okw and vb - just back

nickglover

Mouseketeer
We spent Sunday and Monday, May 13-14 at OKW (drove from Tampa) and the next three nights at VB. It was a very nice vacation and our first DVC trip to DVC properties. It was our first visit to OKW and we really liked it, especially the breezeway setup between the main lobby and the store and Olivias. We had a one bedroom studio, which was adequate for the two of us. We had our own car, but on Sunday night we took the boat to DD, with plans to eat at House of Blues. Unfortunately, although there are two docks, the boats were only going to the far dock near the Rain Forest Cafe, which made for quite a walk, the length of DD, to get back to the House of Blues. We heard they did this because merchants on the east side complained that the boat riders weren't coming down that way. Geez! DW's feet hurt if she walks too far, so this was not too cool. We heard we could take a bus from one end to the other, but we didn't really know how to go about that at the time. We had a nice meal at House of Blues - ok quality, price high, but cool atmosphere and no wait. We decided to take the bus back to OKW and that took a 35 minute wait for some reason. Next time we just take the car!
On Monday we drove to the Polynesian and received only a three hour pass at the gate, so I dropped DW off and then parked in the main MK lot and then took the tram and then the resorts monorail back to the Polynesian. We had breakfast at the Kona Cafe, which was ok - we had one egg plate and one fruit plate - was not too impressed with the fruit plate - lots of grapes - no berries and no mango, but great pineapple. This was the only place where it looked like recent staff reductions were noticeable - although there were plenty of open tables, we had to wait 15 minutes before they would seat us, and then the service was slow - just not enough servers. We then went to MK, which was fun, but became very hot for a while and was very crowded around the Peter Pan ride area. We went back to OKW to rest, and then drove to BW and valet-parked. This was our first look at BW, and the pictures do not do it justice. I had the impression of a more "tacky" looking place, like the All Star Resorts, but we both really liked the "look and feel" of BW and how nice the public areas around the lobby were and the front lawn. We took the boat to Epcot, although the walk did not look far, and we had dinner at the Teppanyaki Room in China (Priority Seating). This is where they cook in front of you. We had a great meal there, which was not too expensive and we then looked around China, Morroco and France before watching Illuminations for the first time, which was very nice (and quick) and then took the boat back to BW - short wait for the car and back to OKW.
Before checking out Tuesday we attended the members briefing, which was informative, but long, with a slide show - there was coffee and juice and some pastries - but not as nice as what they do (or used to do?) at VB where they have nice fruit and great mini pastries and just a briefing without trying to sell add-ons.
We then drove to VB - took the Bee Line ($2.50 in tolls) all the way to Cocoa Beach and saw where the cruise ships depart, and then right down A1A. We hit some serious love bug infestations on the way. There are quicker ways to get there, but I like A1A. Just south of Sebastian Inlet, we stopped at the McClarty Museum and looked around for $1. It is mainly about the 1715 Spanish ship wrecks and they have some artifacts and also an observation walk and deck looking over the ocean.
We then arrived at VB (our fifth visit, but first since we made it our home). Our room was not ready but the CM recommended waiting for that particular room because it was an Inn room on the 4th floor with ocean view (10 points per night!). We had a small pizza and a pina colada in the Green Cabin Room (nice atmospehere and the water was absolutely torqoise that day - looked like the Keys!) and walked around until the room was ready. [One question - we did not have enough toilet paper for three days, so we asked for some more - are we really supposed to bring our own?] The room was great - very private balcony and it seemed like a little more room than other Inn rooms we have had.
We ate at Shutters that night, and as always, the food was excellent. We have never had a bad meal there and we have eaten there at least 15 times now. The "tropical trio" is my favorite - jerk style tuna, grouper and mahi-mahi with mango salsa - spicy, and very very very fresh fish, cooked perfect! We also shared a Caesar salad. DW had the grapefruit chicken, which really is a mustard-grapefruit base, and she liked it very much. I made PS reservations for our two dinners and I think I would recommend those always now, at least by the morning of the planned dinner, because Shutters was busy every night (and loud with kids crying most of the time, like the pool area - I think Wednesday is kid crying day there!)
We spent most of Wednesday and Thursday at the beach and at the pool. Tuesday was windy with some nice waves but choppy. The next two days were calm, and not much wave action, but I did manage to surf on a boogie board and body surf near the shore. No sign of oil globs reported several weeks earlier in the area (actually I did get one oil patch on my foot, but nothing else). The pool was not too crowded but tables with umbrellas were hard to come by - (they need to put a stop to this reserving tables with a towel when obviously the persons doing this are not around - either back at the room or at the beach - just give it up!).
Wednesday night we drove over the bridge and up US 1 to Sebastian, 7 miles north. We saw the new Publix and some fast food places (mainly pizza) and a Mexican and at least one Italian restaurant. We ate at Captain Hiram's at the Key West Inn on the docks at Sebastian (thanks, PamOKW for the recommendation) - we had nice bbq shrimp on skewers and nice caesar salads and key lime pie, looking over the boat docks - beautiful atmosphere and very low humidity for this time of year in Florida. There is another restaurant just north out on a dock, so there are at least two to choose from. Next time we will probably go early and take a boat tour.
More of the same on Thursday and another excellent dinner at Shutters - I had the same tropical trio and DW had a very tasty meatloaf. We also had two breakfasts at Shutters - I highly recommend the "Healthy Floridian" which consists of a beautiful fruit plate (rasberries, blueberries, starwberries, kiwi, orange, grapefruit, grapes, honeydew, watermelon, cantelope, and pineapple - it put the Polynesian fruit plate to shame!) and a moist orange muffin, homemade yogurt with berries and a small dish of granola. If that sounds too healthy, I recommend one person getting an egg skillet and then sharing both dishes.
In summary, we had a wonderful stay at both resorts, and a very favorable view of BW.
I will try to answer any questions.

Thanks for the great report...and the review of Hiram's. I haven't actually been there yet, just passed on the info. And yes, they should provide all the toilet paper necessary. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter