizens to move about more freely. That is probably going to be the first reasonable glimpse we get into how things might go here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter