Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

According to my TA
"Half Marathon and Challenge runners who have registered BEFORE October 10th in Active will have their gift card emailed and their party ticket mailed to the address listed on their registration.

Half Marathon and Challenge runners registered AFTER October 10th in Active will still have their gift card emailed but WILL NOT have their party ticket mailed. These runners MUST pick up their party ticket at the EXPO."

I bet we see bibs/waviers on the 10th or close to that then!

For those of us who live outside the USA, we probably have to pickup everything at the Expo... How many stops/booths/tables does this represent?
  • Give waiver
  • Pickup Bib w/ safety pins
  • Get picture taken (Challenge)
  • Get gear bag with sticker...
  • Get gift card
  • Get party tickets
  • Get shirts

For those of us who live outside the USA, we probably have to pickup everything at the Expo... How many stops/booths/tables does this represent?
  • Give waiver
  • Get gift card
  • Get party tickets
  • Get shirts

I'd think 3-4 Wavier hand over should get you bib/sticker possibly gift card/party tix
picture was in general bib area for princess
Shirt, bag, pins
You may need to go to another stop for Gift card/party tix

My next questions is about drinking before the runDisney 10k and half... Since this event is called Wine and Dine, I sure hope I am not too far off topic :rolleyes1

My park days are before the runs:
Friday Nov 3rd: MK, AK
Saturday Nov 4th: run 10k, Epcot and MK
Sunday Nov 5th: run Half, rest, DISmeet pre-party, party at Epcot

Now, I hear the advice: Eat and drink normally the week before the runs... Common, I will be at Disney World! Mickey bars, Mickey waffles, Dole Whip, etc are NOT normal but I am not skipping it all either! :mickeybar

So I have to choose between the drinks I like (Dole Whip float at MK, African Margarita at AK) and some I haven’t tried (Mo’ara Frozen Margarita at AK, Night Blossom at AK, Spiked Dole Whip at AK). Any recommandations if you had to have only one with alcohol and one without?

Of course, I am keeping Epcot favorites for post-race... Sunken Treasure at Hurricane Hannah at the meet-up with @Keels, France slushie because I promised @roxymama, maybe a late night marguarita at La Casa de Tequila.

Cheers!

The only time I don’t booze like normal before a race is a marathon, and even then, I usually will have a mimosa or something at brunch and a glass of wine with dinner and that’s it.

My next questions is about drinking before the runDisney 10k and half... Since this event is called Wine and Dine, I sure hope I am not too far off topic :rolleyes1

Now, I hear the advice: Eat and drink normally the week before the runs... Common, I will be at Disney World! Mickey bars, Mickey waffles, Dole Whip, etc are NOT normal but I am not skipping it all either! :mickeybar

So I have to choose between the drinks I like (Dole Whip float at MK, African Margarita at AK) and some I haven’t tried (Mo’ara Frozen Margarita at AK, Night Blossom at AK, Spiked Dole Whip at AK). Any recommandations if you had to have only one with alcohol and one without?

Of course, I am keeping Epcot favorites for post-race... Sunken Treasure at Hurricane Hannah at the meet-up with @Keels, France slushie because I promised @roxymama, maybe a late night marguarita at La Casa de Tequila.

Cheers!

I would consider the timing of your food and drink is more important than quantity. Obviously something like DATW prior to probably wouldn't be advised but I don't think two or three drinks or a dole whip or three would kill you. Just don't do it at 8:00 pm. :)

I must be a total nerd because I follow all the "rules" when it comes for food and drink before a half. I don't have alcohol for at least a week leading up to (ok sometimes I'll have a drink a few days before) and no weird food for 24 hours prior. I am the dork that asks for plain grilled chicken or steak and a plain potato or simple pasta. I even bring my own breakfast for pre race.

But for a 10k, if I'm not racing it hard and it's a fun run only- I have one dirty martini the night before.

I find the most important thing is prehydration and eating my usual food/coffee the morning of. And not overdoing the walking UNLESS I've trained for it (yes THATS how nerdy I am, I train for the fact that I'll be walking around the day - or more- before a race by added walking days to my training schedule).

That being said- my training has been so abysmal and my diet such crap lately and it will be a miracle if I make it thru this race so maybe I'll just enjoy dole whips and a drink and say what the heck!

If you do drink, maybe sure to hydrate after!!!

Last edited:

Cheers!
But if you're going to drink - pick the one with the alcohol that u know u handle well. For example, I can't do rum very well. Or bourbon. But vodka or tequila and me are just fine. Wine hits my head like a brick.

But thanks for the reminder - I had a delicious blue drink this summer and I'm going to have to search it out post race for sure! (No clue of the name - pool bar menu)

I used to be really strict about the no drinking before a race, but I've relaxed a bit because it's not totally uncommon for me to have a glass of wine or two the night before a training run so why was I sweating it for a race? The day before the 10K we'll be in DAK and I am guessing there will be a drink with my name on it, as well as a glass of wine with dinner. The night before the half we have dinner at Trattoria al Forno so maybe a glass of wine, but it really will depend on how I'm feeling. So I guess I am more conservative before a half, but not totally abstaining. There is a reason I run Wine & Dine...:drinking1 :rotfl2:

But if you're going to drink - pick the one with the alcohol that u know u handle well. For example, I can't do rum very well. Or bourbon. But vodka or tequila and me are just fine. Wine hits my head like a brick.

I am unfortunately with you on the wine these days... But good point on which alcohol is easier on my metabolism... I have to test a few before my training long runs, so much to prepare for :rotfl2:

Just don't do it at 8:00 pm. :)
If you do drink, maybe sure to hydrate after!!!
Will sure listen to these wise advices :angel:
The goal of the trip is to have fun... And running a Challenge being uncomfortable would take away from it.

For the Spikey Dole Whip, I just read that it is available at the Tiki Terrace at the Poly...
So I could try it on arrival day or after completing the Half. :cheer2:

I eat a larger early lunch and a really small dinner before a big race only because I just know that works out better for me. The day before the day before my race I need the best sleep so a little nightcaps not a bad idea. I'm not a quantity drinker, but more a quality drinker. Cause I'm a lightweight and a cheap date. So the day before my race no drinks (usually)
But after...:drinking1
Since I'm doing the 5k only...I'll be taking advantage of the adult drinks at mickeys backyard BBQ the night before!!

And I vote dole whip no matter boozie or not :). Also everyone drink the slushes for me on Sunday! I'll be having one on Wed prior to pre pre pre game.

I had a delicious blue drink this summer and I'm going to have to search it out post race for sure! (No clue of the name - pool bar menu)

Calypso Colada? I had one of those at the Coronado Springs pool bar last year. It was blue and SO good!

Great to hear about everyone’s training and drinking habits! I fit in about the same! I have ran the two race challenge twice. Did the DL DDD and W&D last year. Got my coast to coast! Training has been great this year until this week. My plantar fascia is flaring up. Sore when walking and running. I did 6 today at a slow pace and feel ok.

Anyone have tips on rest/recovery? I have a 10k trail run this Saturday. Not sure if I should run it or not. Any advice?

Thanks!
Matt

Last edited:
Great to hear about everyone’s training and drinking habits! I fit in about the same! I have ran the two race challenge twice. Did the DL DDD and W&D last year. Got my coast to coast! Training has been great this year until this week. My plantar fascia is flaring up. Sore when walking and running. I did 6 today at a slow pace and feel ok.

Anyone have tips on rest/recovery? I have a 10k trail run this Saturday. Not sure if I should run it or not. Any advice?

Thanks!
Matt
I would probably skip the trail 10k. (I DID skip my annual fall 10k race this year actually). With PF flaring up I am aiming to stick to flatter runs when possible. I guess it depends on the trail and the terrain. As for recovery, I've been icing, stretching (especially my calves), massage rolling, taking aleve and it seems to be helping a little. I've heard that losing 5 pounds can also help but I'm having a hard time balancing lower calories with running energy. I always struggle to diet while training for long distance races. :(

We are trying to get an idea about 2018 race.
Does anyone know the history of the dates for the Wine and Dine over the years?
thanks.

I would probably skip the trail 10k. (I DID skip my annual fall 10k race this year actually). With PF flaring up I am aiming to stick to flatter runs when possible. I guess it depends on the trail and the terrain. As for recovery, I've been icing, stretching (especially my calves), massage rolling, taking aleve and it seems to be helping a little. I've heard that losing 5 pounds can also help but I'm having a hard time balancing lower calories with running energy. I always struggle to diet while training for long distance races. :(
Thanks! I really hate to skip, but I may do that. I have ran it 3 years in a row and missed placing last year by 1 second.

I plan to run a long run tomorrow...pushed training a day due to being off work Monday, I love being a banker! I will see how I feel after that. If I’m sore, I’m out! Can’t risk further injury before Disney! That’s more important.

I have started icing, rolling and stretching. Last year I wore the Strassburg sock to bed. Hated it, but it worked. Probably will start that again. I also bought a plantar fasciitis CEP sleeve today. Hopefully that helps.

~Matt

Cheers!

My DBF and I did DATW the night before my first princess half. I found the race to be fine. He was still hung over when I got back to the room...."some guys just can't hold their liquor." [/CellBlockTango]

• Give waiver
  • Get gift card
  • Get party tickets
  • Get shirts

I missed this one!! I'm going to put in CAPS the items you mentioned above in the process:

So ... You will:
Print Out/Bring you Waiver ...
To a Booth (differentiated by bib numbers). GIVE WAIVER and ID to a volunteer at your designated kiosk/booth, sign a piece of paper in a book. Get your BIB and your GEAR STICKER. Next to this booth (like five steps) will be a backdrop where you GET PICTURE TAKEN.
From there, you will walk to the other Expo building (with all the vendors and official merch) to GET SHIRTS - these come in your GEAR BAG and will have a small bag with SAFETY PINS inside of it.
If you didn't receive your party ticket or gift card, you'll go outside both Expo buildings and follow the signs to GET GIFT CARD and GET PARTY TICKETS. It's usually marked Will Call.

Hope this helps!

@Ariel484 does a REALLY great job in breaking this process down in some of her trip reports, if you want to burn some time and read all of her fun racing adventures!!

My DBF and I did DATW the night before my first princess half. I found the race to be fine. He was still hung over when I got back to the room...."some guys just can't hold their liquor." [/CellBlockTango]

I love you both already.

@flav - when are you getting to the Expo? If you want, I can plan my visit around the same time and help you around!

So ... You will:
Print Out/Bring you Waiver ...
To a Booth (differentiated by bib numbers). GIVE WAIVER and ID to a volunteer at your designated kiosk/booth, sign a piece of paper in a book. Get your BIB and your GEAR STICKER. Next to this booth (like five steps) will be a backdrop where you GET PICTURE TAKEN.
From there, you will walk to the other Expo building (with all the vendors and official merch) to GET SHIRTS - these come in your GEAR BAG and will have a small bag with SAFETY PINS inside of it.
If you didn't receive your party ticket or gift card, you'll go outside both Expo buildings and follow the signs to GET GIFT CARD and GET PARTY TICKETS. It's usually marked Will Call.

Hope this helps!
Yes, it does help! Now it feels more like a walk through than a treasure hunt! :boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter