*** Official August 2020 Thread *** (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching for an August thread!

We are going August 25th to September 3rd staying at the Candy Cane Inn.

2 teen boys who are super excited for GE.

Also doing UH, and Knott’s.

Last DL trip was 2015.

Nervous about the impact of the SW convention. Probably will avoid DL that weekend.

Yay I’ve been waiting for an August thread! We’re headed to San Diego for the first time for a week then headed back to Disneyland because I can’t be that close and not go for a few days at least!! We’ll be there August 11-15 staying at the BWPPI.

Straight talk, how hot do you guys think it's gonna be?

I've looked at Wunderground and historical temps for August but those predicted temperatures don't seem especially daunting. We've been in the Parks during late September/early October and experienced 104F+ temps (40C for us Canucks). Is August likely to hit those highs?

Also, how are you guys planning on managing your time in the Parks? We've never been when the Park were open late (11-12a) every night. We are night owls and traveling with teens and would love to hear what it's like in the Parks from 8 or 9pm 'til close. We LOVE CA at night because it never seems as crowded as DL; I find fighting through the parade/fireworks crowds daunting. 😦

Straight talk, how hot do you guys think it's gonna be?

I've looked at Wunderground and historical temps for August but those predicted temperatures don't seem especially daunting. We've been in the Parks during late September/early October and experienced 104F+ temps (40C for us Canucks). Is August likely to hit those highs?

Also, how are you guys planning on managing your time in the Parks? We've never been when the Park were open late (11-12a) every night. We are night owls and traveling with teens and would love to hear what it's like in the Parks from 8 or 9pm 'til close. We LOVE CA at night because it never seems as crowded as DL; I find fighting through the parade/fireworks crowds daunting. 😦

I was there last year in August (19th - 22nd) and it wasn’t bad at all - low to mid 80s, cloudy most mornings and then sunny in the afternoons. It does tend to feel a lot hotter in the parks in the mid afternoon sun though, so on the hottest day of my trip I think it got around 85-86 but felt much warmer. I did a lot of water rides and took a pool break that day. But it wasn’t nearly as hot as the week we went in October where it hit nearly 100 multiple days in a row.

I’m totally a night owl too - but on Disney trips I become both an early bird and night owl at the same time. haha. I love going rope drop to close. The last few hours of the night are great when the park closes around 11 or 12! It does get a little crowded and congested around main street & the hub & over by the Rivers of America from the nightly fireworks and Fantasmic shows though. But after that the parks really start to empty out and quite a few rides are short waits. I like to get in line for rides that typically have long lines all day (like Peter Pan) right before the park closes - as long as you are in line before park close you can ride! Then shop Main Street on my way out since they keep in open an hour after.

8.22-8.27 - andreana22 - Residence Inn - Star Wars Nite

My husband and I are going to Star Wars Celebration at the convention center from 8/27 - 8/30 but decided to come down the weekend before so we could have 5 days at Disney. It's also my birthday on the 28th so it will be a pretty awesome birthday. 🎂:cool1:

Thank you for starting this one. My daughter and I will be there 8/7-8/16 at DLH. I look forward to interacting with all of you. This is our 2nd trip and it looks like this week will be a tradition for us because it's my birthday while we are there lol. We do Florida or a Cruise in Feb/April for my daughter's birthday (depending on school schedule for her)

**Edit - I couldn't help myself. I added a couple more nights because the flight prices were the same for the red eye on Friday night as they were for Sunday night lol. May change again when it comes time to get the plane tickets in a couple of weeks but this is the plan for now.

Last edited:
Thanks for starting this. I'm moving over from the April thread as we've had to delay our trip to Summer. No official dates yet but likely headed to the original park in mid-August

Current plan:

Parks 8/24-8/26
Star Wars Celebration 8/27-8/30, staying at Motel 6 Anaheim Maingate

I think people who are there for the convention will likely stay in the convention center during those four days except for the Star Wars party on the 27th. It does not make much sense to spend $200 for a four-day pass to Celebration, then spend whatever on park tickets, only to dilute both of their value by going to both on the same day. If you have an AP or limited time, I can see where someone might go back and forth a little, but how many people does that cover? How did crowds work out in 2015 for that Celebration?

Current plan:

Parks 8/24-8/26
Star Wars Celebration 8/27-8/30, staying at Motel 6 Anaheim Maingate

I think people who are there for the convention will likely stay in the convention center during those four days except for the Star Wars party on the 27th. It does not make much sense to spend $200 for a four-day pass to Celebration, then spend whatever on park tickets, only to dilute both of their value by going to both on the same day. If you have an AP or limited time, I can see where someone might go back and forth a little, but how many people does that cover? How did crowds work out in 2015 for that Celebration?

I can’t speak for the Star Wars convention in particular, but I was there last year in the days leading up to the D23 convention. I believe the convention was 8/23-8/25 or 8/26, and my park days were 8/19-8/22. I didn’t notice the parks becoming noticeably busier until the afternoon of 8/22 right before I left. From forum posts and vlogs made after D23 it seems like most people did their park visiting after the convention. I have no idea if it will be the same for Star Wars Celebration guests, but wanted to share my perspective from another large convention last year!

I'm still new with the forums, but it has been great so far. One question I have for this group is more to gauge interest in an informal meetup at some point. It looks like there are already quite a few people who will be there around the same time. Is that something that is pretty common in these groups or usually just keep it to chance?

I'm still new with the forums, but it has been great so far. One question I have for this group is more to gauge interest in an informal meetup at some point. It looks like there are already quite a few people who will be there around the same time. Is that something that is pretty common in these groups or usually just keep it to chance?
Meetups happen -- you can arrange them privately via PM or you can announce something here and have people let you know they'll be there. We've had DIS meetups for Dapper Days and much more informal meetups at RD when people knew they'd be there on the same morning. And sometimes it really does happen by chance when you recognize someone in the park by their avatar on this board!

Going August 26 thru Sept 1 For Star Wars Celebration 2020
Staying at the Red Lion Inn, then switching over to the Spring Hill Suites up the street on the 30th.

What is August like in Disneyland? Crowds, heat? I’m scared of the heat! Our plan was to go next week so now we need a backup plan. It’s either August 3-7 or wait until next March. My husband has to schedule all his vacation time in november for the following year so he can’t move any of his vacation for this year. I have high schoolers so they can’t miss a week of school, so we have to go during a school break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter