Ok, are my dates correct here with banking and borrowing

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Ok so if I was to get a 50 point contract with an April use year, am I correct on this or some of this?
April use year
April 1st 2018 - March 31st 2019

Banking dates - April 1st - November 31st

Would get 2018 points on April 1st, 2018 and could borrow 50 points from 2019 then as well. Book two studios for December 2018 for around 4 nights.

If I were to cancel say both reservations say on November 30th, I can bank the 100 points to use by March 31st, 2019?

But what if I cancelled say December 1st?

Points need to be banked during the first 8 months of your UY. Your UY is not a calendar year. Points need to be available during the dates of your stay, not when you make the reservation. Banking moves points one UY forward, borrowing moves points one UY back. Banking and borrowing are final transactions and can not be reversed.

:earsboy: Bill

Well you can't bank borrowed points so no matter when you cancel the 50 2019 points you borrowed must be used by March 31, 2019.

The 2018 points could be banked into 2019 and would be good until March 2020 as long as you cancel by Nov 30. If you cancel Dec 1st you are past your banking window and those points must also be used by March 31 2019.

MS has been known to give a one time banking exception but it is only once and definitely not something you can count on. I was able to get this one time when there was a death in the family and I was past my banking window.

As Bill said remember that banking and borrowing are final transactions. You are moving points from one use year to another. You can't put them back.

Well you can't bank borrowed points so no matter when you cancel the 50 2019 points you borrowed must be used by March 31, 2019.

The 2018 points could be banked into 2019 and would be good until March 2020 as long as you cancel by Nov 30. If you cancel Dec 1st you are past your banking window and those points must also be used by March 31 2019.

MS has been known to give a one time banking exception but it is only once and definitely not something you can count on. I was able to get this one time when there was a death in the family and I was past my banking window.

As Bill said remember that banking and borrowing are final transactions. You are moving points from one use year to another. You can't put them back.
Thanks, its so confusing.

So as long as I cancelled by November 30th, 2018 I could bank the 50 points from 2018 and use them between April 1, 2019 till March 31, 2020.
But I would need to use or rent the 50 borrowed 2019 points by March 31, 2019. Or I could reschedule another trip and use both points before March 31, 2019.
Ok, I think I got that.

So do I have to wait until April 1, 2018 when my points come into play to book a December trip? I'm thinking I could do it earlier than that in 2018. But if I wanted to borrow the points from 2019, so I could book two studios in December 2018, when would I be able to do that? Of course I would want to book both studios at the same time or a two bedroom unit.

When you can book has nothing to do with your use year. You can always book your home resort at 11 months. So for example, today is Nov. 23, 2017. Everyone can book their home resort for stays beginning Oct. 23, 2018. That means, for example, people who own at Epcot resorts are booking for Food & Wine next year as we speak. MK resort owners are booking for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. And so forth.

Home resort booking for December 1st, 2018 will open for everyone January 1st, 2018.
You just need to have sufficient points available in your account to cover the actual stay. So if your December 1st booking requires 112 points, you must have them available when you make the booking on January 1st. They can regular points, banked or borrowed. Doesn't matter. You just have to have 112 that are in the account and valid on December 1st.

It seems confusing at the beginning but after you've done it enough it's like riding s bike... it will just feel natural.

If you cancel within 30 days if your reservation, the points go into holding and can’t be banked at all.

So do I have to wait until April 1, 2018 when my points come into play to book a December trip? I'm thinking I could do it earlier than that in 2018. But if I wanted to borrow the points from 2019, so I could book two studios in December 2018, when would I be able to do that?

You don’t wait until your use year. That’s not what UY is about.

You can book at your home resort at 11 months before the first night of your intended stay. 7 months out for non-Home Resort.

You don’t wait until you’re in the UY.

Ok a specific example. February UY.

I have zero points available for UY2017. If I suddenly got the urge to book something for next week or any time up to January 31st, I would borrow 2018UY points for it.

I have a February 2018 trip planned (month chosen not for UY but for Princess, but I think it highlights this perfectly*). I’m using 2018 points. I initially booked 11 months prior, so all the way back in March of 2017. When I wasn’t in the 2018 UY. But the points were there, waiting for me. I’m trying to modify it (if someone would cancel one specific night in a studio during Princess at VGF that would be awesome lol) and I’ve been able to do that since 7 months out, or, what, August??

If I turned this into a family trip not just a cousin’s trip, I could use up the rest of those 2018 points and borrow 2019 points, and I could have done so back in March 2017, when it was 11 months out.

*if I had to wait until I was inside of the UY a February UY person could never take a February trip. Etc. You don’t wait until you’re in the UY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter