OKW Info?

doberlady

<font color=royalblue>It just never gets old to me
Hi,

I am planning a poly GV concierge vacation with DU (Tricia) and it's going super great as she is wonderful!

My neighbor (who we are very friendly with) called today to chat and I told her that we were planning a trip for Nov 2002. She is a club member or whatever it's called and said they would not be able to use the points and did I want them for our trip!!!

She said it was the Old Key West 2 bedroom suite. Should I be jumping for joy? Does this mean I don't have to pay for the room? She mentioned something about me paying the monthly charge that month.

Not sure what it's all about but I am excited at the thought of a free suite. On the flip side, I really wanted to stay at the Poly but if the room won't be costing me anything I can go again next year!. Would love more info on OKW and the bus transportation and resturants and stuff.

Thanks!

OKW is my "home resort" and we LOVE it there, I'd be jumping for joy if I were planning a trip 'home' to a 2 bedroom unit there. :) Check out the Disney Vacation Club forum on these boards for lots of info about OKW, more than I can squeeze into one response...

Oh, and if you're using her points, your keycards will have a DVC member notation on them, entitling you to a few discounts here and there as well, which never hurt. :)

hi: find out what your neighbor wants dollar-wise for the use of her points. a 2br unit at okw has about 1300 square feet! you will get a master bedroom with a king bed, a pullout sofa in the living room and 2queens in the 2nd bedroom. you will also have a full kitchen (whether or not you use that white stove decoration is up to you). we love having a full refrigerator for drinks and snacks though. you will also get have a washer/dryer in your unit. check out the official disney site for layouts. the atmosphere at okw is wonderfully laid back and relaxing. the downside (it depends on your point of view) is that okw isn't that close to anything so you'll have to make use of the bus system, which is very good, or drive to the parks. you may get more responses if you post this on the dvc board. here's a link to the official site; also check out the rack rates for this type of unit.
http://dvc.disney.go.com/disneyvaca...modationsindex?id=OldKeyWestAccommodationsGrp

Thanks for the info, I was just over at the dvc board and am now more confused then ever!!

I think she was giving me the points as she said she will lose them for 2002 if they are not used. Said maybe I will just have to pay for the monthly maint. fee?

I guess I will post this over there, is there a way to send my original post to that board?

Thanks!!!
Debbie

Debbie, I think the moderators can move the post...

as for the monthly fee, it depends on how many points she has. For example, I have 150 points a year, and I pay $66 a month (I think! DH pays the bills! *giggle*) for our maintenance fee.

Are there only 2 of you going? 2 people in a 2 bedroom, you'll be swimming in all the room there!! :)

Mod if you are reading this, can you please copy my original post to the DVC board, thanks :))

There are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 kids (3&5). I think they go for a week but we like to go for 10 days, would I be able to downgrade to a 1 bedroom and stay longer?

This will be our 5th trip to WDW and the first time we will not be staying at DL. My nice neighbor is coming over later with all the info!!

Why do I feel disappointed that I might not be staying at the Poly, there is something wrong with me!! Of course my hubby is THRILLED as he had a stroke at the poly concierge price LOL.

deb

We just came back from 7 nights in a 1 bedroom, with my DH, DS (7) and DD (9) and stayed in a 1 bedroom, and there was PLENTY of room - the points can be used to get whatever size would fit you best, if available, and if there are enough for a 2 bedroom, there are enough for a 1 bedroom - it means you and DH get the GORGEOUS King sized bed and jacuzzi tub in the master bedroom, while the kids sleep on the pull out sofa in the huge living room.

Don't worry about feeling disappointed, if you had your heart set on one, and don't have much info about this place, it's to be expected. Check out all the literature with your neighbor, when you see the pictures and information, it might help - although my brother looked at all this with us before we took him down this trip, got him a 1 bedroom for his family...and he was just knocked off his feet when he saw the room for real the first time - he literally had to sit down and try to stop gaping. :) He said that the pictures don't give you the real feel and he had no idea what he actually was getting from us, maybe your neighbor has a video you can watch?

Good luck with planning!

Hi, Deb

I just saw your e-mail request to move the thread to the DVC forum.

It looks like you got some help over on the resorts board, and I'm sure the people here will provide even more. :)

Oh, and don't worry about my old Collectors Board co-mod, DVCReg ... she's relatively harmless. ;) :jester:

Once you stay in a one-bedroom @ OKW you won't regret it. I bet you'll even be looking into buying your own DVC.

You should pay them for the room. Value depends on several factors and you want to know what you are getting into before you agree. A charge of just the yearly fees is extremely low so if they offer that to you, be polite and pay them then send them to dinner or buy them a nice gift at WDW or some similar gesture. That price would be in the range of just over $3 pp and a week in a 2 BR for November will be in the neighborhood of 232 points, a few more if Thanksgiving is included. If it's more in the $7-10 per point range, that's a more "fair" market price and no one should feel obligated for anything extra.

To cover their monthly mortgage payment and or dues for the month or even for the year, but even that sounds like a great deal. But be aware that it is costing your friends alot of points for a 2-bedroom that they might already have reservations on, the amount of points normally run anywhere from 22-40 points a night Sun-Thurs and 54-100 points per night for Fridays & Satudays and the usual price that people rent points for is around $10 per point.

And if you went through Disney and paid cash, you would pay at least $339 plus tax a night for a 2 bedroom at OKW and the rack rate is goes from $459-$730 depending on season also, just like the points above vary on season.

The 2 bedroom is huge, you get a huge master bedroom with kingsize bed with TV, a huge bathroom with walk-in shower, jacuzzi tub, a full kitchen with all the appliances including microwave, living room with pull out sofa there is a large screen TV with VCR there, a dining table and chairs, washer and dryer in the laundry room, your kids will have their own room that is larger than the normal WDW rooms with 2 queens size beds, TV, full bath, their own little refrigerator, microwave.

It is truly like having your own vacation home in WDW, you can really save money even just by having breakfasts each morning and snacks and drinks.

You really need to find out what your friend needs out of this and yes they might be able to change it to a one-bedroom if it is available which would go further since it sounds like you need the 10 days, but even if they couldn't change it, it would be a good idea to use it and also change over to the Poly for the extra days you need.

OK, finally spoke to my friend this morning and here is the deal. They are giving us 230 points and we have to pay the annual fee of $700 in exchange for them. They usually stay for a week in the 2 bedroom, I am going to see if I can get a 1 bedroom for 10 nights during value season nov 2002.

I am soooooooo excited. I have to email DU and let them know, I feel so bad doing that but hey it's saving us thousands and that will be my older DD's 1st year in college!

They told me to go check out the DVC member site, can someone send me the web addy?

Thanks for all your help you guys! You will be sick of all my questions this next year!!

Debbie:pinkbounc :pinkbounc

WOW! You have very generous friends. They are giving you an incredible deal! I'm sure you'll do something equally wonderful to thank them.

You'll have a wonderful time at OKW. It's a great resort!

Generous is not the word!! He actually made made me feel like I was doing him a favor??

For a 1 bedroom for 10 nights for next november comes to 226 points.

ohhh I am going to find them the best gift I can think of!!

I will start saving now for the Poly in 2003 LOL

The Adventure season is the cheapest and covers all of January, Sept 1-30 and Dec 1-14, the next hight season is Choice and runs Oct 1-31, Nov 1-26 and Nov 30 and Dec 15-23.

The 1 bedroom in adventure season runs 16 points a night Sun-Thurs and 40 on Friday and Saturday for a 1 bedroom (160 for a week)

The 1 bedroom in Choice season runs 18 points a night Sun-Thurs and 41 on Friday and Saturday for a 1 bedroom (172 for a week).

A 2 bedroom runs 218-in adventure & 232 for the week in Choice season.

So if they need you to use the 230 points you need to figure out what you need so they can figure out what they need to do the any left over points.

We had our first visit as DVC'ers last year in a 2 bdr at OKW. I cannot tell you how much we enjoyed it. It is like having a wonderful 2 bdr apartment with a great view, wonderful fully stocked kitchen, and a jacuzzi tub to come back to every night, after a long day at the parks. Reiterating what everyone else has said, you have very nice friends and you are getting a real steal. I know the Poly is nice, but just wait until you see this 2 bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter