***Official*** Toy Story Land Information Thread

The video just got me a bit more jazzed for our family trip in August. My family is super excited to try out the new rides.

It's easy, as a fan, to sometimes nitpick. I'm focusing on the bright side: much needed capacity, some new rides, and a land based on some great films.

Yes it’s a land that’s supposed to look like big plastic toys... but I expect Imagineering to make a compelling, highly themed land no matter what the concept is.

This is the bare minimum. It looks like it fits into the decor of the All Stars or Pop Century.

They’ve done this exact theme so well with Toy Story Mania. It looks incredible in there, you truly feel like you’ve been shrunk down. But this one is rushed and was built on the back of budget cuts.

But it’s gonna be a kiddy area so I’m not too concerned. If the kids like it that works for me.

No one has seen this in person. How can anyone truly know anything about the look and feel of it????

Very true actually. I’m just going off what the ride looks like, since it’s supposed to be the centerpiece of the land.

Anyone care to speculate what the crowds will be like that weekend? It’s already going to be extra busy because it’s the weekend before 4th of July and now this.

What were Pandora crowds like opening weekend?
Aha! A question I can answer! Sort of! I was there! But there were so many lines I can't tell you what the lines were like because I could not tell! Except there were a lot of them!

Something makes me think TSL just won't pull what Pandora did. SWL? That will be at least as bad and likely worse.

Trying to answer your question seriously as far as Pandora, everyone at AK of course wanted to be in Pandora that day. Disney limited folks entering Pandora so it would not be swamped with people in every available space. The line to enter AK in the morning was not horribly bad at 6:10AM for a 7AM EMH. We had FPs for FOP at 11AM and decided to do the rest of AK while everyone else went to Pandora. Which worked great in the morning.

The line for getting into Pandora was like 90 minutes long and backed up to RFC and then wrapped back into AK with lots of tape on the ground. They allowed folks with active FPs to bypass the line into Pandora. That was us thank goodness. It was confusing but frankly Disney did a top notch job of keeping things orderly and organized. At the end of every line - and all of Pandora seemed like a huge line - was a CM with a sign that read "End of line for xyz". Whoever planned the whole thing should get a medal IMO. ::yes::

:wizard:

Star Wars is going to be the worst thing to happen to Disney. Zero Disney factor. No Disney magic or charm. Gonna bring in crazy types of people to the park. But that’s for a another thread.

Hopefully the cuts don’t show when the park is opened.
:rotfl2:

Lmao some people judging of course before anything's even open. Like usual

7dmt: kiddie ride, eyesore, doesn't fit in that area

Frozen: another frozen thing, disrespect to Norway, omg keeping the Maelstrom track but just redoing, frozen was years ago there's no more hype

Pandora: who's even seen this movie that is one of the highest grossing ever, movie was 10 years ago, there's no draw for this, the land will be empty within months, doesn't fit the AK theme

Hmmm..All are hits, all still drawing crowds. Of course anyone can doubt a new ride or land, but why not wait for judgement until you see it in person?

Disney is adding a land incorporating one of Disney's all time best movie series imo, adding more around Hollywood studios most popular ride, adding two rides that will be more children friendly in a teen/adult driven park.

I think Disney will have another big hit. My hotel is booked for June 30th with hopes of getting in an AP preview if they offer them

My summer trip is already booked 6/27-6/30, (minus DH), and 7/7-11. We are offsite for the week of the 4th, no parks that week. I was already debating my HS park day for the first stretch. It was going to be 6/27 or 6/30, either 1/2 day evening, or a couple hours on departure day. We will have another day during the 2nd part of our trip. My big kids will very much want to ride the Slinky Dog (and lets face it, I will too.) But my little will not. As I write this I am pretty much answering my own question of when to go to HS. Arrival day, and then choose a day in 2nd half and try for FP for Slinky Dog. Open to advice if anyone has any! We are pros at heat, but have always managed to avoid crowds in July. Last July, Pandora madness was predictable and we were able to easily tour by following dis advice (had 4 rides on FOP in one day!)

I guess I'm the only one excitedly convincing DH we need a second July trip (we are going Easter) to see Toy Story Land? I think I'm way more excited about this than Pandora because both my kids will be able to ride the new rides (especially my daughter who will *just* meet the requirement).

We go every Easter so I doubt we will do July... so this is two years in a row I have to wait almost a full year to try the new rides!!! =)

No one has seen this in person. How can anyone truly know anything about the look and feel of it????

Many people have seen the toy story lands in other parks like Paris and Shanghai. Different rides but same look and feel, which is cheap. Especially with all the cuts.

I just wish the land didn’t get budget cuts.
I'm aware of the elements that were cut, but if they had left them in, it certainly wouldn't be opening on June 30th. I'm wondering if they were eliminated to reduce the construction time. Who knows, maybe they'll be put back in at a later date.

Many people have seen the toy story lands in other parks like Paris and Shanghai. Different rides but same look and feel, which is cheap. Especially with all the cuts.

Are the many people those in this thread? I guess I wait and judge things until I am actually there.

I, for one, am excited to see this new land. It looks exactly like something I would expect of an area called Toy Story Land.

As with many things in life, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your comment has me wondering what, if anything, could have been done differently with this new land to make it look not “cheap”. I’m not being critical of your opinion....honest question. I would love to hear what others would have done if they were an Imagineer designing this new land. Could be a fun conversation.

I’ll start. I think a view over a fence from some sort of elevated position within the land (maybe Slinky standby queue?) of Sid Phillips’ back yard would be kind of neat. Something like this:
02F79CEE-6AD5-4DD9-8637-1D0A2F4D589E.jpeg

This way, parents of, cranky, impatient kids (my kids included) could tell them that’s where they’ll have to spend the rest of the day if they keep misbehaving. (Kidding!....a little bit.).

ETA: @rteetz and Mods, if you feel my post has the potential to send this thread off topic please delete.

Reactions: CJN
Well... I think that was obviously from the start. The land is for kids though. It’s all about giving the park capacity for when Star Wars opens. I wish the land would’ve never went through it’s cuts.
What was cut from the roller coaster?
I'm aware of the elements that were cut, but if they had left them in, it certainly wouldn't be opening on June 30th. I'm wondering if they were eliminated to reduce the construction time. Who knows, maybe they'll be put back in at a later date.

Yes it’s a land that’s supposed to look like big plastic toys... but I expect Imagineering to make a compelling, highly themed land no matter what the concept is.

This is the bare minimum. It looks like it fits into the decor of the All Stars or Pop Century.

They’ve done this exact theme so well with Toy Story Mania. It looks incredible in there, you truly feel like you’ve been shrunk down. But this one is rushed and was built on the back of budget cuts.

But it’s gonna be a kiddy area so I’m not too concerned. If the kids like it that works for me.

My four year old won’t care - I showed her the new coaster and she’s thrilled.

Are the many people those in this thread? I guess I wait and judge things until I am actually there.
I’m one! And to me, TSL in DLP felt fun! From the Tinkertoy fencing to the huge Christmas lights strung overhead, it felt like being back in my kids’ playroom 20+ years ago and playing with them.

My DH, who is very visual and artistic, remarked on how well-themed and detailed it was.

The Slinky ride in DLP was the equivalent of a county fair carnival ride so SDD looks to be a major upgrade. SDD reminds me of DL’s Toontown coaster, but longer, where families still wait in long Standby lines to experience it.

I like experiencing well-themed areas from DL’s Toontown and Carsland, DLP’s TSL and HM, Universal’s WWoHP, to AK’s Pandora, and I’m looking forward to actually being immersed in TSL to see how it “feels.” :goodvibes

Can you pick some lottery numbers for me?

(Sorry it may not work out for your June trip.)

i have seriously never won even on a rub off. maybe a free ticket once. i have zero luck. zero!

hey like i said november. i still got the preview for DVC or AP maybe! I think i'm pushing it though at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter